Prospect Info: C Dillon Dube, 56th overall

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Frolik is an easy casualty this offseason IMO. He probably will have enough value to net us something in return without having to be dumped, we could use the contract room, and IMO any of Mangiapane, Dube, or Bennett could take his spot in the lineup. I like Frolik as a player but he's a perfect casualty of the cap here.

Brodie on the other hand is a more gratuitous trade this off season if we make it, but I am on board for that one too.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Frolik is an easy casualty this offseason IMO. He probably will have enough value to net us something in return without having to be dumped, we could use the contract room, and IMO any of Mangiapane, Dube, or Bennett could take his spot in the lineup. I like Frolik as a player but he's a perfect casualty of the cap here.

Brodie on the other hand is a more gratuitous trade this off season if we make it, but I am on board for that one too.

Probably more of a discussion for the Armchair thread, but I think there's a few factors around Brodie. Depends on what his ask is for a new deal, how our young guys progress, if we want him as expansion bait, and what his trade value is. If Treliving/Peters think we can replace Brodie with our young guys and shore up our offense with his cap hit/whatever we trade him for, I'd consider it heavily.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The comparison to Point is pretty outlandish but it's looking like he'll be a quality top 6 forward.

I'd just like to point out that Dube knows Brayden Point and models his game after him. Whether he has the same ceiling is a different story, but for sure there are stylistic differences. Even a Brayden Point lite is excellent from Dube.

If the Flames management slow cook Dube, that's fine. Point didn't join the Tampa roster till he was 20, wasn't it? Furthermore, if management continues to develop Dube's centre game, that versatility could be excellent as well.

I hope we keep Frolik personally. Less money for Tkachuk and keeping Frolik is ideal.

I honestly wonder if Treliving uses the cap space in negotiations. "If you're insistent on that AAV, I'll give it to you on one condition, you're the one personally notifying that player X is on the trade block to keep you around. Option B is a lower AAV or a bridge at this rate. We're trying to build a team and we're only working on trying to be fair to the player and team at the same time." That would be cold as F if he did and seemingly within his modus operandi. I wonder if it might be why he's so damn good at RFA negotiations.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd just like to point out that Dube knows Brayden Point and models his game after him. Whether he has the same ceiling is a different story, but for sure there are stylistic differences. Even a Brayden Point lite is excellent from Dube.

If the Flames management slow cook Dube, that's fine. Point didn't join the Tampa roster till he was 20, wasn't it? Furthermore, if management continues to develop Dube's centre game, that versatility could be excellent as well.

I honestly wonder if Treliving uses the cap space in negotiations. "If you're insistent on that AAV, I'll give it to you on one condition, you're the one personally notifying that player X is on the trade block to keep you around. Option B is a lower AAV or a bridge at this rate. We're trying to build a team and we're only working on trying to be fair to the player and team at the same time." That would be cold as F if he did and seemingly within his modus operandi. I wonder if it might be why he's so damn good at RFA negotiations.
Dube will be 21, in 4 months and we’re soon to be entering a cap crunch, with the window open. It’s a pretty safe bet that we won’t be slow roasting anyone. If management feels as though a player can help win now, they’ll be on the big club, fully cooked or not. As far as the rest of it is concerned, there’s an entire hierarchy in place to handle player transactions and movement. It would be extremely unprofessional and you probably wouldn’t have a GM job very long.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Dube will be 21, in 4 months and we’re soon to be entering a cap crunch, with the window open. It’s a pretty safe bet that we won’t be slow roasting anyone. If management feels as though a player can help win now, they’ll be on the big club, fully cooked or not. As far as the rest of it is concerned, there’s an entire hierarchy in place to handle player transactions and movement. It would be extremely unprofessional and you probably wouldn’t have a GM job very long.

No slow cooking. Everybody goes in the microwave

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I dunno, Microwaves did bad things to Lazar lol
Did they though, or is he just not that talented? Kid should probably be in the NHL right now, somewhere. He’s more than capable of putting up 15-20 from the 4th line, Peters just likes Hathaway, other assets better. Only 5 guys selected in the 1st round, bellow him, have more NHL points. He was pretty over hyped at the draft but is still a useful NHLer, IMO.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Eh, I think we have the pool to slow cook him. the latter part, possibly. I'm just wondering if its a possible jerk move any org employs.

Did they though, or is he just not that talented? Kid should probably be in the NHL right now, somewhere. He’s more than capable of putting up 15-20 from the 4th line, Peters just likes Hathaway, other assets better. Only 5 guys selected in the 1st round, bellow him, have more NHL points. He was pretty over hyped at the draft but is still a useful NHLer, IMO.

He broke tournament records set by both Stamkos and Crosby. I think that shows that he has at least a bit of talent. Lazar was compared to Lucic and Mike Fischer. Those guys were pretty good in their prime. The fact Lazar has completely fizzled out IMO is indicative of the concerns other posters have in rushing a prospect. Dude seemingly should at least be a decent middle 6 player, no?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We have too many Forwards. Something has to give. We aren't short on Defencemen either.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We have too many Forwards. Something has to give. We aren't short on Defencemen either.

I feel like Tre will make some moves, in terms of cents for a dollar.
You're correct. This team has too many forwards. But in a years' time, we're going to likely be losing one of Jankowski, Bennett or maybe someone like Doc. Depending on Seattle wants, or what we want to bribe them with

Dube is going to be a top 9 NHLer, you can bank on that; his production at 20 years old in the AHL tells us he'll be an NHLer. We'll be bumping Frolik in the summer, that's going to happen without a shadow of a doubt. So that opens a spot too.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It's a nice dream

Yup. Dream indeed. That's why I said excellent. Not acceptable or something like that.

- Equal to Brayden Point, home run.
- 70-80% Brayden Point, excellent/awesome.
- 50% Brayden Point, pretty good.
- 25% Brayden Point, acceptable, not bad, disappointment for some.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It’s funny because I actually feel as though Point is probably one of the better comparables to Gilmour. The Kucherov effect is real and has just as big of impact than the Johnny effect. I feel raw skill wise, Point is probably fairly comparable to Duchene, but it’s his drive that sets him apart and the rest is the Kuch effect. Monahan away from Johnny, is probably a 50-60 point centre. Point away from Kucherov is probably a 60-70 point centre. A Point-lite centre would probably be around a 50-55 point centre and I’m being cautious until Dube actually looks good in the NHL, but I think that’s a pretty good goal for the kid.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
How's everyone expecting him to do next year? Does he make the big club out of training camp?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
How's everyone expecting him to do next year? Does he make the big club out of training camp?

I think are thinking Mangiapane is a step ahead. I personally think Dube could seriously steal a top 6 spot, providing he's healthy. Honestly I have fairly high hopes for this kid. I think he could be a lot like a Matthew Lombardi, in terms of upside and production.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I think are thinking Mangiapane is a step ahead. I personally think Dube could seriously steal a top 6 spot, providing he's healthy. Honestly I have fairly high hopes for this kid. I think he could be a lot like a Matthew Lombardi, in terms of upside and production.

That would be great, but he seems to lack finishing skills. However the good thing is Dube seems to get in the right position quite a bit, so that shows to me he has high IQ. Hopefully he can work on his finishing, I really like this guy.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Not sure if he makes the team out of camp, but I have no doubt he will be on the big team by the end of the year. Either because of injuries or lighting up the A.
Kid had some bad puck luck last year, but gets to the right areas, has a great motor,
I think he could be a big part of this team in a few years.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I just hope we continue to develop him at center instead of popping him onto a wing to fill a hole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad