C Joseph Veleno - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2018, 30th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Veleno is being showcased right now and the rest of the team is suffering. He has been showcased since he "moved" to LSL.

I do not think playing in the Q is the best for any 15 year old. More down side than upside.

Someone is rushing him big time. He is a great talent but, still young.

Lakeshore brought him to LSL so he could get better coaching lol.

Lions don't care about that. They want the attention in order to move up.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Held pointless in his 1st playoff game but was buzzing all game. 1+1 in each of the 2 he played after that. He seems to be shooting more which I find encouraging.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Very impressive tonight, best player on the ice. Skating looks great, was a step above the defenders, not Q ready and tries to do too much but he will light up Midget AAA next year alongside a kid by the name of Gabriel Fortier.

The best thing about Joey is his vision, he was making passes out there that you think aren't there. He's grown too, I would put him at 6'2.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Very impressive tonight, best player on the ice. Skating looks great, was a step above the defenders, not Q ready and tries to do too much but he will light up Midget AAA next year alongside a kid by the name of Gabriel Fortier.

The best thing about Joey is his vision, he was making passes out there that you think aren't there. He's grown too, I would put him at 6'2.

On the French boards there was a poster saying a few Q scouts he had talked to said they thought Veleno would be in the Q next year, for what it's worth. I'm sure cwg will be a large factor too.

Justicetoall

Apr 1, 2014
Would be the wrong decision imo.

I have been reading everyone posts about veleno everyone speaks of him being a underage and being surclassed being born in 2000

What everyone should be looking at is what month he was born in January if everyone takes a step back for a moment the kid in reality is a 99
Not a 2000

Yes he was born in January in which gives him a advatange over every other player born in 20000 by 11.5 months

Let's take a 1st midget player that can skate and has hands and put him back a year anyways everyone gets the point

Veleno has actually been playing 1 year down due to the fact that he was born in January he had a opportunity to develop even more then a regular 2000

About drafting him into the Q what's the rush bottom line it's all
About marketing make enough noise

About points there was a post a while ago Mentioning that this gets points even when he is not on the ice which brings me to this point everyone should truly take a step
Back and see the whole picture. Not taking anything from the kid but if he was born in December 29 1999 would he be where he is today think about it

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I have been reading everyone posts about veleno everyone speaks of him being a underage and being surclassed being born in 2000

What everyone should be looking at is what month he was born in January if everyone takes a step back for a moment the kid in reality is a 99
Not a 2000

Yes he was born in January in which gives him a advatange over every other player born in 20000 by 11.5 months

Let's take a 1st midget player that can skate and has hands and put him back a year anyways everyone gets the point

Veleno has actually been playing 1 year down due to the fact that he was born in January he had a opportunity to develop even more then a regular 2000

About points there was a post a while ago Mentioning that this gets points even when he is not on the ice which brings me to this point everyone should truly take a step
Back and see the whole picture. Not taking anything from the kid but if he was born in December 29 1999 would he be where he is today think about it

That's malarkey.

You're assuming everyone in the '00 class was born in December lol

He's not the first kid born in January, he won't be the last. If it was as simple as you make it seem, every kid born in January would be better than every kid born in December.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

Not a 2000

Yes, no question.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Not a 2000

So all the other 2000 players were born on New Year's Eve? :facepalm:

I don't know how you can possibly say that someone who was born in 2000 and is playing with players born in 1998/9 is "playing 1 year down".

By your logic, Connor McDavid, who was born in January 1997 is also "playing 1 year down".

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Not a 2000

But he was born in 2000, therefore he's a 2000 born not 1999 so everything else about that is irrelevant. And he has 2 goals and 5 assists in the CWG which is against 1999 born players, so he's on par with the elite 1999 class anyway.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011

Not a 2000

By this logic, i should be ranking players, then reverse sorting them based on birth date from Dec 31st -> Jan 1. ( or Sep 15th for Pro )

This is hamstering at its finest - you are trying to find non-scoutable reasons to lower his stock. Just watch him play and make choices. There have already been enough study on birth date to know that Birth month give you an advantage in lots of different things including sports, but what you are missing is the fact that the rules for age groups are the same for everyone, so you cannot single him out and say he is at an unfair advantage, no more than i can say a Sept 14 born kid is the least advantaged and i should ignore how he plays. If their skills and upside speak, then they will, age advantage or not. What about Peak height velocity? Tanner stage? In the end, who cares when they were born because in reality if he wasnt an early physical developer by a couple of years we arent having this thread right now because he would be 5'3" and a year away from 6'0. Compressing the Bantam - Midget - Junior transitions for these players is right because the skill and speed match their skillset *and* physical maturity, but it only for that 1 in a million type person.

Do i think he should play Jr at 15? Not sure yet.

Do i think he is talented? Absolutely.

Do i think he can hang with the 99s this season and actually be one of if not *the* best of them? ... you bet!

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013

Not a 2000

Yes he was born in January in which gives him a advatange over every other player born in 20000 by 11.5 months Let's take a 1st midget player that can skate and has hands and put him back a year anyways everyone gets the point

I was not aware that every other player was born in December in the year 2000. If any of them were born in January they would have been as talented as Valeno.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Well he's certainly making a strong case at the Canada games, even tempted to say that he's been the best player of the tournament.

Straight talk 59

Feb 25, 2015
You have some incorrect responses of veleno reality is he is 2000 born not 99.
He has been playing with players 99 /98 up to 24 months older
In the cwg he is 7 pts in 3 g that's pretty good so far .
I am not ready to say if he is q ready have to see rest of cwg , from what I see so far looks ready

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
He's obviously one of the best players in this nation wide tournament filled with 99's.

Question I have is, if he isn't granted the exception to play junior next year, will be stick around and play midget here or he's going to consider another option with higher quality competition?

And what about Xavier Parent, he's coming up next year as well , if he grows he supposedly has more potential then this kid according to some, so will the Q enable two straight years of exceptional player status. . .

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's obviously one of the best players in this nation wide tournament filled with 99's.

Question I have is, if he isn't granted the exception to play junior next year, will be stick around and play midget here or he's going to consider another option with higher quality competition?

And what about Xavier Parent, he's coming up next year as well , if he grows he supposedly has more potential then this kid according to some, so will the Q enable two straight years of exceptional player status. . .

I wonder if going to the GTHL would be an option for either two and if they would still be considered QMJHL property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad