Prospect Info: C Dillon Dube, 56th overall

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So, here’s why I like the thought of having Dillon, and Czarnik both making the opening night roster.

Calgary hasn’t had an offensive breakout find in what seems like forever. Essentially these guys in the system, that play their way onto an opening night roster and light up the NHL from preseason.

Honestly, I think Calgary will have a hard time finding enough ice time over the next two years.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
So, here’s why I like the thought of having Dillon, and Czarnik both making the opening night roster.

Calgary hasn’t had an offensive breakout find in what seems like forever. Essentially these guys in the system, that play their way onto an opening night roster and light up the NHL from preseason.

Honestly, I think Calgary will have a hard time finding enough ice time over the next two years.

I was thinking earlier today about how we might need to make a quantity for quality trade in a minute to ensure some of these guys get ice time, but I legitimately think I just am not used to seeing a forward group this deep.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Damn Neal is going to be gone before he even got here lol.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was thinking earlier today about how we might need to make a quantity for quality trade in a minute to ensure some of these guys get ice time, but I legitimately think I just am not used to seeing a forward group this deep.

We're used to a team that has to find minutes for guys.
Like, the depth is that bad where a guy who's an AHL talent is going to play 10-14 minutes a night.

Like, Sam Bennett might have issues getting 14 minutes a night this year if things go well.

Reactions: Nanuuk

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It’s crazy to think that Dube could potentially force Bennett out of the Flames’ lineup. Kind of what Gaudreau did to Baertschi.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Baerschi is coming into his own now and we got what for him? Peanuts. I'd hate to make the same mistake with Benny, but if Doobs (or Mangi) do beat him out I sure as heck hope we get more return.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Except that's not happening. The only guys he'll push out of the lineup is Lazar and Hathaway

Bennett is most likely playing bottom 6 minutes again. You have to think that if he doesn’t show any top 6 potential, he might want to get traded in hopes of a better contract.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Baerschi is coming into his own now and we got what for him? Peanuts. I'd hate to make the same mistake with Benny, but if Doobs (or Mangi) do beat him out I sure as heck hope we get more return.
Didn't we get the pick that turned into Andersson? Not really peanuts for a player that haf done squat and asked for a trade

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Bennett is most likely playing bottom 6 minutes again. You have to think that if he doesn’t show any top 6 potential, he might want to get traded in hopes of a better contract.
That is completely separate from Dube, he (Bennett) is penciled in the 4th line behind Frolik already

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That is completely separate from Dube, he (Bennett) is penciled in the 4th line behind Frolik already

Mangiapane and other wingers are fighting for a spot too though.

I refer to Dube potentially stealing Bennett’s spot because he too can play C/LW.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Didn't we get the pick that turned into Andersson? Not really peanuts for a player that haf done squat and asked for a trade

I think it was the Rasmus pick. Essentially it also gave us the ability to trade for Hamilton as well because of the amount of second rounders we had:

In the big scheme:

Sven Bartschi
Curtis Glencross
2015 NHL 1st round pick
2015 3rd round pick
Michael Ferland
Adam Fox

For
Noah Hanifin
Elias Lindholm
Rasmus Andersson
Oliver Kylington

Now... It'd be very different if Calgary used the 15th overall to draft Matt Barzal, but who knows what this team would have done. Honestly, the next three picks outside of who Boston drafted, are really, really impressive.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Mangiapane and other wingers are fighting for a spot too though.

I refer to Dube potentially stealing Bennett’s spot because he too can play C/LW.
They are fighting for 1 spot. Don't kid yourself, Bennett is 100% safe because regulars from the season before simply don't lose their jobs in camp.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
They are fighting for 1 spot. Don't kid yourself, Bennett is 100% safe because regulars from the season before simply don't lose their jobs in camp.
I’m referring to the next season, not this one. I’m saying Dube is potentially moving Bennett down the roster in the near future.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think Dillon's getting a shot to prove himself tonight with Lindholm centering him. He might not push Bennett off of our roster, but IMO he, Janko, Bennett, and Czarnik will be fighting for 1 top 9 position (i've put the lines in my preferred configuration, but you can assemble them many ways and get a similar result):

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube
Frolik-Backlund-Ryan
Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik
Extra: Hathaway, Lazar, Quine, Foo

Bennett might be better than those on the extra list right now, but it will be interesting to see if he can beat out Czarnik or Dube for that spot in the top 9. So far he has not really shown it.

I would like Dube to stay up but my gut tells me that the contract mentality will win out and he'll play in the AHL so that we don't have to waive Hathaway/ Lazar. I truly hope that doesn't occur, as I am more of the opinion that both should and could be sacrificed if it means giving a player the confidence boost needed for the next level. If he does start hot, he could even transition to centre over the year. Then you could see Lindholm occupy that 1st RW spot and get a line of Tkachuk-Dube-Neal (I think this would be fun)- now I'm really dreaming though.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
No its not. Much better chance of Bennett breaking out than regressing out of the NHL

I think that there is a chance that Bennett could get pushed off this roster if he doesn't improve, but Dube and Mangiapane/Foo do. I think we will trade him and try and recoup something rather than waiving him if that's the case, but I don't think it's crazy to guess that he'll regress again this year. Considering he'll likely get less ice time and potentially less PP time he will have to improve pretty considerably to even stay at his current production level. If he gets frustrated and starts racking up the penalties again I think it will get ugly pretty quickly. It's a big year for Sam, and I think many of us fans are nervous about betting on a horse who's lost us some races over the last few years :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->