C Isac Lundestrom - Lulea HF, SHL (2018, 23rd, ANA)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Perhaps, but Rakkel was hardly lighting up scoresheets of wowing with skill at Lundestroms age.
The commonalities in that regard are, that they are Swedish and drafted by the Ducks. But, a player pulling off what Rakell did after being a sub-par scorer for a 1st rounder is generally the exception. Either way, the Ducks have a fairly strong drafting history in the first. Lundestrom could become an impact player like Rakell, although, I think the expectation is a guy who can produce adequately in a middle 6 role.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
After today's cuts, it appears he's made the Ducks opening night roster (albeit with Kesler, Perry, Eaves and Ritchie not there).

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
...and most likely he’ll stay a third-liner for his whole career
That seems like it could well be one of the classic mistakes of casual scouting, where a young player that plays beyond his age group who consciously plays a safer game because it helps his pro team win more games is being underrated, because he isn't out there being flashy against other teenagers.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That seems like it could well be one of the classic mistakes of casual scouting, where a young player that plays beyond his age group who consciously plays a safer game because it helps his pro team win more games is being underrated, because he isn't out there being flashy against other teenagers.
Lundestrom isn't just not flashy, he's very limited in how he creates offense, at least from what I saw in his D year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When he was a 17 year old playing in a men's league? That's shocking.
Age has little bearing on how a player produces offense. Lundy was one of my favorite prospect this past year, loved that speed and I thought there was real potential for a top 6 C, at first, but then I realized he doesnt have much creativity. Hes most likely a middle 6 C, which isnt bad.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lundestrom isn't just not flashy, he's very limited in how he creates offense, at least from what I saw in his D year.

Age has little bearing on how a player produces offense. Lundy was one of my favorite prospect this past year, loved that speed and I thought there was real potential for a top 6 C, at first, but then I realized he doesnt have much creativity. Hes most likely a middle 6 C, which isnt bad.

The thing is, the NHL...and heck, sometimes even the waiver wire are littered with players who have more "creativity" than they know what to do with at the NHL level. There's nothing wrong with offensive creativity. But at the same time, if you can get a guy like Lundestrom who actually has the discipline to play the game both ways, and especially as a Center where the responsibility is heaviest...you can often find some "incomplete" players with an overabundance of "creativity" who really need a stabilizing presence to facilitate what they do. Especially when, like with Lundestrom...they show the offensive instincts, vision, and puck skills to keep up with what more creative players are doing around them and really facilitate that, while remaining the "sober second thought".

The whole, "very limited" thing just doesn't seem all that applicable to a guy like Lundestrom to me. He's not a Brandon Sutter who just kinda flies a helicopter line. He's not a Sam Gagner whose "creativity" is limited by his inability to penetrate the perimeter. He's potentially the better halves of both, combined.

For a late 1st round pick, if you get a "middle-6" aka "fringe Top-6" Center like that, you're doing pretty alright. If they're edging toward that straight out of the draft, that's an awfully nice early bonus.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Meh. Its more a case of putting a prospect in a bottom six role when he could develop into something greater in the SHL (not kids). There loads of examples of gifted swedish players that shouldve stayed at home, working on their offense, instead of being rushed into defensive roles in the NHL

Reactions: felixpettersson

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Meh. Its more a case of putting a prospect in a bottom six role when he could develop into something greater in the SHL (not kids). There loads of examples of gifted swedish players that shouldve stayed at home, working on their offense, instead of being rushed into defensive roles in the NHL
I don't think that you understood his point.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Well, where did he get that "other teenagers" thing from?
He's talking about the differences between scouting a 17 year-old that's in the SEL playing against older, professional veterans versus scouting someone of the same age playing in, say, the OHL(or some other junior league). Players can easily have their strengths masked in the former and their weaknesses masked in the latter.

On a related note, I'm still trying to figure out why a player, that's definitely going to be a third liner according to you, needs to play in the SEL instead of playing a third liner in the NHL, right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vipers31

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
On a related note, I'm still trying to figure out why a player, that's definitely going to be a third liner according to you, needs to play in the SEL instead of playing a third liner in the NHL, right now.

It's not like being a third liner is the death sentence it once was. If you're on the third line on a lot of teams, you're still in offensive situations without necessarily playing against top offensive or defensive lines. It's a position a young player can thrive in now.

If he is physically and mentally mature enough to handle it, why not put him in that situation?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
It's not like being a third liner is the death sentence it once was. If you're on the third line on a lot of teams, you're still in offensive situations without necessarily playing against top offensive or defensive lines. It's a position a young player can thrive in now.

If he is physically and mentally mature enough to handle it, why not put him in that situation?
I agree.

He was the same at the U20s last year and the U18s the year before.
He wasn't the same at the NHL camp that he is currently attending.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I agree.

He wasn't the same at the NHL camp that he is currently attending.

Which is great. He's such a smart player and his skating is just beautiful.

I hope he doesn't get locked in a third line role because he does have a lot of skill.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm

True, he is limited in HOW he creates offense. You could argue Laine is too though, doesn't stop him from scoring 40+ goals.
Not saying Lundeström will be that good (of course not) but he, imo, has the potential to be more than a 3rd liner.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
True, he is limited in HOW he creates offense. You could argue Laine is too though, doesn't stop him from scoring 40+ goals.
Not saying Lundeström will be that good (of course not) but he, imo, has the potential to be more than a 3rd liner.
Never said otherwise, but he lacks a dynamic quality that makes first liners.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Really shocked by how this kids offense is being underrated. He looks like he has a well above average shot and his playmaking and vision seem more than adequate given his age/league where he could develop into a top 6 player. He seems like the type of player that if paired with 2 excellent wingmen, could be a very very good 1C or if paired with a top C, he could be a wonderful 1st line winger. He's so young.

I think he's being well overlooked though. The offensive skills are there. He just needs time to develop them. Those saying he's a career 3rd liner, I'm a bit shocked.

If he sticks with the Ducks perhaps he will start getting some recognition. The Ducks are actually a perfect team for him as I think he has a lot in common with their type of centers.

Very much thinking of Kesler/Getzlaf. Except in the circle I guess. He seems fast enough no doubt, maybe could work on skating a tad, but I think he's above average there also.

Some sites, whether they are highly reputable or not, had him as a possible lottery pick prior to the draft. Some even suggested he could be the first C off the board in a admittedly weak draft at the position. While that didn't happen and he dropped a bit, still came in the first round in a good location. I think he could be the player in this draft that gets the Tolvanen treatment. A player that came out of the draft luke-warm but eventually becomes considered the steal of the draft.

He also hasn't had the opportunity to really star for Sweden Overlooked in favor of elite superstar prospects. I think he would do damn good centering one of their top lines.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Never said otherwise, but he lacks a dynamic quality that makes first liners.
Idk when he was drafted I wasn't expecting much offense.. but he is a lot more skilled then people are giving him credit for. Maybe he played a smarter game in sweeden/for sweeden… but he has shown that hes not just a potential 3c.

Other thing is if he does stay with the team(him and steel are pretty neck and neck imo)… the way our team is set up itll be a 2a/2b type thing and hell likely have some pretty solid linemates and played a good chunk of mins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->