Buyers and Sellers this year

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I feel pretty certain the league knows Ottawa will pick up two impact OA’s. With the potential of so many being available, this seems a reasonable certainty. Once they do, and they get bodies back from injury and the WJHC, they project as the clear favourite depending on what other teams decide to do at the deadline.

This means teams like Oshawa would have to go out and get a player like Suzuki just to maintain the current gap, let alone what they would need to acquire to close the gap and that is assuming the 67’s stop at just acquiring two OA’s.

I am not sure how many teams in the East have their heart in the game right now with Ottawa proving to be such a frontrunner. I am not sure Niagara will do anything other than acquire another impact OA. Sudbury needs about three scoring forwards to really be a factor. The Pete’s aren’t really in a position to contend so they may tweak a little. Outside of that, the east is pretty much an open book I think.

The West is more difficult. SSM and OS are both strong but neither have the assets to pump out their chests and be a factor. Guelph should have been strong but they are having some issues. Saginaw should blow thier load this year and chase London but they seem to be lurking in the dark right now. If OS and SSM decide to sell off assets, the market will depress. IF they stand pat or even add a piece it becomes a sellers market.

So, based on the OS and SSM situation, I think teams are forced to wait them out to see what they do before they can do much of anything. PRices will fluctuate based not heir decisions.

‘67s proving to be such a front runner and clear favourite? Idk.
Niagara is 9pts back; but, have 3 games in hand and a slightly better GF:GA despite a rough start. In one simple trade, they can send Schafer & picks for Saigeon & Mattinen giving them every thing they need ... size, playoff experience, RD, depth down the middle.
The Gens (could) add big; which, would force 67’s to add more than the two year plan allows for.
The Petes can take a practice run upsetting some team in the process. They just send a young extra D & conditional picks for Villaardi. If he shows, the Petes easily have the best PP in the conference.
The wolves have an owner that wants better attendance and recoup some of the $10M purchase price.
The east is far from decided, imo.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
‘67s proving to be such a front runner and clear favourite? Idk.
Niagara is 9pts back; but, have 3 games in hand and a slightly better GF:GA despite a rough start. In one simple trade, they can send Schafer & picks for Saigeon & Mattinen giving them every thing they need ... size, playoff experience, RD, depth down the middle.
The Gens (could) add big; which, would force 67’s to add more than the two year plan allows for.
The Petes can take a practice run upsetting some team in the process. They just send a young extra D & conditional picks for Villaardi. If he shows, the Petes easily have the best PP in the conference.
The wolves have an owner that wants better attendance and recoup some of the $10M purchase price.
The east is far from decided, imo.

Meh.

The 67s currently have DiPietro, Rossi, Chmelevski, Clark and Clark out of the lineup.

They also have two OA spots open so those two from Hamilton (or any other of the big OA's) will be added.

Felhaber-Rossi-Keating
Bitten-Chelevski-Clark
Maksimovitch-Saigeon-Clarke
Quinn-Hoelscher-Tolnai

Hoefenmeyer-Bahl
Rippon-Okhotyuk
Peric-Wilson

DiPietro
Andree

That is as deep a lineup as we've seen any OHL team in recent memory. That's adding two OA's without moving a player. There are more than enough stud OA's available to substitute names accordingly.

The 67s are willing to use their picks to acquire. So I wouldn't worry about "window.". Their window is this year. Boyd's comments are more concerning the use of players that carry forward to next year meaning it isn't a priority to deal Tolnai Ina move for a player like Suzuki. He can add to his lineup nicely with impact OA's at the normal cost of draft picks.

So, once the 67s return from Christmas and the WJHC, everyone will be back except Rossi (beginning of Feb). The 67s will be back on track reeling off another 20 game streak.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Your memory isn't very long. Last year's Greyhounds were deeper than that and the 2015 team most certainly was as well. That's not to say which team is better, but the depth isn't close, especially on the blueline. They had 3 defenders better than Ottawa's best.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
That is as deep a lineup as we've seen any OHL team in recent memory.

So, once the 67s return from Christmas and the WJHC, everyone will be back except Rossi (beginning of Feb). The 67s will be back on track reeling off another 20 game streak.[/QUOTE]

Deeper and better line ups just last year alone. From recent memory, Windsor, Erie, Knights, Generals all stronger. In fact it is pretty wide open this year, and that line up is not one of the deepest we have seen. Despite promise not to move bodies, 67's may have to. They have shown they are wanting to go for it this year and said they wont trade roster players. risky statement to make. Could end up with no OA's and a boatload of picks to use in a weak draft. Have not looked at sched but reeling off another 20 game win streak? This is quite a post.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Does anyone know the dates for the trade freeze beings and ends, the OA trade deadline, and the regular trade deadline?
Trade freeze is on now till I think dec 28th but for WJR players can be traded Jan 2nd and OA deadline Jan 9th and regular trading deadline Jan 10th

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Your memory isn't very long. Last year's Greyhounds were deeper than that and the 2015 team most certainly was as well. That's not to say which team is better, but the depth isn't close, especially on the blueline. They had 3 defenders better than Ottawa's best.

Agreed. And the Gens 2015 team was way better than that Ottawa lineup listed above (I think the OSH, ER and SSM teams from 2015 were all better than that by a large margin)

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Agreed. And the Gens 2015 team was way better than that Ottawa lineup listed above (I think the OSH, ER and SSM teams from 2015 were all better than that by a large margin)

Agreed. Not just the depth but the combination of star power
Ottawa is very good but they don’t have a Connor McDavid, Darnell Nurse, or Michael Dal Colle type player in my opinion

2016 London didn’t really have insane depth but it was solid and when you have Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk who were so elite.. didn’t matter

2017 Erie had good depth with two 50 point scorers on the 3rd line. But they also had elite players in Strome and Debricat

If you don’t have the top end star players, you better build up the depth and the defense/goaltending more so than teams with that star power. Erie had poor goalie play in the 2017 playoffs but survived because of elite offense with depth.

I don’t know which is more important. Rather, I think it’s ideal to have both.

having a bunch of depth like London in 2017 (and a great goalie like Parsons) doesn’t mean much if there isn’t necessarily 2/3 star forwards who can put the team on the back. London in 2017 had tremendous depth.. but not the star power.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Agreed. Not just the depth but the combination of star power
Ottawa is very good but they don’t have a Connor McDavid, Darnell Nurse, or Michael Dal Colle type player in my opinion

2016 London didn’t really have insane depth but it was solid and when you have Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk who were so elite.. didn’t matter

2017 Erie had good depth with two 50 point scorers on the 3rd line. But they also had elite players in Strome and Debricat

If you don’t have the top end star players, you better build up the depth and the defense/goaltending more so than teams with that star power. Erie had poor goalie play in the 2017 playoffs but survived because of elite offense with depth.

I don’t know which is more important. Rather, I think it’s ideal to have both.

having a bunch of depth like London in 2017 (and a great goalie like Parsons) doesn’t mean much if there isn’t necessarily 2/3 star forwards who can put the team on the back. London in 2017 had tremendous depth.. but not the star power.

Yeah I'm not terrified of a team who's best skater is Tye Felhaber. No offence to him because he's having a really good season, but usually the best player on the best team is a high NHL pick or future NHLer

That's why I don't believe the "we're not trading any of our young players". They need to go get a Morgan Frost, Owen Tippett or a Gabe Vilardi. If they don't, they're making a big mistake IMO

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That is as deep a lineup as we've seen any OHL team in recent memory.

So, once the 67s return from Christmas and the WJHC, everyone will be back except Rossi (beginning of Feb). The 67s will be back on track reeling off another 20 game streak.

Deeper and better line ups just last year alone. From recent memory, Windsor, Erie, Knights, Generals all stronger. In fact it is pretty wide open this year, and that line up is not one of the deepest we have seen. Despite promise not to move bodies, 67's may have to. They have shown they are wanting to go for it this year and said they wont trade roster players. risky statement to make. Could end up with no OA's and a boatload of picks to use in a weak draft. Have not looked at sched but reeling off another 20 game win streak? This is quite a post.[/QUOTE]

And this opinion hiilights exactly why so many pre-season prognosticators were so wrong. Even after reeling off 23 unbeaten in regulation, the lineup still gets overshaddowed.

When Rossi went down to injury, he was 11th in scoring playing with Felhaber and Keating who were both top 3 qat the time.

Adding Saigeon and Maksimovitch at the deadline (or comparables) won't be difficult or overly expensive. Who cares who plays with them, it would easily be a first line.

Then you have Chmelevski with Clark and Bitten as the 3rd line? Chmelevski is a top 20 scoring talent by himself. Clark (some of Wendel) is a signed Capitals draft pick.

You still have Clarke playing in the prospects game, Hoelscher, a NJ draft pick and Tolnai, a top 10 pick this year.

On the backend, they are very deep even if unheralded. Okhotyuk was the captain for Team Russia under-17 team and projects as a 2nd-3rd rounder this year. Hoefenmeyer is at a point per game. Rippon has always been highly rewarded in both ends. Bahl is a beast and early NHL pick who's been part of the summer development camp.

DiPietro in net....

The team is a lot better parts for parts than many give credit, hence their status being underrated to start the season.

I am a realist, not a Homer chest pounder. I call a spade a spade. This team stands up to any of the recent teams better than most realize.

The assumption is the 67s will easily add two impact OA's, whether it's two forwards or a forward and D-Man. That will not cost players. If we can add DiPietro without using a roster player, I am sure we can find two impact OA's for picks. There are more than enough of them available.

Reactions: dirty12 and nelli27

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Either you're "IN IT TO WIN IT" or you're not! There isn't one team out there yet that is going to sail through this league to a championship. IMO, Niagara is the closest right now however. The posters on the Saginaw, London, Guelph, Ottawa, Niagara, Oshawa, Sudbury, Soo threads can try to talk themselves into believing that they "have enough" to win or "only need one player", but not one team is there yet.
It makes me sick to my stomach knowing that OS almost has to "sell off" because of the lack of depth and draft picks in the future!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah I'm not terrified of a team who's best skater is Tye Felhaber. No offence to him because he's having a really good season, but usually the best player on the best team is a high NHL pick or future NHLer

That's why I don't believe the "we're not trading any of our young players". They need to go get a Morgan Frost, Owen Tippett or a Gabe Vilardi. If they don't, they're making a big mistake IMO

First, there are no real stars in the OHL right now. That's a fact. The biggest stars are probably DiPietro, Suzuki, Frost, and maybe Kaliyev from and NHL perspective? So, I would argue no one has any significant star power. Sermon Noel a star? Nope. Matt Strome? Nope. These are the supposed stars. They are nothing special. No different than Felhaber or Keating or Chmelevski. Their production proves it.

If Ottawa were to acquire two of:
Brazeau
Hancock
Saigeon
Maksimovitch
Durzi
Sambrook
Howdeshell
Holloewell

They would be as deep as any recent team, at least compared to other teams in our league now. I would still argue they would stack up against many of the super teams we've seen with DiPietro in net as a 19 year old.

We can disagree. But, as I've mentioned a few other times, the 67s don't get the credit they deserve because they don't have the star power and yet they reel off 23 and people still look at them and are pretty much like, " pft. Felhaber has 38 goals at the break. Meh. He's their best. Good luck." .I think a lot of people will shake their heads when this team is finally assembled and running on all cylinders.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Either you're "IN IT TO WIN IT" or you're not! There isn't one team out there yet that is going to sail through this league to a championship. IMO, Niagara is the closest right now however. The posters on the Saginaw, London, Guelph, Ottawa, Niagara, Oshawa, Sudbury, Soo threads can try to talk themselves into believing that they "have enough" to win or "only need one player", but not one team is there yet.
It makes me sick to my stomach knowing that OS almost has to "sell off" because of the lack of depth and draft picks in the future!

The 67s have the luxury of two OA spots open. They can add two OA's just as good as guys like Suzuki. Why pay that price when they can pay half that for the same impact player? Makes no sense.

If you argue they need 3 players, then that's a different argument all together. They reeled of 23 undefeated in regulation and still added DiPietro. Adding two more guys like Saigeon and Maksimovitch is significant. Both players have serious playoff experience and excellent OHL pedigree. Yet, somehow if Ottawa doesn't go after a guy like Suzuki, we aren't serious? Weird.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I think Ottawa will be fine once the injuries have cleared up and they make a couple of acquisitions.

The defence is a good 6 man unit with no real stars. Very dependable and a few can contribute offensively.

The forward lines wiĺ be just fine with a good distribution of scoring.

I agree, Frost or Tippett would be ideal additions but a few others out there are not that bad. I wish they would also look at Hollowell or Durzi for a PP QB. Vilardi would be a great addition but he is a gamble due to his injury issues.

The goaltending will just be fine with Dipietro and Andree.

I am sure management have a very precise plan in place as shown by the Dipietro acquistion. Can't see bringing him in for a 1 or 2 round playoff run.

I think London, Ottawa and Niagara would be the favourites this season. A few teams like Peterborough, Oshawa, SSM, Sudbury and maybe Saginaw could be in the hunt if they can make a couple of additions. Forgive me if I missed some other teams who may go for it this year.

The favourites do not always win as shown by Hamilton's win last season. SSM were the pick by most sports writers.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Brazeau
Hancock
Saigeon
Maksimovitch
Durzi
Sambrook
Howdeshell
Holloewell

Continually called “Maksimovitch” by seemingly half the league which gives his name an entirely different pronunciation..
It’s Maksimovich. There is no T in his name

But I do agree with the rest of your post. There really is not a lot of star power in the forward group. Frost/Hayton/Suzuki and Dellandrea probably the biggest 4 that I can think off the top of my head. But I don’t view any of those guys as Debrincat, Marner, Dvorak, Strome level of impact when just looking at offensive production. Those 4 are definitely good but none of them are on teams that are clearly going for it right now. I guess you could throw Robertson from Niagara in there.

I don’t think Ottawa has that elite level star power on offense but building depth and having DiPietro will allow them to definitely make up for it. London also doesn’t have it on offense either. I wouldn’t put Formenton/Foudy in the top 15 forwards in the league. So Ottawa is in good shape when you consider they still have tons of assets to add

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Has anyone heard the exact dates imports ( first year) can be moved? Branch eluded to a "trade window" in December but I have not heard any clear dates or actual length of this window? Any input would help as I try to track trade window key dates.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
First, there are no real stars in the OHL right now. That's a fact. The biggest stars are probably DiPietro, Suzuki, Frost, and maybe Kaliyev from and NHL perspective?
They would be as deep as any recent team, at least compared to other teams in our league now. I would still argue they would stack up against many of the super teams we've seen with DiPietro in net as a 19 year old.
They can be strong compared to other teams in the league now and still not stack up against the top teams of the past couple years, which is all people are saying and which is probably objectively true.

I think right now, they lack the depth, defense and star power of those past teams but sure, that could change after the deadline.

Reactions: ottersguy

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Ssm will not be selling.

Buyers market makes it easy to add and harder to find the value for Frost and Hayton.

London Knights only have 2 player cards remaining so that'll be interesting to see

Plus this team can win 3 rounds in playoffs easy. Let hockey gods figure the rest out

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Deeper and better line ups just last year alone. From recent memory, Windsor, Erie, Knights, Generals all stronger. In fact it is pretty wide open this year, and that line up is not one of the deepest we have seen. Despite promise not to move bodies, 67's may have to. They have shown they are wanting to go for it this year and said they wont trade roster players. risky statement to make. Could end up with no OA's and a boatload of picks to use in a weak draft. Have not looked at sched but reeling off another 20 game win streak? This is quite a post.

And this opinion hiilights exactly why so many pre-season prognosticators were so wrong. Even after reeling off 23 unbeaten in regulation, the lineup still gets overshaddowed.

When Rossi went down to injury, he was 11th in scoring playing with Felhaber and Keating who were both top 3 qat the time.

Adding Saigeon and Maksimovitch at the deadline (or comparables) won't be difficult or overly expensive. Who cares who plays with them, it would easily be a first line.

Then you have Chmelevski with Clark and Bitten as the 3rd line? Chmelevski is a top 20 scoring talent by himself. Clark (some of Wendel) is a signed Capitals draft pick.

You still have Clarke playing in the prospects game, Hoelscher, a NJ draft pick and Tolnai, a top 10 pick this year.

On the backend, they are very deep even if unheralded. Okhotyuk was the captain for Team Russia under-17 team and projects as a 2nd-3rd rounder this year. Hoefenmeyer is at a point per game. Rippon has always been highly rewarded in both ends. Bahl is a beast and early NHL pick who's been part of the summer development camp.

DiPietro in net....

The team is a lot better parts for parts than many give credit, hence their status being underrated to start the season.

I am a realist, not a Homer chest pounder. I call a spade a spade. This team stands up to any of the recent teams better than most realize.

The assumption is the 67s will easily add two impact OA's, whether it's two forwards or a forward and D-Man. That will not cost players. If we can add DiPietro without using a roster player, I am sure we can find two impact OA's for picks. There are more than enough of them available.[/QUOTE]

67’s are an excellent team. This all started with your exaggerated statement of 67’s being such clear front runners that the rest of the conference may have lost the heart to be in at the deadline.

Last edited:

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

DiPietro in net....

The assumption is the 67s will easily add two impact OA's, whether it's two forwards or a forward and D-Man. That will not cost players. If we can add DiPietro without using a roster player, I am sure we can find two impact OA's for picks. There are more than enough of them available.

67’s are an excellent team. This all started with your exaggerated statement of 67’s being such clear front runners that the rest of the conference may have lost the heart to be in at the deadline.[/QUOTE]

And I disagree.

I dont think Ottawa is above and beyond.

London ssm Ottawa.

We all are equal in my eyes... and in the playoffs itll come down to who is hungrier.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018

DiPietro in net....

The assumption is the 67s will easily add two impact OA's, whether it's two forwards or a forward and D-Man. That will not cost players. If we can add DiPietro without using a roster player, I am sure we can find two impact OA's for picks. There are more than enough of them available.[/QUOTE]

You stated the 67's if they add Maksimovich and Saigeon would be the deepest team in recent memory and another 20 game win streak post Christmas. Can not change that to Brazeau, Hancock, Durzi, Sambrook, etc... Those are not the players you had in the deepest line up of recent memory. Some play a different position = very different line up

Those are grand statements - usually you are more measured in your posts. Respectfully disagree on that Ottawa team being the deepest in memory. You may be right about reeling off a 20 win streak in the second half, but that is highly unlikely. Good luck to 67's. I like the team, and think that they are favorites especially with the new goalie but deepest in memory? No.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
67’s are an excellent team. This all started with your exaggerated statement of 67’s being such clear front runners that the rest of the conference may have lost the heart to be in at the deadline.

And I disagree.

I dont think Ottawa is above and beyond.

London ssm Ottawa.

We all are equal in my eyes... and in the playoffs itll come down to who is hungrier.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree.
My post is actually Hfp92 (your user name?) quote now, weird.

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
My opinion it looks like this right now (in order);

London
Ottawa
Sault
Niagara
Sudbury
Oshawa
Guelph

Everyone else will/should be selling and getting younger for the future. The East definitely has more competition this year and the west is odd.
The only other team I see maybe making a push would be OS but I’m gonna day they sell off and retool for the near future.

January will be fun to watch for sure!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad