C Joseph Veleno - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2018, 30th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
What year would he be able to be granted exceptional status and go to QMJHL?

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
That'll be interesting to follow.

Especially since it is unprecedented in the Q. The last few players I can recall even trying were Crosby and Patrice Cormier, both before the official title of "exceptional status" existed to hockey canada and were rejected by the league.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
They shouldn't lessen this exceptional status thing, it'll get too ridiculous. Just like Day didn't deserve it, just from numbers watching and posts here, doesn't seem this player deserves it either. Keep it for McDavid type players, out and out dominating to an extent where you know and it's not even a question he'll perform as a 15 year come Junior time.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
There is no way in hell he should get CHL exceptional status. Just because he looks like a top-15 pick for this years Q draft doesnt mean he is ready to play in the Q next year. There is no rush and hopefully everyone in his camp lets him take his 2 years of midget to develop and fight for the #1 overall spot in 2016 Q draft.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
He's doing quite well with 25 points in 21 games but you're fooling yourself if you think that's enough for exceptional status.

He would have to truly dominate and PPG has been done before.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
He's doing quite well with 25 points in 21 games but you're fooling yourself if you think that's enough for exceptional status.

I hear he gets points from the bench.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I hear he gets points from the bench.

He plays for LSL so nothing would surprise me.

Too bad he wasn't named to the CWG roster to see how he compared to 99s.

Jared McIsaac ('00) was the best D-man on the Nova Scotian CWG roster every time I've seen them but it was all in Atlantic Canada so the sample size isn't enough.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

Has a 14 year old done it before? I cant think of anyone recently

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Has a 14 year old done it before? I cant think of anyone recently

He means PPG by underage has been done before, so its not really exceptional enough to warrant exceptional in CHL. The last couple of underage in NSMMHL Fwd have been at and over point per game and there was nothing there that warranted them playing CHL at 15.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He means PPG by underage has been done before, so its not really exceptional enough to warrant exceptional in CHL. The last couple of underage in NSMMHL Fwd have been at and over point per game and there was nothing there that warranted them playing CHL at 15.

To be fair the nsmmhl is not near the same quality of league, and I cannot remember a 14 year old player in Quebec doing what Veleno has done at this age.

I watched Duffy, Highmore, etc. and none of them were even close to Veleno at 14. Not to say that he has warranted any consideration for EPS but he is definitely far far beyond any 14 year old who has recently played in the nsmmhl.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
To be fair the nsmmhl is not near the same quality of league, and I cannot remember a 14 year old player in Quebec doing what Veleno has done at this age.

I watched Duffy, Highmore, etc. and none of them were even close to Veleno at 14. Not to say that he has warranted any consideration for EPS but he is definitely far far beyond any 14 year old who has recently played in the nsmmhl.

Closest recent comparison must be Jeremy Roy, who had 32 points in 41 games as a 14 year old defenceman (0,78 PPG). Roy is an absolute stud and could have definitely held his own in the QMJHL as a 15 year old (he was playing 25 minutes per game as a 16 year old) but not exactly on the same plane as McDavid. So it depends what we mean by exceptionnal status and where we draw the line which was blurred by the Sean Day case. The thing is Veleno is already 6'0" 170 pounds so he would be physically ready to play in the CHL next year.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Closest recent comparison must be Jeremy Roy, who had 32 points in 41 games as a 14 year old defenceman (0,78 PPG). Roy is an absolute stud and could have definitely held his own in the QMJHL as a 15 year old (he was playing 25 minutes per game as a 16 year old) but not exactly on the same plane as McDavid. So it depends what we mean by exceptionnal status and where we draw the line which was blurred by the Sean Day case. The thing is Veleno is already 6'0" 170 pounds so he would be physically ready to play in the CHL next year.

It wasn't blurred by Sean Day lol he was bigger than some NHLers (6'2" 220lbs) and skated like better than some of them. He was way too talented for midget hockey and needed the challenge of going up a year early. Staying in midget for another year would have developed even more bad habits. Just because he isn't ranked high 18 months before his NHL draft doesn't make it a poor decision.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011

Im not saying specifically any of them are/were. The original recent comment was that he was a PPG player and that he should possibly be considered for CHL EPS. Im skeptical of players being pushed up levels too quick unless there is absolutely nothing left for them to prove. If developmentally ( physically and mentally ) there is nothing left for him to get out of midget, then fine, but i dont quite see that.

Great? no doubt - McDavid-potential? doubtful, and really i think the CHL EPS should be reserved for players more like that. By the time he 'takes off' it may be too late to apply.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
6 points in his last 2 games and up to 31 in 23 games. Like someone else has said the best any 14 year old has done in this league in recent memory is Jeremy Roy with 32 points in 41 games played (he was a D mind you).

Seems like LSL is among the best team in quebec this year, what are the chances we see him at the telus cup?

Edit: Also leads the league with 24 assists.

Last edited:

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
He plays for LSL so nothing would surprise me.

Too bad he wasn't named to the CWG roster to see how he compared to 99s.

Jared McIsaac ('00) was the best D-man on the Nova Scotian CWG roster every time I've seen them but it was all in Atlantic Canada so the sample size isn't enough.

The roster for the CWG will be annonced in January, there's also the Quebec AAA cup in Brossard in late december (roster should be annonced soon). Hoping to see him there

6 points in his last 2 games and up to 31 in 23 games. Like someone else has said the best any 14 year old has done in this league in recent memory is Jeremy Roy with 32 points in 41 games played (he was a D mind you).

Seems like LSL is among the best team in quebec this year, what are the chances we see him at the telus cup?

Edit: Also leads the league with 24 assists.

Jeremy Roy 32 pts, Nicolas Roy 31pts are the two best recently.

thing about Veleno, his offensive skills, hands, vision, and skating ability are pretty obvious but his play away from the puck is very good for a 14yo kid. Decent size as well, still getting stronger but he's holding his own physically this year. I'm not saying he should be playing major junior next year but he's making a strong case this year. Will he get it ? probably not and maybe he doesn't want it. Lots of options for a kid like him.

Last edited:

Ace88*

It wasn't blurred by Sean Day lol he was bigger than some NHLers (6'2" 220lbs) and skated like better than some of them. He was way too talented for midget hockey and needed the challenge of going up a year early. Staying in midget for another year would have developed even more bad habits. Just because he isn't ranked high 18 months before his NHL draft doesn't make it a poor decision.

Giving Day status was a dumb politics move by hockey canada to keep him out of the US.

There is nothing exceptional about his play this season. He is a physical specimen but does not know how to consistently and effectively utilize his gifts at this level, nor do i believe he will end up being anything more than an average, frustrating player.

Hockey RUS

May 7, 2013
Becareful of phantom assists. There seems to be inflated assisted numbers in a few places. He is not ready for the Q. He has a big promotional team pushing him. Not sure what the deal is. He is talented but, seems like alot of people are invested in him.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Becareful of phantom assists. There seems to be inflated assisted numbers in a few places. He is not ready for the Q. He has a big promotional team pushing him. Not sure what the deal is. He is talented but, seems like alot of people are invested in him.

AKA Voracek racking up the second apples...

Hockey RUS

May 7, 2013
Do not get me wrong. Kid is a terrific prospect but, just do not go by stats. Crazy to move him into the Q at 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad