Prospect Info: C Dillon Dube, 56th overall

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I meant it in a positive manner, as he appeared to have a bottom 6 sort of look to him from what I've picked up from your Board's assessments of him, but the perception is the coaching style & deployment was a factor. Now he seems to be exceeding that potential and I think it's great for him & the Flames. Hockey always benefits when Canadian franchises are successful.

Cheers

We always hoped he would be a second line guy, but not this season. Maybe trending that way sooner than we thought. 40-50 point two way guy was the hope long term for a lot of us.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I do think him starting in the ahl was the right call. He's looking good now, it let him work on some things and get into the groove. He's looking better away from the puck than he did last year

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Has 6 points in his last 4 games (back to back 2 point games for him) and 7 in 10 games this year.

Just watching this stud play out there you can see how confident he has, how much skill he has and how fast he is.

Dube is everything I wanted Sam Bennett to be.

I want to see what Sam does when Ward throws away the leash. Draft year Sam Bennett showed skill flashes that made me think he'd quickly surpass Gaudreau. Then he sealed his skill set as he tried to simplify his game. His style is all over the place and I swear he does significantly less skill related moves as a trade off to a defensive styled game. Kinda reminds me of Baertschi.

I do agree that Dube is playing how I was hoping Bennett to play.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I want to see what Sam does when Ward throws away the leash. Draft year Sam Bennett showed skill flashes that made me think he'd quickly surpass Gaudreau. Then he sealed his skill set as he tried to simplify his game. His style is all over the place and I swear he does significantly less skill related moves as a trade off to a defensive styled game. Kinda reminds me of Baertschi.

I do agree that Dube is playing how I was hoping Bennett to play.
Me too. With all this talk of how Dube and Mangiapane have passed Bennett, it's a bit like one racecar passing another racecar while it's in a pit stop. Entirely possible that Bennett has a revitalization under new coaching, too.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bennett still has that ability and most of that potential within him. He's as old as Mangiapane and pretty much every Flames fan still thinks the latter has a ton of room/time to grow.

I think it's just a matter of whether the environment has gotten stale for Bennett, much like it did with Lindholm in Carolina.

I'm intrigued to see what Ward can do, especially if he sits down 1-on-1 with him and picks his brain as to what kind of role he wants to have here. Could we see the return of Bennett the center??? It's worth trying

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Bennett still has that ability and most of that potential within him. He's as old as Mangiapane and pretty much every Flames fan still thinks the latter has a ton of room/time to grow.

I think it's just a matter of whether the environment has gotten stale for Bennett, much like it did with Lindholm in Carolina.

I'm intrigued to see what Ward can do, especially if he sits down 1-on-1 with him and picks his brain as to what kind of role he wants to have here. Could we see the return of Bennett the center??? It's worth trying

I think Bennett as swing centre is a good thing, like what is being done with Backlund right now. I think Backlund too became too mechanical as being part of the pillar of the roster and is gripping his stick way too tight. Bennett may have adopted that mentality too. Bennett/Dube swing centre/wing/offwing seems like an interesting way to ease the guy in. They can learn off each other. Bennett is more defensively responsible but too stiff. Dube is less defensively responsible but relaxed. Somewhere in between for both guys would be amazing. Dube also has a slick skill game. I want to see a Bennett - Ryan - Dube line to kick start Bennett.

Bennett has also gone through crazy swings.
- Hartley as a coach: Loose system
- Harley as coach: Loose system, but rigid role (centre); bulking up too much.
- Gully as a coach: New system, super rigid system and inconsistent role.
- Peters as a coach: New system, medium rigid system, inconsistent role and rigid views towards mistakes?
- Ward now as the coach feels like a Peters/Hartley/Gully mix. It's super weird. I wanna see how Bennett eases into the line up.

I think the kid asks way too much of himself and over thinks the game. I think if he focused more on being like a more consistent Ferland or even Mangiapane and built from there, he'd succeed rather than trying to do what he is doing now and make a huge leap to achieve a breaking out so to speak. He fighting himself with expectations of being a 4th overall. He needs to relax and be kinder to himself as if he were a 14th or 24th OA. I still believe in Bennett long term, but if he's stuck in a rut, then I think a lateral move change of scenery is required. I hope it doesn't come down to that :( I really like Bennett in his draft year, though I liked Drai and Ekblad better that season. I didn't like Nylander and though Ehlers was OK and MDC was neat. So what do I truly know?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Bennett as swing centre is a good thing, like what is being done with Backlund right now. I think Backlund too became too mechanical as being part of the pillar of the roster and is gripping his stick way too tight. Bennett may have adopted that mentality too. Bennett/Dube swing centre/wing/offwing seems like an interesting way to ease the guy in. They can learn off each other. Bennett is more defensively responsible but too stiff. Dube is less defensively responsible but relaxed. Somewhere in between for both guys would be amazing. Dube also has a slick skill game. I want to see a Bennett - Ryan - Dube line to kick start Bennett.

Bennett has also gone through crazy swings.
- Hartley as a coach: Loose system
- Harley as coach: Loose system, but rigid role (centre); bulking up too much.
- Gully as a coach: New system, super rigid system and inconsistent role.
- Peters as a coach: New system, medium rigid system, inconsistent role and rigid views towards mistakes?
- Ward now as the coach feels like a Peters/Hartley/Gully mix. It's super weird. I wanna see how Bennett eases into the line up.

I think the kid asks way too much of himself and over thinks the game. I think if he focused more on being like a more consistent Ferland or even Mangiapane and built from there, he'd succeed rather than trying to do what he is doing now and make a huge leap to achieve a breaking out so to speak. He fighting himself with expectations of being a 4th overall. He needs to relax and be kinder to himself as if he were a 14th or 24th OA. I still believe in Bennett long term, but if he's stuck in a rut, then I think a lateral move change of scenery is required. I hope it doesn't come down to that :( I really like Bennett in his draft year, though I liked Drai and Ekblad better that season. I didn't like Nylander and though Ehlers was OK and MDC was neat. So what do I truly know?
Agreed on all points. I think an understated thing that is also really hurting his confidence is how poor his release is. Him and Gaudreau could stand to spend some time with Mangiapane in practice and study how a guy that small (I don't believe that he's 5'10" even though that's what listed) is able to put so much power in his shot without sacrificing any accuracy

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
This went in a different direction quickly. Because of his game dropping or he's just in an unfortunate spot in the forward rotation situation?

Doesn't he have the skill and potential to for example replace Mangiapane and improve that line?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
This went in a different direction quickly. Because of his game dropping or he's just in an unfortunate spot in the forward rotation situation?

Doesn't he have the skill and potential to for example replace Mangiapane and improve that line?
Mangiapane is playing very well with the line he is on and plays a different game that suits it better than Dube does. Mangiapane is a hard forechecker and uses his hustle very effectively to cause turnovers and get the puck to the scorers on the line, while also being a good shot and finds ways to get into the slot. Dube plays a more skilled game and I don't think he's shown the forechecking/hustle that Mangiapane has that would lend him to playing with guys who are succeeding with that kind of player. I think he fits fine with Lucic and Ryan and could also fit with Bennett and Ryan if we ever want to try that out, but I also don't think Dube is good enough at the moment to displace Mangiapane from the spot he has earned.

Reactions: Deas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad