Buyers and Sellers this year

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think they bring 2 different things, Saigeon the better player in both ends and Robertson is the pure sniper. Really depends on the team that is buying needs.

100%

Ottawa, for example, could use Saigeon more than Robertson for the reasons stated above AND Ottawa has the OA spot open AND he would be cheaper as an OA.

Plus, Saigeon has the ring from last year and was a huge part of making that a reality. I think he brings more to a team because of that but as you said, Robertson is a pure sniper and if you have an issue with goal scoring at the elite level, he resolves that big need.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
100%

Ottawa, for example, could use Saigeon more than Robertson for the reasons stated above AND Ottawa has the OA spot open AND he would be cheaper as an OA.

Plus, Saigeon has the ring from last year and was a huge part of making that a reality. I think he brings more to a team because of that but as you said, Robertson is a pure sniper and if you have an issue with goal scoring at the elite level, he resolves that big need.
I think the Ice Dogs may give Saigeon the home town discount and with the picks picked up for Ham it will nit surprise me if they use them to go for Saigeon

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the Ice Dogs may give Saigeon the home town discount and with the picks picked up for Ham it will nit surprise me if they use them to go for Saigeon

I don't really understand your post but I figured Niagara was the team most likely to snag Saigeon but they did blow a big load on Robertson so maybe the appetite isn't there for Saigeon now.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
...would Petizian(sp) be available????

As they say, anyone is available for a price. But I doubt the Rangers are looking to move promising youth in a rebuild year. Petizian should play three more years in this league after this year. These players you keep.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Beginning to start leaning towards the Bulldogs as buyers--because the team is playing better, and they'd like to a get deep playoff run for the departing core--plus they still have Arthur Kaliyev.. they'd more likely trade him next season for a decent return (if he does come back). Plus, the Bulldogs, after the Robertson and DiPietro teams, aren't as likely to get strong returns on Strome, Entwistle and Saigeon..

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Beginning to start leaning towards the Bulldogs as buyers--because the team is playing better, and they'd like to a get deep playoff run for the departing core--plus they still have Arthur Kaliyev.. they'd more likely trade him next season for a decent return (if he does come back). Plus, the Bulldogs, after the Robertson and DiPietro teams, aren't as likely to get strong returns on Strome, Entwistle and Saigeon..
Buy with what

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Only 1 second round pick in the next 8 drafts. Makes it tough to add anything

Reactions: Finster8

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Only 1 second round pick in the next 8 drafts. Makes it tough to add anything
They're going to get 2 of their 2nd rounders back as Robert Thomas is not going to return. But still, the chances of the Bulldogs selling has dropped dramatically in the last two weeks--it's not a good position for the team to be right in the mix and under pressure to win now.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
They're going to get 2 of their 2nd rounders back as Robert Thomas is not going to return. But still, the chances of the Bulldogs selling has dropped dramatically in the last two weeks--it's not a good position for the team to be right in the mix and under pressure to win now.
Those 2 second rounders aren't theirs until Thomas is no longer eligible for Junior (if I'm not mistaken) so that doesn't help you now. Also, those picks aren't tradeable because of the rule not allowing picks older than 6 years in the future to be traded

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I can’t see them as buyers. They are one game over .500 their last ten games. The top four in the conference are starting to separate themselves from the bottom six and live up to pre-season expectations.

On top of that, they don’t really have much to sell other than their first rounder this season.

I could see a status quo situation if the. Racket does end up being a buyers market but to enter the fray as a buyer? I can’t see it.

Reactions: Hammer9001

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
All of Oshawa, Niagara and Ottawa have made buyer moves. Now it is up to Sudbury to decide if they want to enter the race in the East.

The West is still a little confused with London the clear leader but SSM just won’t go away. Guelph has made some grumblings but who knows if they really want to enter into the foray. Same goes with Saginaw.

So, all quiet on the Western Front while the East seems to be gearing up for a battle!

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Waiting on Erie to sell. Can't keep Maksimovich much longer if we continue to keep the losing streak alive

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

If that's true, Hamilton should be looking for a new GM asap because he does not understand junior hockey at all

2-2 in their last 4, 5-4-1 in their last 10 but in those 5 wins, 3 are against Flint, Windsor and North Bay...

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
All of Oshawa, Niagara and Ottawa have made buyer moves. Now it is up to Sudbury to decide if they want to enter the race in the East.

The West is still a little confused with London the clear leader but SSM just won’t go away. Guelph has made some grumblings but who knows if they really want to enter into the foray. Same goes with Saginaw.

So, all quiet on the Western Front while the East seems to be gearing up for a battle!

I don't think what Oshawa did was considered a buyers move in Bollers & Salinitri just filling in areas with OHL experience, personally I thing Oshawa will make some trades but not to make a run for it as I think it's between Ottawa & Niagara there are ahead of the pack.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think what Oshawa did was considered a buyers move in Bollers & Salinitri just filling in areas with OHL experience, personally I thing Oshawa will make some trades but not to make a run for it as I think it's between Ottawa & Niagara there are ahead of the pack.

Any time you trade two 2nds for an OA, it has to be considered a buyer move. Whether they decide to go all in is a different question but it is clear the Generals are looking to compete, otherwise they’d have picked up a cheaper OA to fill a role as opposed to a point per game forward.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Its starting to look like the top 4 will be like that for the rest of the season. So im hoping we add, we can beat Oshawa, We can probably beat Niagara, and Hopefully UPL can beat Ottawa haha

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Its starting to look like the top 4 will be like that for the rest of the season. So im hoping we add, we can beat Oshawa, We can probably beat Niagara, and Hopefully UPL can beat Ottawa haha

But at the same time, could lose in round 1 to Peterborough in the 4/5 matchup lol. A whole lot is up in the air for Sudbury

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Any time you trade two 2nds for an OA, it has to be considered a buyer move. Whether they decide to go all in is a different question but it is clear the Generals are looking to compete, otherwise they’d have picked up a cheaper OA to fill a role as opposed to a point per game forward.

I understand you’re looking at that trade by itself, but in the bigger picture it was basically Commisso straight up for Salinitri

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

The Rangers went for it last year and displayed that by giving up high end picks to pick up OA Kole Sherwood.

This year, they are not in contention, and filled holes by picking up OA's Cameron and Campbell on the cheap. That's the difference.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Waiting on Erie to sell. Can't keep Maksimovich much longer if we continue to keep the losing streak alive

Agree. Unfortunately there a couple high end OA’s available that might drive his price down. Nonetheless he needs to be traded as I don’t see the losing stopping any time soon.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I understand you’re looking at that trade by itself, but in the bigger picture it was basically Commisso straight up for Salinitri

Good point. But, if Oshawa were to simply keep a status quo, wouldn't they have just kept those picks for future use?

It seems a waste to use two 2nds on an OA but not be at least dipping a toe in the water for the conference. You can usually get a serviceable 40 point forward as an OA for cheap.

Reactions: Opinionated

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree. Unfortunately there a couple high end OA’s available that might drive his price down. Nonetheless he needs to be traded as I don’t see the losing stopping any time soon.

I'm not too sure the price will be driven down. I understand what you are saying and in a pure supply-demand scenario, that is accurate. In this case I see the prices holding firm with less players moving. Under your scenario it would mean all the players would end up being moved at market price and I don't see spots for them all. Therefore, I see the best of them moving for what is normal market price but a few teams holding the bag on players less desired.

If I were a GM and I value Maksimovitch as the 4th best OA available and I can get him slightly cheaper than the best OA I believe is available, I still take my first choice. The value gap would have to be wide for me to dip down the list to save assets.

In saying that, I believe him to be in the top 5 OA skaters on the potential available list. As such, I feel he would be traded at a good value regardless.

Salinitri went for two 2nds and a 4th. I believe that is the floor for a good OA. So, regardless of market conditions at the deadline, I can't see Erie not getting at least that for him and I'd be surprised if that was all they got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->