Prospect Info: C Dillon Dube, 56th overall

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If Frolik and Backlund are on the 2nd one what line is capable of defensive minutes?

It’s certainly not a one based around Jankowski and Bennett or Ryan and Neal. Czarnik is not a good fit for a defensive line either.

Gaudreau - Mony - Lindholm. Lindholm is defensively responsible. Mony is no longer playing at half his health.

That, and the coach better teach the bottom 6 to be able to at least hold their own so that you don't have to over use the 3M line. Splitting the 3M line doesn't exactly create more lines with more defensive capabilities IMO. It just waters down a strong shut down line which would no longer be able to hold off the league's elite scoring lines if split.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If you replace Tkachuk with Bennett that line is still as good defensively or Dube.

I don’t see the point in forcing the top line into more defensive roles in order to force a line that wasn’t great last year back together and to give Frolik more minutes than he should be getting.

There just seems to be zero positives in having that line back and a whole lot of negatives.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’d love to see Tkachuk play wing with Lindholm to give us 2 really good scoring lines. But complaining about Frolik getting minutes doesn’t really make a lot of sense. Up until last season, he was our 2nd best winger by a mile. He was injured last year and is in incredible shape, there’s no reason to think he won’t bounce back this year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I’d love to see Tkachuk play wing with Lindholm to give us 2 really good scoring lines. But complaining about Frolik getting minutes doesn’t really make a lot of sense. Up until last season, he was our 2nd best winger by a mile. He was injured last year and is in incredible shape, there’s no reason to think he won’t bounce back this year.

The fact that he is now on the wrong side of 30 is what concerns me. I think his injury might be an easy way to pass off him starting to decline a bit with his age.

And he was always a fringe top 6 guy anyways in terms of offense. I don't want him to get zero minutes just 3rd line, defensive heavy minutes that he is best suited for, not in a key offensive role with Tkachuk.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
36 pts in 31 AHL games. I know it isn’t perfect, but that’s an nhle of 45 pts over a full season. Pretty impressice considering its only his first pro season. He along with Bennett should be fighting heavily for the #2 rw spot next year.

Either way, he shouldn’t be getting 4th line minutes if he makes the team. He’s a potential gem.

Edit: 37 pts now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Snrub

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
The comparison to Point is pretty outlandish but it's looking like he'll be a quality top 6 forward.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
36 pts in 31 AHL games. I know it isn’t perfect, but that’s an nhle of 45 pts over a full season. Pretty impressice considering its only his first pro season. He along with Bennett should be fighting heavily for the #2 rw spot next year.

Either way, he shouldn’t be getting 4th line minutes if he makes the team. He’s a potential gem.

Edit: 37 pts now.
I would’ve preferred a Dube recall, for the playoffs, over Quine, any day. AHL player verses a kid that could learn a pile from the post season.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I would’ve preferred a Dube recall, for the playoffs, over Quine, any day. AHL player verses a kid that could learn a pile from the post season.

I definitely see what you mean, but Quine isn't being wasted on the fourth line, whereas Dube probably would be. Letting him get top minutes in Stockton is probably best for him. He should have a consistent spot on the third line or even the Backlund line next season.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I definitely see what you mean, but Quine isn't being wasted on the fourth line, whereas Dube probably would be. Letting him get top minutes in Stockton is probably best for him. He should have a consistent spot on the third line or even the Backlund line next season.
Ehhh, really could be argued either way. Would a playoff run be more beneficial to early development or is the patient, long term approach better. I mean if you, yourself already have him penciled in as a middle 6 guy, next year, is a run as top line player, at a lower level really better than an NHL playoffs?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Ehhh, really could be argued either way. Would a playoff run be more beneficial to early development or is the patient, long term approach better. I mean if you, yourself already have him penciled in as a middle 6 guy, next year, is a run as top line player, at a lower level really better than an NHL playoffs?

Look at Bennett. His first taste was in the playoffs in 2015, but a lot of folks here felt that he would have been served well by another year in the CHL plus some AHL time.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Look at Bennett. His first taste was in the playoffs in 2015, but a lot of folks here felt that he would have been served well by another year in the CHL plus some AHL time.
Well, really look at Monahan. I think the potential was there to be a much more complete player than he is, had he been developed slowly too, but at the end of the day it’s about winning. Personally, I think adding a guy like Dube could add a lot of juice to the lineup. I like Quine, and think he’s at least comparable to a guy like Czarnik but thinking he would add anything to the 4th line, seems far fetched, at best. And really, we’re not talking about a draft + 1 player.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Stockton likely isn't going to make the playoffs, so if Dube gets called up for the NHL playoffs his AHL season is already over.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Stockton likely isn't going to make the playoffs, so if Dube gets called up for the NHL playoffs his AHL season is already over.
This. Plus even if he doesn't play he'd get payed his NHL salary right? That's a good reward for tearing up the AHL.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
This. Plus even if he doesn't play he'd get payed his NHL salary right? That's a good reward for tearing up the AHL.

He’ll be a black ace for sure, they likely carry 6 extra forwards and 3-4 extra D during the playoffs. Dube will be one of them without a doubt

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Really sucks the goaltending and defense dragged down Stockton. They have some great offensive talent, but outside of vali and maybe mattson, their d is a joke. Gillies prolapsing all year didn’t help either.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Really sucks the goaltending and defense dragged down Stockton. They have some great offensive talent, but outside of vali and maybe mattson, their d is a joke. Gillies prolapsing all year didn’t help either.

For what it's worth, Gilles has been relatively strong of late. But yes. Not entirely surprising when the Flames took their best two defensemen I suppose.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Said this in his prospect thread but I still want to see him play more center next time he's up with the big club. Just seems like he has a great understanding of the position and his speed and IQ makes him an effective player in all three zones. I understand the methodology of cutting your teeth at the wing position when first breaking in but I think you're limiting him putting him on the wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dack

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Said this in his prospect thread but I still want to see him play more center next time he's up with the big club. Just seems like he has a great understanding of the position and his speed and IQ makes him an effective player in all three zones. I understand the methodology of cutting your teeth at the wing position when first breaking in but I think you're limiting him putting him on the wing.

I concur, although his lack of man strength on d zone battles hurt him this year at C

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I said this in the pre-season, I think he has got a chance to become our best all around player going forward besides Johnny. The amount of times I saw his name tossed into trades for UFAs made me cringe so hard

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I know he's been hot of late so this might be a little premature, but it could honestly be expected for Dubé to be an impact forward as soon as next year.

He's been the best or second best (Batherson) prospect aged player in the AHL this year

Pressure coming from below will only help to move the team forward, but the left shooting W/C's on the team (Bennett, Jankowski, Frolik, Mangiapane) better keep their games going, otherwise they may find themselves in the press box a lot next year.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I know he's been hot of late so this might be a little premature, but it could honestly be expected for Dubé to be an impact forward as soon as next year.

He's been the best or second best (Batherson) prospect aged player in the AHL this year

Pressure coming from below will only help to move the team forward, but the left shooting W/C's on the team (Bennett, Jankowski, Frolik, Mangiapane) better keep their games going, otherwise they may find themselves in the press box a lot next year.

Frolik is as good as gone next year. That 2nd line spot is up for grabs, and unless treliving splashes in free agency (please no), Dube would be my favourite for that spot right now.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I hope we keep Frolik personally. Less money for Tkachuk and keeping Frolik is ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad