C Isac Lundestrom - Lulea HF, SHL (2018, 23rd, ANA)

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I struggle to fully agree. While yes, top 6 minutes and responsibilities is ideal for his development, the kid at 18 is already one of Anaheim's most reliable players at both ends of the ice. I mean he's got a few things to learn, but his instincts and ability to hound the puck and almost always jar it free and make a smart pass is a hell of a lot more consistent than its been for most of the guys in the roster. At 18 he's already more than NHL capable.

I just can't think of how much better top 6 minutes in SHL competition is gonna serve him versus nightly NHL quality competition.

Point taken regarding NHL comp. That experience is valuable, and I think a 9 game stint will serve him well in that regard, especially for knowing what to improve upon for next year.

But playing a top role in the SHL will still allow him very good competition playing against men while giving him more opportunities, icetime, power play time, and especially more confidence than an NHL stint in a bottom 6 role. That’s how I see it, anyway.

Reactions: felixpettersson

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I mean, he did spend most of the past two years playing as more of a depth player against men, and that did not really seem to stunt his development. It's a bit weird to insist that now is the time that he has to play at a lower level than he appears to be capable of for the sake of a leading role. I can see some upside in either scenario, so I'll just look forward to seeing what happens.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I mean, he did spend most of the past two years playing as more of a depth player against men, and that did not really seem to stunt his development. It's a bit weird to insist that now is the time that he has to play at a lower level than he appears to be capable of for the sake of a leading role. I can see some upside in either scenario, so I'll just look forward to seeing what happens.
I think it would be better that he now, after a couple of years, can take on a leading role on a team. But like you said, both options have some upside. I`m leaning more to sending him down tho

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'd love for him to go to the AHL. I think getting acclimated to the NA style of play and the smaller rink is more important than going back home and playing against men again.

But honestly, I'm thinking he will stay with the Ducks all year and Steel might be the guy to go down. However, the Lundestrom-Steel-Sherwood line has been real good so far

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It appears that the Ducks have decided to keep Lundestrom past the 9 game mark, and may be sliding Henrique back to LW in order to have room for the kid to remain at center full time.

What another gem of a pick by Martin Madden and co. At 18 Lundestrom is ready to contribute as a center, on both sides of the puck. Very impressed with his maturity and IQ, and laughing at myself for believing the scouts who questioned his upside. He'll be a key contributor in Anaheim for years to come.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Seems odd to keep him up in a checking role. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You see a lot more success with taking it slower with guys rather than taking the play them earlier in a lesser role route. He's a real smart player though so we'll see

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Seems odd to keep him up in a checking role. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You see a lot more success with taking it slower with guys rather than taking the play them earlier in a lesser role route. He's a real smart player though so we'll see

They used him in that role last night, but I see Steel being sent down when Rowney returns to take the 4C spot. That should open up ice for Lundestrom to play third line behind Getzlaf and Kesler, which seems a fairly ideal way to break him in.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Looked great in tonight’s game. Got himself an assist wit his nice all around play. I think he’s still being underrated. He looks like a real possible top 6 center down the road. More of a 2C than 1C but you never know with these types.

Reactions: crossbownerf
Oct 18, 2011
Yeah I want that kid away from the ducks and playing alot at center.

Does anyone know if an agreement has been made for him to stay in North America?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Isac just had his first game in the AHL with the Gulls.

He looked fantastic. 2 assists in the game and was a threat to score multiple times.

By all accounts it was an excellent debut. Should be a great learning opportunity for Lundestrom playing in the AHL.

He’ll be an elite addition for Sweden at the WJC as well.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
In the WJC hes looking pretty bad tbh.

If you are looking for Lundestrom to "wow" you then you'll be constantly disappointed. I think he can definitely do better though. And if he has 3 points in 2 games while playing "bad", can't wait to see his production when he starts playing "good". Outside of the PP, I don't think any Swedish player has looked particularly good so far in the two games they've played.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
There is not enough offense in his game to center a scoring line, even at the WJC level. I've barely noticed him so far, similar to last year.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
There is not enough offense in his game to center a scoring line, even at the WJC level. I've barely noticed him so far, similar to last year.

Worse offensively than de la Rose then? I remember at least de la Rose creating chances and producing when he played in the WJC, even though he can't find any offense in the pros now.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
If you are looking for Lundestrom to "wow" you then you'll be constantly disappointed. I think he can definitely do better though. And if he has 3 points in 2 games while playing "bad", can't wait to see his production when he starts playing "good". Outside of the PP, I don't think any Swedish player has looked particularly good so far in the two games they've played.
Since youre trying to make the point that no one on the swedish squad have been impressive, I take it as A) youre a ducks fan and cant give credit to other teams prospects, for example Brännström whos been beyond good thus far, or B) that you havnt watched the games.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Worse offensively than de la Rose then? I remember at least de la Rose creating chances and producing when he played in the WJC, even though he can't find any offense in the pros now.
De la Rose survived b/c of his size and speed, Lundström dosnt have that. Hes turning into a 3-4th liner at this point. But hes young, maybe he turns a corner. Ive said it before, the Ducks shouldve sent him back to Sweden for a few years

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
So sounds like his point totals might be a little misleading for people that have been able to watch him. Thank you for the feedback.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Since youre trying to make the point that no one on the swedish squad have been impressive, I take it as A) youre a ducks fan and cant give credit to other teams prospects, for example Brännström whos been beyond good thus far, or B) that you havnt watched the games.

I've watched the games and specifically mentioned the 5 on 5 play (i.e. except PP). Brannstrom has done all his damage on the PP. If you have a different opinion on 5 on 5 play then so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad