Buyers and Sellers this year

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Wolves could easily compete for round 3 with the addition of one vet D and one point producing F.
Wolves could easily get knocked off in round 1 by the Petes or Gens if they stand pat.

Do you really think a first line forward and top 4 d added to current Sudbury line up (All draft picks and no current skaters is unlikely to acquire that wish list) gets the Wolves by Ottawa and Niagara as they stand currently? I do not, unless UPL wins the entire round. And who knows what the Petes just did? they could go either way and I would not be surprised.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Do you really think a first line forward and top 4 d added to current Sudbury line up (All draft picks and no current skaters is unlikely to acquire that wish list) gets the Wolves by Ottawa and Niagara as they stand currently? I do not, unless UPL wins the entire round. And who knows what the Petes just did? they could go either way and I would not be surprised.

Compete in round 3 means likely facing Niagara or Ottawa; winning, was not implied. Though, I do think the wolves can add more and improve more by adding than Niagara.
The Petes are a pretty good team that just improved by acquiring what the coach coveted, will improve with return of Gallant and a couple of short term injuries, and likely to improve by adding another player because they simply can’t make good use of all their younger players & ‘19 draft picks.

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I would say they could beat Niagara

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Wolves could easily compete for round 3 with the addition of one vet D and one point producing F.
Wolves could easily get knocked off in round 1 by the Petes or Gens if they stand pat.

And that shows exactly how close #2 through #5 is right now.

That said, I believe UPL is a difference maker, especially in a 7 game series. I also think if the Generals keep status quo, they won’t get higher than 4th. Right now the 4th 5th matchup will probably be pretty tough. The #1 through #3 seeds should advance without much of an issue.

Reactions: dirty12

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I would say they could beat Niagara
Right on. I still think the Wolves are underestimated. They are very balanced and physical and that can wear teams down in a seven game series. Contrary to what some may believe UPL, while outstanding does not steal every win by himself. They’re making believers out of me more and more. Also, the rabid home crowd in Sudbury during a playoff series can’t be underestimated.

Reactions: LDN and hockeynorth

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Right on. I still think the Wolves are underestimated. They are very balanced and physical and that can wear teams down in a seven game series. Contrary to what some may believe UPL, while outstanding does not steal every win by himself. They’re making believers out of me more and more. Also, the rabid home crowd in Sudbury during a playoff series can’t be underestimated.
UPL is very good though and can steal games maybe even a whole series

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
And that shows exactly how close #2 through #5 is right now.

That said, I believe UPL is a difference maker, especially in a 7 game series. I also think if the Generals keep status quo, they won’t get higher than 4th. Right now the 4th 5th matchup will probably be pretty tough. The #1 through #3 seeds should advance without much of an issue.

Obviously teams will add so this conversation will change in a few weeks, but as the teams currently sit, I think the Gens are easily the best out of the 3-6 teams (OSH, MISS, SBY, PBO). Who do you have finishing 3rd if you think the Gens finish 4th with this team they currently have?

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Obviously teams will add so this conversation will change in a few weeks, but as the teams currently sit, I think the Gens are easily the best out of the 3-6 teams (OSH, MISS, SBY, PBO). Who do you have finishing 3rd if you think the Gens finish 4th with this team they currently have?
Sudbury surely

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I think we seriously need to consider Sudbury more favourably than we all have so far. They've played a great team game, have been solid in net and are very disciplined in their system.

Oshawa has under-performed to date and there is nothing so far to suggest they haven't been somewhat over-hyped to date.

Going into the season, Niagara, Oshawa and Ottawa got all the pre-season press for the conference. Sudbury has more than poked their nose into that mix. My personal opinion is if both Sudbury and Oshawa stand pat, Oshawa is the 4th seed. There is something missing there.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think we seriously need to consider Sudbury more favourably than we all have so far. They've played a great team game, have been solid in net and are very disciplined in their system.

Oshawa has under-performed to date and there is nothing so far to suggest they haven't been somewhat over-hyped to date.

Going into the season, Niagara, Oshawa and Ottawa got all the pre-season press for the conference. Sudbury has more than poked their nose into that mix. My personal opinion is if both Sudbury and Oshawa stand pat, Oshawa is the 4th seed. There is something missing there.

Oshawa has under-performed to date? Based on what? They're 2 points out of 4th in the whole league.

By that logic then you think Niagara has also underperformed since the Gens are only 1 point behind them? I think Oshawa/Niagara/Sudbury are exactly what many expected them to be, Ottawa has just been way better than people expected.

I see Sudbury as a team who is very solid top to bottom but doesn't have any dominant players (Byfield clearly will be, but isn't there yet as a rookie) while the Gens have Studnicka and Noel who can take over at any time. Sudbury has a huge strength in UPL, but the Gens have Keyser who's even better

I'm the biggest Petes hater probably ever and even before the Merkley trade I would've had PBO as beating SBY in a 4/5 series if that series happened today. To me Sudbury is the 5th best team (right now) behind 1 OTT, 2 NIA 3/4 OSH/PBO

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Oshawa has under-performed to date? Based on what? They're 2 points out of 4th in the whole league.

By that logic then you think Niagara has also underperformed since the Gens are only 1 point behind them? I think Oshawa/Niagara/Sudbury are exactly what many expected them to be, Ottawa has just been way better than people expected.

I see Sudbury as a team who is very solid top to bottom but doesn't have any dominant players (Byfield clearly will be, but isn't there yet as a rookie) while the Gens have Studnicka and Noel who can take over at any time. Sudbury has a huge strength in UPL, but the Gens have Keyser who's even better

I'm the biggest Petes hater probably ever and even before the Merkley trade I would've had PBO as beating SBY in a 4/5 series if that series happened today. To me Sudbury is the 5th best team (right now) behind 1 OTT, 2 NIA 3/4 OSH/PBO[/
Go ahead keep sleeping on Sudbury just like you are . And frankly Keyser is not better then UPL

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016

I'm the biggest Petes hater probably ever and even before the Merkley trade I would've had PBO as beating SBY in a 4/5 series if that series happened today. To me Sudbury is the 5th best team (right now) behind 1 OTT, 2 NIA 3/4 OSH/PBO

Go ahead keep sleeping on Sudbury well enjoy our role as underdogs and enjoy our role of beating you guys . Frankly Keyser is not better then UPL

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Go ahead keep sleeping on Sudbury well enjoy our role as underdogs and enjoy our role of beating you guys . Frankly Keyser is not better then UPL

I don't think who the underdogs role goes to is based on an hfboard discussion...

What do you use to evaluate goalies? Save %? Keyser is .931, UPL is .923 Or goals against average? Keyser is 2.37, UPL is 2.49.

I'm not saying UPL isn't very good, I think he's the 3rd best goalie in the entire OHL, but in an OSH/SBY matchup, Sudbury doesn't have an advantage there. You could argue they're equal, which is probably fair (even though if the season ends today, Keyser wins OHL top goalie award), but to me Sudbury's biggest advantage against most teams is they will out-goaltend you, but they don't have that advantage vs the Gens (or Ottawa now)

Do you not agree with my assessment that Sudbury doesn't have any superstar players, but they're very solid up and down the lineup and then have a rock in net?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Based on pre-season prediction, yes, I do believe both Niagara and Oshawa are either under achieving or were over-hyped. That is my opinion. It has nothing to do with what Ottawa is doing. I also feel Sudbury is ahead of expectations.

Neither team is really sniffing the CHL Top 10 rankings. Neither has gone on a run at all. There is nothing that would suggest either are living up to their pre-season hype. They are good teams but maybe just good teams in a depressed league? If we use win% as a leading indicator, the Generals project to finish with 89 points and Niagara with 94. The 94 is pretty solid but most predicted them to lead the league and usually league leaders run over 100 points.

Again, I'm not saying they are bad, just not living up to their pre-season hype.

I firmly believe something is missing in Oshawa. I think it is something more intangible. Leadership? Dunno. Something. It is almost like they are uninspired in enough games that it is noticeable. They should be better on a more consistent basis but they aren't. Can that be resolved by adding a player or two? Dunno.

Keyser v UPL is another discussion. I agree about Keyser but looking only at the year to date, it is a very close call. Of course you have to throw DiPietro into that discussion for the overall nod.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think who the underdogs role goes to is based on an hfboard discussion...

What do you use to evaluate goalies? Save %? Keyser is .931, UPL is .923 Or goals against average? Keyser is 2.37, UPL is 2.49.

I'm not saying UPL isn't very good, I think he's the 3rd best goalie in the entire OHL, but in an OSH/SBY matchup, Sudbury doesn't have an advantage there. You could argue they're equal, which is probably fair (even though if the season ends today, Keyser wins OHL top goalie award), but to me Sudbury's biggest advantage against most teams is they will out-goaltend you, but they don't have that advantage vs the Gens (or Ottawa now)

Do you not agree with my assessment that Sudbury doesn't have any superstar players, but they're very solid up and down the lineup and then have a rock in net?

I think your assessment of Sudbury right now is bang on but I think where I disagree is the value of their solid lineup up and down. Sometimes great overall teams win a lot. Ottawa doesn't have one single skater that you look at and say, "Star." That is the reason why so many had Ottawa no higher than 3rd in the conference and many had them even further down. There was no one you could really point to and say, "That guy can put a team on his back..."

I am shocked at Sudbury to be quite frank. But, now that they are still right there, I feel I need to give that team the props they deserve. They work hard and play a solid game. Clearly well coached. Clearly UPL is making a big difference.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016

I’ll agree with you today . I just didn’t enjoy the way you were talking about Sudbury almost making us sound inferior to you guys which we aren’t or someone like Peterborough which we definitely aren’t

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Based on pre-season prediction, yes, I do believe both Niagara and Oshawa are either under achieving or were over-hyped. That is my opinion. It has nothing to do with what Ottawa is doing. I also feel Sudbury is ahead of expectations.

Neither team is really sniffing the CHL Top 10 rankings. Neither has gone on a run at all. There is nothing that would suggest either are living up to their pre-season hype. They are good teams but maybe just good teams in a depressed league? If we use win% as a leading indicator, the Generals project to finish with 89 points and Niagara with 94. The 94 is pretty solid but most predicted them to lead the league and usually league leaders run over 100 points.

Again, I'm not saying they are bad, just not living up to their pre-season hype.

I firmly believe something is missing in Oshawa. I think it is something more intangible. Leadership? Dunno. Something. It is almost like they are uninspired in enough games that it is noticeable. They should be better on a more consistent basis but they aren't. Can that be resolved by adding a player or two? Dunno.

Keyser v UPL is another discussion. I agree about Keyser but looking only at the year to date, it is a very close call. Of course you have to throw DiPietro into that discussion for the overall nod.

Tough to use points percentage as an indicator though because Oshawa hasn't made any of their huge moves yet, if they even decide this is the year to go for it. Every year the good teams usually have a way better record post-deadline because they load up and the selling teams become a much easier 2 points on the schedule

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I’ll agree with you today . I just didn’t enjoy the way you were talking about Sudbury almost making us sound inferior to you guys which we aren’t or someone like Peterborough which we definitely aren’t

I'm just stating my opinion and backing it up with my reasoning, which is the entire purpose of this website, and more specific of this thread.

Sudbury came into the season as "a year away" and the only thing that's changed is they have a very good goalie for 1 year. Now of course Sudbury can still make some noise, but I don't expect to see them going in big into the rental market because Byfield could be a top 3 player in the OHL next year and I'd think that's what they try to build around for their big run. But we will see

People are going to have opinions on here, don't take everything so personal as a shot against your team. Sometimes people will just think another team is better on paper.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Niagara is not really underachieving pre-season hype. It’s more like Ottawa had a great unbeaten streak. Niagara has 2 games in hand that could trim the ‘67s to 5 pts. The two teams have near identical GF:GA ratios. The wolves have 3 games in hand on the ‘67s that could get them to within 4pts.
I’m not writing off the Gens or the Petes as possible top 3 seeds either. The trade deadline looms large.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Being a Western Conference fan I have seen 3 or 4 Oshawa games, but I was not impressed with their play.

As the oldest team in the league at 18.74 years, the pundits were obviously expecting a lot, but I find them slow and passive. They are quick to go on the defensive and don't generate many chances in transition. A couple of star players and good goaltending is keeping them in the home playoff picture, but I don't like the way they play.

Sudbury is an exciting club that has the advantage in forward depth and in the crease, as I think UPL is the finest goalie in the league. Sudbury gives up far more prime scoring chances than Oshawa does (they also generate more) and he's often the difference in their games. I think the right additions would be really impactful for the Wolves. They are exciting to watch, finally.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Keyser is having the best season of any OHL goalie, that isn't up for debate. UPL is the better talent and pro prospect though IMO. There's a really good reason why Buffalo took him in the second round.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Tough to use points percentage as an indicator though because Oshawa hasn't made any of their huge moves yet, if they even decide this is the year to go for it. Every year the good teams usually have a way better record post-deadline because they load up and the selling teams become a much easier 2 points on the schedule

I agree but when I suggested I didn't see Oshawa as anything other than the #4 seed, I also said that would be the case if they stayed status quo. If Oshawa stays status quo, they probably will finish somewhere around that 85 point mark and that will probably put them in 4th place this year.

If Ottawa stays status quo, for example, I think a team like Niagara with one more move could end up nipping at their heels and have a good chance of winning the East in the playoffs, specifically because of what you suggest regarding teams loading up.

It is a weird year this year. Even though London and Ottawa are out to a good lead in their respective conferences, it doesn't feel like either are untouchable right now. That should give incentive to Niagara, Sudbury and Oshawa in the East but it almost seems like they are waiting for Ottawa to drop the hammer with their draft picks combined with the two open OA spots.

As a Generals fan, you getting to see them more often, don't you think they are missing something? Don't you feel somewhat unsatisfied with their consistency of performance? Could there be that "new coach smell" the players are trying to work through?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I agree but when I suggested I didn't see Oshawa as anything other than the #4 seed, I also said that would be the case if they stayed status quo. If Oshawa stays status quo, they probably will finish somewhere around that 85 point mark and that will probably put them in 4th place this year.

If Ottawa stays status quo, for example, I think a team like Niagara with one more move could end up nipping at their heels and have a good chance of winning the East in the playoffs, specifically because of what you suggest regarding teams loading up.

It is a weird year this year. Even though London and Ottawa are out to a good lead in their respective conferences, it doesn't feel like either are untouchable right now. That should give incentive to Niagara, Sudbury and Oshawa in the East but it almost seems like they are waiting for Ottawa to drop the hammer with their draft picks combined with the two open OA spots.

As a Generals fan, you getting to see them more often, don't you think they are missing something? Don't you feel somewhat unsatisfied with their consistency of performance? Could there be that "new coach smell" the players are trying to work through?

London is actually tied for first place after the Greyhounds beat Hamilton yesterday. There are a couple of games in hand, but it plays into your narrative that both conferences are wide open.

I think that deadline additions may break the deadlock between those two teams, but perhaps a team like Saginaw or Guelph will step up with some additions.

Regarding Oshawa, you would almost think that they have to go for it. With their 2 best players leaving and the oldest team in the league, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to wait.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
At the moment the two hottest team are Sudbury and Niagara. Sudbury ten game points streak and the Icedogs eight game point streak. Do not about Sudbury but the Ice Dogs have only had a full line up for about four or five games and the injury bug struck again this week.

Reactions: hockeynorth

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
At the moment the two hottest team are Sudbury and Niagara. Sudbury ten game points streak and the Icedogs eight game point streak. Do not about Sudbury but the Ice Dogs have only had a full line up for about four or five games and the injury bug struck again this week.
If I was the gm of Ottawa I would try to get the Pilon twins away from Sudbury one stop shopping they are the team that can upset Ottawa the twins are not gonna get you huge point totals but play that playoff game mentality every shift just ask the Sudbury fans who see them every game and oh ya they also have a goalie who is pretty good so watch out for Sudbury if they buy a couple of pieces

Reactions: three dog night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad