C Joseph Veleno - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2018, 30th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I wonder if going to the GTHL would be an option for either two and if they would still be considered QMJHL property?

I'm pretty sure you would have to move your entire family. You have to be an Ontario resident to switch territories (see Taylor Hall). Going to the GTHL and billeting with someone is the same as going to a prep school for a year (like Adam Dawe at Notre Dame), it doesn't change your territory. Better example could be Cody Petawabano who played for Oakville 2 years ago but was still QMJHL territory.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Warning - shots fired

No shots fired but it's the best hockey level he could play if he doesn't get exceptional status other than moving to Europe and playing u-18/u20. Chances of either of these scenarios are slim to none, expect to see him playing QMAAA next season.
I'm pretty sure you would have to move your entire family. You have to be an Ontario resident to switch territories (see Taylor Hall). Going to the GTHL and billeting with someone is the same as going to a prep school for a year (like Adam Dawe at Notre Dame), it doesn't change your territory. Better example could be Cody Petawabano who played for Oakville 2 years ago but was still QMJHL territory.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
No shots fired but it's the best hockey level he could play if he doesn't get exceptional status other than moving to Europe and playing u-18/u20. Chances of either of these scenarios are slim to none, expect to see him playing QMAAA next season.

I understand but don't understand why people overrate the GTHL so much. They have a ton of quality coming out of the league every year but it's also minor midget. I'm sure I'll get blasted for it but Veleno could go over there & put up 150+ points like Strome & co. or stay home and put up 60-80.

The difference isn't as huge as people want to believe.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
No chance either ends up there.

Parent was very upset that he did not get to go up to BTAAA last year, but I don't think that means he leaves.

There's a kid called Xavier Simoneau who will very likely get surclassed next year as well. Some think he is better than parent.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I understand but don't understand why people overrate the GTHL so much. They have a ton of quality coming out of the league every year but it's also minor midget. I'm sure I'll get blasted for it but Veleno could go over there & put up 150+ points like Strome & co. or stay home and put up 60-80.

The difference isn't as huge as people want to believe.

It is minor midget but it is the strongest minor midget league in Canada. He would be facing the best competition and he would be putting up good stats depending on the team he plays on but he would be facing higher caliber players.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It is minor midget but it is the strongest minor midget league in Canada. He would be facing the best competition and he would be putting up good stats depending on the team he plays on but he would be facing higher caliber players.

Best minor midget league in Canada, no question, but best competition? I disagree.

He's playing against 15, 16, and 17 year olds now in QMAAA as a 14 year old. Some QMJHL eligible, some already drafted. Going back to just playing 15 year olds when he just beat up a bunch of 15 year olds on a national stage as a 14 year old is counter productive.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Jared McIsaac is the one who might want to consider switching leagues next year. I don't think Nova Scotia Midget poses much of a challenge to him anymore.

Quebec Midget is fine competition, no need for Veleno to go anywhere else.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
What are the strengths of Veleno's game? Any recent prospect he compares to in any way? From that TSN Skit a while back, is he a Drouin 2.0 or what?

Straight talk 59

Feb 25, 2015
Best minor midget league in Canada, no question, but best competition? I disagree.

He's playing against 15, 16, and 17 year olds now in QMAAA as a 14 year old. Some QMJHL eligible, some already drafted. Going back to just playing 15 year olds when he just beat up a bunch of 15 year olds on a national stage as a 14 year old is counter productive.
I agree the difference is minimum , just a few more high caliber players ,

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Hockey Prospects has him as the #1 ranked prospect for this year's draft if he were to be eligible for the Q draft

Last edited:

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
Not surprised! You can say what you want about the LSL Lions but they do encourage their top talent towards the NCAA route... Matheson, Campoli and Brushette all recent examples... Good choice for Veleno.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Veleno will play at SSM next year.

I've heard he has been invited to the Q combine which may or may not be an indication that he is closer to getting exceptional status than may have been originally thought.

Saint John might be getting lucky and Drummondville has to be feeling bad about basically trading Gauthier and Veleno for a few months of Carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad