C Isac Lundestrom - Lulea HF, SHL (2018, 23rd, ANA)

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He won't magically start to score goals, even pure playmakers like Backstrom have shown that ability Lundestrom has not, he also looked pretty bad at the WJC.

Not saying you're wrong on everything else, but wasn't it team Sweden that all looked bad because the whole team was sick?

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So because he didn't score many goals he had a below average season? That's terrible analysis.

Plenty of players have had "bad" WJCs and have become excellent players just as plenty have had excellent tournaments and gone on to be bad NHLers.

His production has always been average at best. Might be still a decent 3rd , 4th liner good at zone entries/possession but not expected to produce much offensively.

Reactions: VictorLustig

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Not saying you're wrong on everything else, but wasn't it team Sweden that all looked bad because the whole team was sick?

No only 5 players were sick which was later in the tournament, the team did look bad though but players like Bemstrom, Brannstrom still had good tournys.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
His production has always been average at best. Might be still a decent 3rd , 4th liner good at zone entries/possession but not expected to produce much offensively.
His production in the SHL has not been average at his age, it has been way above average. Most players his age aren't even playing at that level much less producing. That's just wrong.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
His production in the SHL has not been average at his age, it has been way above average. Most players his age aren't even playing at that level much less producing. That's just wrong.

Well lately Sweden is producing mostly bottom 6 players and role players some of whom were around his production in the SHL. When you look at his ppg I realized its pretty good historically for a u20 player in the league. He could end up better than I expect because of this but the sample size is small. I was talking more his production at lower levels in juniors plus what I saw watching him play in NA and WJC this year that left me with desiring more.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

On par with Zibanejad at same age. Thatd be a great player to get at #23

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well lately Sweden is producing mostly bottom 6 players and role players some of whom were around his production in the SHL. When you look at his ppg I realized its pretty good historically for a u20 player in the league. He could end up better than I expect because of this but the sample size is small. I was talking more his production at lower levels in juniors plus what I saw watching him play in NA and WJC this year that left me with desiring more.
He looked solid in nhl/ahl i thought.... obviously wed love to see him score more but he is a smart player and i thought he showed offensive upside.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He looked solid in nhl/ahl i thought.... obviously wed love to see him score more but he is a smart player and i thought he showed offensive upside.

Might be to hard towards him but Swedish hockey has been producing top 6 players rather sporadically recently. I don't know what expectations are for Lundestrom though, especially from Duck fans.

dragovici

Dec 24, 2013
in orbit
I’d say that if Ducks fans were happy to draft him at 23rd last year, you should feel even better about that now. Huge improvement this season.

Reactions: deflowd

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Might be to hard towards him but Swedish hockey has been producing top 6 players rather sporadically recently. I don't know what expectations are for Lundestrom though, especially from Duck fans.

Ducks fans are pretty high on him after how well he played in his time in the NHL. His poise with the puck and defensive play were outstanding for any rookie player, let alone an 18 year old. Also showed good vision and hands, he had a couple nice cross ice passes. Definitely exceeded our boards expectations of him from when he was drafted.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His production should be compared to other players drafted around his range, not every player. If you compare him to every player, his production is very good, but thats an unproductive comparison.

In what is looking like a weak draft, I don't think its a bad outcome to get a quality 3rd line center who can create some offense with playmaking and skating, along with playing solid defense, but lacks the high end skill to be more than a 30-40 point player per season. He was picked 23rd. Most players picked 23rd are not better than a good 3rd line center.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
His production should be compared to other players drafted around his range, not every player. If you compare him to every player, his production is very good, but thats an unproductive comparison.

In what is looking like a weak draft, I don't think its a bad outcome to get a quality 3rd line center who can create some offense with playmaking and skating, along with playing solid defense, but lacks the high end skill to be more than a 30-40 point player per season. He was picked 23rd. Most players picked 23rd are not better than a good 3rd line center.
This makes it sound like progression is linear which it’s not. Although I do agree with him topping out as a 3C

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I was very impressed with him at times when he played in the SHL playoffs for Luleå. He showed flashes of brilliance and will definitely do better than De La Rose.

Obviously it's very difficult to project if he'll be a top 6 player but everything so far points towards him being atleast a defensively reliable 3C.

My guess is he'll be in the middle 6; spending a lot of time in the 3rd line but not looking too out of place in the 2nd either.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
He kind of reminds me of a fellow Swede Marcus Johansson. Lundestrom might not be as gifted with the puck as MoJo, but his style of play is more suited to the NHL. I'm looking forward to his 1st full season in the North America.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I guess... i dont think any of us think he has 1c upside... but 2-3c is in the realm of possibility... id say hes a 3c minimum

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
On par with Zibanejad at same age. Thatd be a great player to get at #23
Que?

Zibanejad's U20 season: 20 points in 42 games in the NHL, 11 in 23 in the AHL.
Lundeström's U20 season: 2 in 15 in the NHL, 6 in 12 in the AHL, 9 in 17 in the SHL.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
For what it`s worth, Isac turned another gear towards the end of the year and kept it going in the playoffs with 2+6 in 10 games.

His first part of the year he bounced around from NHL to AHL to WJC to SHL. He still certainly can improve his offensive games as there are flaws, which is normal to have for a late first round pick in D+1 year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad