Prospect Info: C Dillon Dube, 56th overall

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
I love this pick, not only a player that can compete for a roster spot down the road but a Cochranite as well!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Think a slightly lesser Konency in terms of a propsect, or at best we're talking a Brendan Gallagher type of player if he makes it.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Really like it. He's friend with my cousin so I did a fair bit of research on him. Bob had him at 36 so I'm thrilled we still managed to get him at the end of the second. He's absolutely got second line potential. Good offense, good motor. I too suspect he'll be a winger though.

A lesser Gallagher or a Shaw with a chance for a bit more offense are great comparisons.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Hyped for this season. Haven't had a Flame on the Rockets since Backlund.

(Baillie doesn't count)

He should be lined up with Merkley this season so he should have a good year.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Would rather have had Abramov, but I guess Dube was a good pick at that point too. I would think he's more than a couple years away though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think he's a lock at all to play, but I'm fan of his. I think he's a guy that's always going to be a fan favourite. I'm pulling for him.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I definitely think he's pretty close to a lock to play, not to say he'll reach his potential, but he's got tools that will make him an effective bottom 6 guy at the least. Size is the only thing that may prevent him from being a lock to at least play in my mind.

Edit: I actually think I phrased that quite wrong looking at it now.

I think he is a very safe bet, not a lock, to play relative to other prospects because of the tools he has, he's not a top 6 or bust prospect, thus I think he is a pretty safe pick, with a potential pretty high payoff.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Poirier and Klimchuk were both a cut above when they were drafted, they are not locks to be regulars. I like Dube, I'm a fan, but I'd say only a handful of guys a draft are locks to play. I hope he gets there, he's a great player.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Really don't like his name. Not a strong hockey name. Not sure he has much a of a chance unless he can come up with some kind of career-saving nickname in a hurry.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think Poirier and Klimchuk were both a cut above when they were drafted, they are not locks to be regulars. I like Dube, I'm a fan, but I'd say only a handful of guys a draft are locks to play. I hope he gets there, he's a great player.
Yeah I'd agree for the most part, my wording was extremely poor :laugh:. I think I put it much better in my edit.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Really don't like his name. Not a strong hockey name. Not sure he has much a of a chance unless he can come up with some kind of career-saving nickname in a hurry.

Dube is a fantastic hockey name imo, all the Flames picks this year were great A+ hockey names except Parsons.

I like Dube and I think he's a little undervalued for where he was taken. I would have preferred Bitten or Raddysh or Abramov, but he's a good pick.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Dube is a fantastic hockey name imo, all the Flames picks this year were great A+ hockey names except Parsons.

I like Dube and I think he's a little undervalued for where he was taken. I would have preferred Bitten or Raddysh or Abramov, but he's a good pick.

I would've loved Raddysh at this spot, but I trust our scouts, and know that I will likely be proven wrong.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I would've loved Raddysh at this spot, but I trust our scouts, and know that I will likely be proven wrong.

Yup, exactly my thoughts. It's pretty obvious the Flames' scouts don't think Raddysh will be a good NHL player, because he ticks all of their boxes. I really liked him because he could be that rare playmaking winger that I thinks the Flames will need in their future due to Bennett and Monahan being shoot-first guys.

I still remember trading for Alex Tanguay on NHL 04 because, as a playmaking winger, I thought he'd be a great fit with shoot-first Iggy. I was super happy when the Flames picked him up, even though it didn't result in the multiple cups a younger me thought it would. Wouldn't mind giving him another go this year now that he's a UFA, but from what I remember I don't think he left Calgary on good terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad