Prospect Info: C Dillon Dube, 56th overall

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think so. I think he was rushed due to draft position

Negative.
He was sent right back to junior in his D+1 after surgery. He dominated that league in like a dozen games, went to the playoffs with a really weak Kingston team, got bounced right away by a really, really good Battalion team (a team that was trying to go back to back finals appearance).

Came in for the final game of the season, played good was the better option than a lot of that depth that year; also Byron was hurt, pretty sure Bouma was too or just sucking too hard. He ended up being one of the best Flames players in that 18 year old playoff appearance, like, really really good.

Benny was too good for the OHL. There was no point for him to put up a 130 point season there. His D+2 he looked like a really, really good NHLer; I thought his rookie season was more impressive than Sean's being honest. I really think we messed up the development somewhere; it may have been when they tried him at center when he just wasn't ready, then rode that off into the sunset instead of adapting. We had no depth at the time.

Reactions: Cyrano

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Negative.
He was sent right back to junior in his D+1 after surgery. He dominated that league in like a dozen games, went to the playoffs with a really weak Kingston team, got bounced right away by a really, really good Battalion team (a team that was trying to go back to back finals appearance).

Came in for the final game of the season, played good was the better option than a lot of that depth that year; also Byron was hurt, pretty sure Bouma was too or just sucking too hard. He ended up being one of the best Flames players in that 18 year old playoff appearance, like, really really good.

Benny was too good for the OHL. There was no point for him to put up a 130 point season there. His D+2 he looked like a really, really good NHLer; I thought his rookie season was more impressive than Sean's being honest. I really think we messed up the development somewhere; it may have been when they tried him at center when he just wasn't ready, then rode that off into the sunset instead of adapting. We had no depth at the time.
I found that Bennett's issue was trying to do too much. The puck would end up a foot off his stick, which he could catch up to when he was faster and against worse players, or he would end up getting driven into the boards and turning over the puck. He would never take zone entries laterally and would just try to push on forward. Dube obviously does not do this.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
No its not. Much better chance of Bennett breaking out than regressing out of the NHL

How so?

Statistically he's regressed every year.

At what point do we stop pointing at his age as a better indication of future potential than actual performance?

Statistically, Bennett is more likely to fail to break 25 points this year than he is to actually break 30. Is a 25 point (or worse) winger who takes terrible penalties on the last year of his contract not going to be hard done for a one way NHL contract?

Don't get me wrong, I hope Bennett does break out and I'll gladly eat crow but I think it's more likely that we'll be talking about how big of a bust he is after another 20+ game pointless streak or two.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How so?

Statistically he's regressed every year.

At what point do we stop pointing at his age as a better indication of future potential than actual performance?

Statistically, Bennett is more likely to fail to break 25 points this year than he is to actually break 30. Is a 25 point (or worse) winger who takes terrible penalties on the last year of his contract not going to be hard done for a one way NHL contract?

Don't get me wrong, I hope Bennett does break out and I'll gladly eat crow but I think it's more likely that we'll be talking about how big of a bust he is after another 20+ game pointless streak or two.

Statistically, he's actually more likely to bounce back.

His P/60 is similar to someone like Backlund, mind you, he gets much easier minutes (thus why that stat is flawed).
More importantly his expected goals forward was superior to Monahan, his individual expected goals is among the highest on the team. His PDO was inferior to the Buffalo Sabres. Let that soak in. His shooting and goaltending on ice was so shite, that the Buffalo Sabres, a team that won 25 games last year, had better luck than Sam.

Really I'd like to see Benny get some consistent time with some NHL'ers. More than a couple games.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Statistically, he's actually more likely to bounce back.

His P/60 is similar to someone like Backlund, mind you, he gets much easier minutes (thus why that stat is flawed).
More importantly his expected goals forward was superior to Monahan, his individual expected goals is among the highest on the team. His PDO was inferior to the Buffalo Sabres. Let that soak in. His shooting and goaltending on ice was so ****e, that the Buffalo Sabres, a team that won 25 games last year, had better luck than Sam.

Really I'd like to see Benny get some consistent time with some NHL'ers. More than a couple games.

I really wish we'd stop talking about Bennett in the Dube thread considering, you know, we're already talking about Bennett is multiple threads as is.

All those advanced stats and yet no results. Interesting how that works. Never been a fan of PDO, probably never will be.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So going forward... how often do you think you'll hear an announcer say "Doobie" instead of "Doo bae"? :popcorn:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
For the stylistic comparisons to Brayden Point, the Athletic released an article about how Dube actually does model his game after Brayden Point.

More hot-handed than hotheaded, rookie Dillon Dube learning...

For Dube, a smidge under 190 pounds and a hair under five-foot-11, there’s a handy role model – Brayden Point, the undersized Calgarian who silenced critics with a dominating career for WHL Moose Jaw, with last season’s 32-goal campaign for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Point, in his earlier years, had been a teammate of Dube’s brother.

“I went to every single one of their games,” Dube said. “And my dad said every single time, ‘Make sure you watch him – he’s incredible.’ It’s pretty cool when he was younger, how at every level they said, ‘Oh, he’s too small to do this, to do that.’ But every year he went up and led the league in points.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Okay boyos, this is the DILLION #1RW DUBE thread. Let's take the Bam Sennett talk to the appropriate thread.

:sarcasm:

cFl97hi.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Bam Sennett apparently is an alter ego to a football player's instagram and tumblr...

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gets a shot at #1C tonight with Johnny. Looks like he’s won a top nine spot with the team to start. Dube-Ryan-Neal would be my guess as our 3rd line.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Gets a shot at #1C tonight with Johnny. Looks like he’s won a top nine spot with the team to start. Dube-Ryan-Neal would be my guess as our 3rd line.

I hope you're right (well on the top 9 for Dube not the Neal part) but if that was the case shouldn't they be playing those guys together today to get them some chemistry going?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I hope you're right (well on the top 9 for Dube not the Neal part) but if that was the case shouldn't they be playing those guys together today to get them some chemistry going?

That was the line against SJ. And Neal has by far his best game.

If they keep the 3M line together and put Lindholm with Monahan. Then to me our two best players after that are clearly Ryan and Dube.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That was the line against SJ. And Neal has by far his best game.

If they keep the 3M line together and put Lindholm with Monahan. Then to me our two best players after that are clearly Ryan and Dube.

My issue (as mentioned before) is keeping the 3M line together I think that is a really bad idea.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
My issue (as mentioned before) is keeping the 3M line together I think that is a really bad idea.

I think you give them a chance to figure it out. They were dominant vs Sam Jose. If it doesn’t work you can see what Czarnik can do up there.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think you give them a chance to figure it out. They were dominant vs Sam Jose. If it doesn’t work you can see what Czarnik can do up there.

The issue is that with the 3m line together that again forces Tkachuk into defensive heavy minutes and I don't trust a Dube-Ryan-Neal line to pick up the secondary scoring slack if the top line isn't going.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The issue is that with the 3m line together that again forces Tkachuk into defensive heavy minutes and I don't trust a Dube-Ryan-Neal line to pick up the secondary scoring slack if the top line isn't going.

I don't know about that. The 3M line pulled heavy defensive tasks for Gully because it was the only line capable of defensive tasks. However, that line did show a propensity for offense by dragging the puck into the opposition zone and getting good chances. Keeping the 3M together doesn't limit those player's offense unless the coach limits the offense on purpose by limiting their ozone time. Add some Ozone chances and it's perfectly fine.

The question that should be asked instead is how defensively responsible is a Dube - Ryan - Neal line?

Also, how defensively responsible and how much offense must dry up on a Gaudreau - Mony - Lindholm line for the 3M to be super buried in defensive responsibilities to the point they don't have offensive chances. This on top of the fact Monahan is actually healthy (and faster if I'm not mistaken).

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't know about that. The 3M line pulled heavy defensive tasks for Gully because it was the only line capable of defensive tasks. However, that line did show a propensity for offense by dragging the puck into the opposition zone and getting good chances. Keeping the 3M together doesn't limit those player's offense unless the coach limits the offense on purpose by limiting their ozone time. Add some Ozone chances and it's perfectly fine.

If Frolik and Backlund are on the 2nd one what line is capable of defensive minutes?

It’s certainly not a one based around Jankowski and Bennett or Ryan and Neal. Czarnik is not a good fit for a defensive line either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad