C Isac Lundestrom - Lulea HF, SHL (2018, 23rd, ANA)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Making his first start tonight with getzlaf out

centering Cogliano and Sheerwood
Man, how they've handled Lundeström has really soured me on Anaheim's management. Keeping him up and scratching him(seriously, wtf?) to use him only when more injuries kick in...

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Man, how they've handled Lundeström has really soured me on Anaheim's management. Keeping him up and scratching him(seriously, wtf?) to use him only when more injuries kick in...
Ya im not really sure what the deal was... if your going to keep him for 9 games why not just send Steel down to AHL for seasoning(since hes on pro contract now) and let lundestrom get his 9 games... then call up steel when getzlaf was injured.

but /shrug was probably more to it

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I think that we are overthinking the scratches. He only has 9 games before his contract loses sliding eligibility. Anaheim needs to really see what they have while their centers are out. He still gets to practice with the club and will get his chance in the lineup. This situation will be clear by november easily

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Never understood why people bemoan management when this happens. It's two games.... It's not gonna ruin him.
Also it's not like there isn't value in practicing with an NHL team for a bit. Obviously there's a point where the returns are diminishing, but we haven't hit that point yet, and with him drawing in, shouldn't be a major issue.

Edit: I see Boo Boo hit this point already.

Reactions: Vipers31

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Also it's not like there isn't value in practicing with an NHL team for a bit. Obviously there's a point where the returns are diminishing, but we haven't hit that point yet, and with him drawing in, shouldn't be a major issue.

Yup. And little things that go a long way but getting used to life as an NHL pro, going on road trips, bonding, it's all important

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013

Not to mention that the NHL plays far more games than the swedish elite league so If we had sent him back to sweden their league only plays about 55 games so he would have spent a lot of time not playing and just practicing anyway. At least this way he is adapting to North American ice and our system/team.

Management just wants to put him in in a favorable situation instead of wasting his limited time up being taken advantage of in matchups imo. Now Getzlaf's injury may have forced him in anyway.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Not to mention that the NHL plays far more games than the swedish elite league so If we had sent him back to sweden their league only plays about 55 games so he would have spent a lot of time not playing and just practicing anyway. At least this way he is adapting to North American ice and our system/team.

Management just wants to put him in in a favorable situation instead of wasting his limited time up being taken advantage of in matchups imo. Now Getzlaf's injury may have forced him in anyway.

Elias Pettersson played 85 games + pre-season last season if I counted correctly, averaging 16+ minutes. That's way more minutes of hockey than Lundeström would get in the NHL this season.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Elias Pettersson played 85 games + pre-season last season if I counted correctly, averaging 16+ minutes. That's way more minutes of hockey than Lundeström would get in the NHL this season.
Both Getzlaf and Kesler are out right now. This season we are running four lines. He'll get plenty of time if he plays.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Dude looks like a veteran out there. His defensive and transitional game is so advanced for an 18 year old and he made some great plays offensively. He's seriously looking like a steal.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This kid is gonna be special. Might be on a longer development curve than some of his other draft classmates before he shows up as truly legit, but Anaheim could have a solid 1-2 punch down the middle with him and Steel once Getzlaf finally trails off.

Martin Madden is a brilliant head scout.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck
Oct 18, 2011
He's being handled fine, it makes sense to wait til he's at home to debut so he doesn't get overwhelmed. It's kinda strange some labels put on him. He can skate

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He made a play that is uncharacteristic for an 18yo who will top out as a ''no-skill third line guy'' :sarcasm:

Lundy also shows quite good strenght already. He will be better off returning to SHL (albeit I think AHL would be better, but that is out of the question now as Ducks and his SHL team has an arrangement) once Getzlaf and other forwards return, but he is a damn good draft pick. Certainly can become a legit 2nd line guy or a complimentary 1st line option.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Lundy also shows quite good strenght already. He will be better off returning to SHL (albeit I think AHL would be better, but that is out of the question now as Ducks and his SHL team has an arrangement) once Getzlaf and other forwards return, but he is a damn good draft pick. Certainly can become a legit 2nd line guy or a complimentary 1st line option.

Fully agree. He looks promising, but once Getzlaf comes back I think they should send Lundestrom down to the SHL. If they want him to develop into more than just a third liner (he has legitimate 2C potential IMO) they need to give him first line minutes in a top pro league (AHL/SHL) outside of the NHL. This is how they would properly develop his offensive game at this stage of his young career.

Reactions: Kalv

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Fully agree. He looks promising, but once Getzlaf comes back I think they should send Lundestrom down to the SHL. If they want him to develop into more than just a third liner (he has legitimate 2C potential IMO) they need to give him first line minutes in a top pro league (AHL/SHL) outside of the NHL. This is how they would properly develop his offensive game at this stage of his young career.

I think it's fairly certain he'll return to the SHL for the rest of the season once his 9 games are up. Ever since he was drafted he has been spectacular though and he definitely deserves the time he's getting in the league right now.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think it's fairly certain he'll return to the SHL for the rest of the season once his 9 games are up. Ever since he was drafted he has been spectacular though and he definitely deserves the time he's getting in the league right now.
9 game mark is for juniors, I think Lundy has a 10 game mark for the contract to slide:
Entry-Level Slide Candidates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

PS
As been heard from Swedish media, Lulea (his SHL team) is really waiting him back and accounts that he will be among top players for them. So yeah, he will have a chance to shine there. I would prefer AHL to get used to playing style better but well what can you do.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I struggle to fully agree. While yes, top 6 minutes and responsibilities is ideal for his development, the kid at 18 is already one of Anaheim's most reliable players at both ends of the ice. I mean he's got a few things to learn, but his instincts and ability to hound the puck and almost always jar it free and make a smart pass is a hell of a lot more consistent than its been for most of the guys in the roster. At 18 he's already more than NHL capable.

I just can't think of how much better top 6 minutes in SHL competition is gonna serve him versus nightly NHL quality competition.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3