Buyers and Sellers this year

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
As a 67's fan, we are clear buyers this year at the trade deadline. It would seem that Ottawa, Niagara, Oshawa are clear buyers in the East. while the clear sellers appear to be Kingston and North Bay. Hamilton should sell but they could probably make one last run with the remainder of their core from last year.

In the West, the situation is less clear but it looks like Saginaw and Guelph should be buyers with Sarnia, Erie, Flint and Windsor looking like definite sellers. The Soo is a wild card, but has a top ranked team in a conference ever sold? To me they are clearly the best team in the league on paper. Is London going to buy with their surplus of picks? Will Owen Sound take one last shot with Suzuki, Durzi and Hancock?

What do you think your team should do?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
As a 67's fan, we are clear buyers this year at the trade deadline. It would seem that Ottawa, Niagara, Oshawa are clear buyers in the East. while the clear sellers appear to be Kingston and North Bay. Hamilton should sell but they could probably make one last run with the remainder of their core from last year.

In the West, the situation is less clear but it looks like Saginaw and Guelph should be buyers with Sarnia, Erie, Flint and Windsor looking like definite sellers. The Soo is a wild card, but has a top ranked team in a conference ever sold? To me they are clearly the best team in the league on paper. Is London going to buy with their surplus of picks? Will Owen Sound take one last shot with Suzuki, Durzi and Hancock?

The Gens were basically in the exact same place as SSM in 2016-2017. 1st place at the deadline but sold Vande Sompel and Cirelli because they knew other teams would add and they had no picks left to keep up after emptying their cupboards in '15 to make that Mem Cup winning team. Traded Vande Sompel for Blacker and picks (two of them became Wong and Robinson) and Cirelli for McShane and picks (which in part became Vallati and Brassard). Which has now set the Gens up for a 2 year run this year and next

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Agreed BP9, the west isn't as clear as the east especially when it comes down to buying and selling.

Big players in the west

Soo
London

Then you have a whole lot of tight knit question marks.

Guelph
Saginaw
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Windsor

All should be in the mix for challenging for those 3-7 spots

The only teams who are on the outside looking in will be Erie, Sarnia and Flint.

Erie is paying for those years of success with McDavid still and are in year 1 of rebuilding their core of their club.

Sarnia went big last season and paid big for Konecny a few seasons ago, however they are still one that may surprise teams.

And Flint should be better than they show but with recent off-ice issues in the past few seasons they are facing an identity crisis still on the direction that they are going.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie should probably sell off Maksimovich. He's having a great start to the season and should fetch them a few high draft picks, similar to what Windsor got for Luchuk last season. Other than that they should stand pat as everyone else is eligible to return next season, when they should be looking to turn the corner on their rebuild a bit.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Wolves fan here. Hoping for almost no activity to be completely honest, were in a good position to go for it all next season with Murray returning, Byfield is gonna be one of the best players in the league, our entire d-core will be a year older and we'd only lose candella. Losing UPL will hurt but any competing team can find a goalie, stay pat see if anybody wants the pilons lol. Keep everyone else

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Agreed BP9, the west isn't as clear as the east especially when it comes down to buying and selling.

Big players in the west

Soo
London

Then you have a whole lot of tight knit question marks.

Guelph
Saginaw
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Windsor

All should be in the mix for challenging for those 3-7 spots

The only teams who are on the outside looking in will be Erie, Sarnia and Flint.

Erie is paying for those years of success with McDavid still and are in year 1 of rebuilding their core of their club.

Sarnia went big last season and paid big for Konecny a few seasons ago, however they are still one that may surprise teams.

And Flint should be better than they show but with recent off-ice issues in the past few seasons they are facing an identity crisis still on the direction that they are going.
I would be surprised to see Kitchener do anything significant this year after last years run. If anything I could see them make a trade or two to get younger,

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

Hamilton like you said, should sell.

Right now Nick Donofrio is out with a concussion and he wasn't having a great season when he was healthy, and while it has been great to see Zachary Roy step up to fill that hole, he's still a rookie tender. Regardless though, we lost 5 defensemen last year, and no tender is going to go through that without their stats being negatively effected. The cupboard is bare and you are going to lose Saigeon, Mattinen and two more players out of Strome, Nurse, Landry, Entwistle and Garagan next year. As awesome as it's been to see that top line, light things up, the Dogs don't have the defensive presence to make a deep run.

As far as what I think they will do, I expect Staios to keep the team together until the deadline and sell. He's using the time his top offense is giving him to get a playoff spot, and banking on his defenders having developed enough to coast into a playoff seed and be well positioned with a restocked cupboard and defenders with a bit more experience under their belt to make another run two or three years down.

Trying to win the league with inexperience at goalie is hard, trying to do it also with inexperience at defense, is neigh insurmountable.

I think it would be a huge mistake to try to make another run for it. You have too much player wealth that will be lost if you don't sell this year. You won the cup last year, you just need to stay ahead of the Fronts and one more team this year, which is completely doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: digiblader

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm excited to see who blinks first! Lots of potential buyers and sellers and who is going to lay the cards on the table first. The west seems to be up in the air so may be closer to the end before a team goes all in but I can't see Saginaw not buying - too many picks for a team that has no real room for rookies. East has front runners but only Ottawa has any real buying power. I think the east will be the first conference to start the bidding wars but never count the Hunters out of anything.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I hope Dellandrea gets traded to a good franchise. Get him out of Flint

I'd like Dellandrea in Ottawa. I think he'd look good with Chmelevski. He's also an 18 year old and would return next year.

Problem is he is 18 and I doubt Flint trades 18 year olds unless they walk out.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
IMO, I can't see Saginaw buying this year. We just have too many missing pieces to make a run at it.

I think they will trade off a few at deadline and just go as deep as they can and give the young players some experience.

Saginaw is lacking a high end forward, elite defenceman and a goalie who will can consistent. I don't think they can trade enough to get these pieces this year.

Players possibility on the move at deadline:

Coskey
Michnac
Gilmour
Webb

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
IMO, I can't see Saginaw buying this year. We just have too many missing pieces to make a run at it.

I think they will trade off a few at deadline and just go as deep as they can and give the young players some experience.

Saginaw is lacking a high end forward, elite defenceman and a goalie who will can consistent. I don't think they can trade enough to get these pieces this year.

Coskey
Michnac
Gilmour
Webb

The import goalie, Wilde, & Purfetti have barely had time to acclimatize to the league. Give the spirit at least until the Christmas break before writing them off

Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
The import goalie, Wilde, & Purfetti have barely had time to acclimatize to the league. Give the spirit at least until the Christmas break before writing them off
If the team is doing well up to mid December
it is up to DD to test the market and get some upgrades. When Perfetti and Everett return makes the team instantly stronger.
Now if we are not doing so well than trade Michnac, and 99's who aren't in the future plans. Wilde would give us the best return of any and will be playing in the AHL next year. None of this would l like to see. We have a good team and a couple of bad games are growing pains for young men. Just keep winning and see where it takes us.
It is always, well next year the team will be better. They should put it on the back of their jerseys. Just wait and see what the next 10 games bring. If we are sitting in a good spot, GO FOR IT next year is anything could happen.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal

Coskey
Michnac
Gilmour
Webb
Why doesn’t Saginaw try to sign Turcotte?

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Turcotte is committed to Wisconsin 19-20 but depending on who drafts him maybe he comes next year. It would be great if DD could get him to sign and I am sure he has tried. I agree, he would be a good acquisition that wouldn't cost a bundle of picks.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
that was a fluke...idk how Branch thought that was a good deal?

Wasn’t referring to any trade in particular, London has done well trading extras to Gens, ‘67s, ....knights just recruit and sign lots of good players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->