Buyers and Sellers this year

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If I was the gm of Ottawa I would try to get the Pilon twins away from Sudbury one stop shopping they are the team that can upset Ottawa the twins are not gonna get you huge point totals but play that playoff game mentality every shift just ask the Sudbury fans who see them every game and oh ya they also have a goalie who is pretty good so watch out for Sudbury if they buy a couple of pieces

You say Sudbury is "the team that can upset Ottawa" but then finish that sentence by saying that they're going to trade away the heart and soul of their team...?

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
You say Sudbury is "the team that can upset Ottawa" but then finish that sentence by saying that they're going to trade away the heart and soul of their team...?
No I am saying if I were Ottawa I wouldn’t want to face Sudbury in the playoffs that is why they should try and get the Pilon twins and convince them this isn’t their year to go for it

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I think we seriously need to consider Sudbury more favourably than we all have so far. They've played a great team game, have been solid in net and are very disciplined in their system.

Oshawa has under-performed to date and there is nothing so far to suggest they haven't been somewhat over-hyped to date.

Going into the season, Niagara, Oshawa and Ottawa got all the pre-season press for the conference. Sudbury has more than poked their nose into that mix. My personal opinion is if both Sudbury and Oshawa stand pat, Oshawa is the 4th seed. There is something missing there.
Couldn't have said it better regarding the Gens. It's just a feeling from decades of watching hockey. They don't scare me at present. Love Noel though. It's a bit of a toss up really at present. To me the Wolves had better find a way to shore up their PP. 18th in the league may well catch up to them. With that said I would deal with a view towards obtaining a sniper (easier said than done I know) and most importantly, someone to quarterback the PP. If that is done, watch out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ottersguy

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'm just stating my opinion and backing it up with my reasoning, which is the entire purpose of this website, and more specific of this thread.

Sudbury came into the season as "a year away" and the only thing that's changed is they have a very good goalie for 1 year. Now of course Sudbury can still make some noise, but I don't expect to see them going in big into the rental market because Byfield could be a top 3 player in the OHL next year and I'd think that's what they try to build around for their big run. But we will see

People are going to have opinions on here, don't take everything so personal as a shot against your team. Sometimes people will just think another team is better on paper.
Games are played on the ice though aren't they ;)

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Also Updates, yes the IT factor and MVP of the Wolves so far has been UPL but he doesn't score goals etc. There is more to this team, not sure everyone realizes it.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Also Updates, yes the IT factor and MVP of the Wolves so far has been UPL but he doesn't score goals etc. There is more to this team, not sure everyone realizes it.

For what it's worth, Sudbury is 4th last in the East in goals scored. But they've given up the 2nd fewest goals against (UPL) lol

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
For what it's worth, Sudbury is 4th last in the East in goals scored. But they've given up the 2nd fewest goals against (UPL) lol
No lol. Watch the team more. I watch the Gens by the way. The young defence has been performing above expectations as well though. Look at the average shots against totals, I haven’t but seeing every game I don’t imaging they’re that high. As much as you seem to want to maybe comfort yourself believing the Wolves are all Ukko, they’re not.

Last edited:

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
My opinion is that IF Sudbury were to go for it this season they would need to add a veteran forward and at least one good puck moving defenceman. They are skilled at forward and the Pilons will throw off anyone they play against. UPL is absolutely amazing but I’ve seen him get hung out to dry. As that defence tightens up, if they can add a veteran d puck mover to bring it all together then they are 100% in the conversation for second best eastern team. Right now, in my opinion, the top eastern teams in order would be;
Ottawa
Niagara
Sudbury
Peterborough/Missy

Edit: Wow. Apologize to Oshawa. Completely missed them when I went through this post. Oshawa is tied with Sudbury at 4 right now...

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
My opinion is that IF Sudbury were to go for it this season they would need to add a veteran forward and at least one good puck moving defenceman. They are skilled at forward and the Pilons will throw off anyone they play against. UPL is absolutely amazing but I’ve seen him get hung out to dry. As that defence tightens up, if they can add a veteran d puck mover to bring it all together then they are 100% in the conversation for second best eastern team. Right now, in my opinion, the top eastern teams in order would be;
Ottawa
Niagara
Sudbury
Peterborough/Missy

Missy? Seriously? They need to SELL--they're struggling to stay above water, and don't have a 2nd rounder until 2023.. and their recent losing streak has put them in a bad spot. And Carter, Tippett and McLeod will be gone after this season--they need to be cashed in for picks/players.

Reactions: Finster8

Marj44

Jun 17, 2015
Missy? Seriously? They need to SELL--they're struggling to stay above water, and don't have a 2nd rounder until 2023.. and their recent losing streak has put them in a bad spot. And Carter, Tippett and McLeod will be gone after this season--they need to be cashed in for picks/players.

I completely agree. My opinion is they need to sell and can recoup nicely if they did so.

Not sure what that has to do with them currently having the 5-6th best roster in the East? Not sure why my opinion that they currently sit 5-6 has upset you....

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So mid-way through the year and real close to trade deadline - I see 3 maybe 4 teams that will be "buying" and about 14 teams that will be "selling" - gonna be a lot of disappointed sellers this year. I few teams will tweak but it is by far a "buyers" market this year.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
So mid-way through the year and real close to trade deadline - I see 3 maybe 4 teams that will be "buying" and about 14 teams that will be "selling" - gonna be a lot of disappointed sellers this year. I few teams will tweak but it is by far a "buyers" market this year.

May I ask who you think these 3 or 4 teams are?

Ottawa, Niagara, and London are unquestioned buyers.

Oshawa pretty much has to buy because they are really old and lose their 2 best players. It's not a situation where they can wait and be better next year.

Sudbury signaled their intentions when they took UPL. Things are going according to plan and they will buy.

Peterborough has shown a willingness to buy. They might not add a lot more, but they won't be sellers.

I think Saginaw will be buyers and they have already made some tweaks. They've been building for this year and are ready to start their competitive window.

Sault Ste. Marie might take a hybrid approach, but they can't outright sell when they are in a tough battle for first in the Conference. I expect some small additions.

There's always a surprise buyer. Maybe Guelph or Owen Sound? I wouldn't rule it out.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Could be back to 2015 prices. I was looking at what the Gens paid in 2015 and it is staggeringly low

rookie Pu+2nd+3rd for Michael McCarron

20 year old Sterk+2nd for Dakota Mermis

rights for a guy who never came+2nd+3rd+2 4ths+6th for 1.5 seasons of Matt Mistele

Reactions: LR8

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Oshawa pretty much has to buy because they are really old and lose their 2 best players. It's not a situation where they can wait and be better next year.

Sudbury signaled their intentions when they took UPL. Things are going according to plan and they will buy.

Peterborough has shown a willingness to buy. They might not add a lot more, but they won't be sellers.

I think Saginaw will be buyers and they have already made some tweaks. They've been building for this year and are ready to start their competitive window.

Sault Ste. Marie might take a hybrid approach, but they can't outright sell when they are in a tough battle for first in the Conference. I expect some small additions.

There's always a surprise buyer. Maybe Guelph or Owen Sound? I wouldn't rule it out.

Don't agree with your Oshawa diagnosis. Gens can for sure afford to add minimally or even stand pat and then be good again next year with the returning guys and picks they have. Lose Studnicka, Salinitri and Keyser but can take an NHL drafted goalie in the Euro draft and then they'll have 10 2nd round picks (more than any other team) to add to the roster. That's not a bad spot to be in, especially if they add guys who will be back at this deadline (only 1 '99 right now who is an OA candidate and that's Kyle MacLean)

Based on what Hunt has done so far I'd expect the Gens add with either cheap rentals or more expensive non-rentals and try to finish 3rd and win 1/2 rounds but leave themselves in a really good spot for next year

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Don't agree with your Oshawa diagnosis. Gens can for sure afford to add minimally or even stand pat and then be good again next year with the returning guys and picks they have. Lose Studnicka, Salinitri and Keyser but can take an NHL drafted goalie in the Euro draft and then they'll have 10 2nd round picks (more than any other team) to add to the roster. That's not a bad spot to be in, especially if they add guys who will be back at this deadline (only 1 '99 right now who is an OA candidate and that's Kyle MacLean)

Based on what Hunt has done so far I'd expect the Gens add with either cheap rentals or more expensive non-rentals and try to finish 3rd and win 1/2 rounds but leave themselves in a really good spot for next year

I wouldn't be surprised if they only made small additions, but I'm not seeing a better chance than this season. They are the oldest team in the league at 18.74 years and lose 11 players if your OA assessment is correct.

Is a core group of Noel, Vallati, and Antropov really a true contender, even with some additions? I'm not seeing it. I can think of at least 4 teams that should have much better rosters in the East.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they only made small additions, but I'm not seeing a better chance than this season. They are the oldest team in the league at 18.74 years and lose 11 players if your OA assessment is correct.

Is a core group of Noel, Vallati, and Antropov really a true contender, even with some additions? I'm not seeing it. I can think of at least 4 teams that should have much better rosters in the East.

The entire defence returns except Brassard, who's struggled this year. Noel, McShane, MacLean, Antropov, Wong, Tullio (plus whatever returning guys they get this deadline) would be a good place to start, and with 10 2nd round picks to use as assets (plus the first rounder next year, which they don't have the luxury of offering this year) I think next year is more likely the year. But still could win a couple rounds this year, especially with Keyser

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
The entire defence returns except Brassard, who's struggled this year. Noel, McShane, MacLean, Antropov, Wong, Tullio (plus whatever returning guys they get this deadline) would be a good place to start, and with 10 2nd round picks to use as assets (plus the first rounder next year, which they don't have the luxury of offering this year) I think next year is more likely the year. But still could win a couple rounds this year, especially with Keyser

Didn't you claim that they were going to use the 2nds to make a "super team" if they didn't get Perfetti? Lol

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Didn't you claim that they were going to use the 2nds to make a "super team" if they didn't get Perfetti? Lol

Yeah and they will, within their 2 year window, which is this year and next year. And I think next year they have a better chance to win because of how far ahead Ottawa already is, which is what I just said to Fischaber lol

Last edited:

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I’m starting to change my mind on the Attack. In a weaker year in the West, and possibly a buyers market, maybe they should try to add one top 6 forward and make a run. They have the talent up front and on D, now their goaltending is coming around with McLean. Could see them winning the West with a Ratcliffe pickup.
Worry about recouping picks next year.

Reactions: ottersguy

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

I guess the definition of buyers and tweakers may be where the line gets murky. I only see London, Ottawa and Saginaw as potential buyers - making the big trade lots of picks and players moving.
I see teams like Niagara ( I think their big moves are done) Guelph, Petes, Oshawa maybe the Soo as teams that will tweak - not really any big name trades but will make some smaller moves to get better. The rest of the league will hang tight and hope for a few leftovers to pick from. So my definition of Buyers is a small group this year but the rest will be in the tweak group.
The surprise this year will be a team like Owen Sound, no clue what they will do but my guess they may only move 1 player ( Suzuki).

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I feel pretty certain the league knows Ottawa will pick up two impact OA’s. With the potential of so many being available, this seems a reasonable certainty. Once they do, and they get bodies back from injury and the WJHC, they project as the clear favourite depending on what other teams decide to do at the deadline.

This means teams like Oshawa would have to go out and get a player like Suzuki just to maintain the current gap, let alone what they would need to acquire to close the gap and that is assuming the 67’s stop at just acquiring two OA’s.

I am not sure how many teams in the East have their heart in the game right now with Ottawa proving to be such a frontrunner. I am not sure Niagara will do anything other than acquire another impact OA. Sudbury needs about three scoring forwards to really be a factor. The Pete’s aren’t really in a position to contend so they may tweak a little. Outside of that, the east is pretty much an open book I think.

The West is more difficult. SSM and OS are both strong but neither have the assets to pump out their chests and be a factor. Guelph should have been strong but they are having some issues. Saginaw should blow thier load this year and chase London but they seem to be lurking in the dark right now. If OS and SSM decide to sell off assets, the market will depress. IF they stand pat or even add a piece it becomes a sellers market.

So, based on the OS and SSM situation, I think teams are forced to wait them out to see what they do before they can do much of anything. PRices will fluctuate based not heir decisions.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah and they will, within their 2 year window, which is this year and next year. And I think next year they have a better chance to win because of how far ahead Ottawa already is

I am not sure how many teams in the East have their heart in the game right now with Ottawa proving to be such a frontrunner. I am not sure Niagara will do anything other than acquire another impact OA. Sudbury needs about three scoring forwards to really be a factor. The Pete’s aren’t really in a position to contend so they may tweak a little. Outside of that, the east is pretty much an open book I think.

Yeah, it seems to me that Peterborough, Oshawa and Sudbury will all be more in the market for players who will return next season. Ottawa and Niagara are committed to this season with the Dipietro/Robertson deals and with that in mind, I think Niagara should continue to keep adding.

Oshawa might be the most in the middle of the remaining teams and I say that mostly because of the Saliniti trade. I know Generals fans will say it was just respending the picks they acquired for Commisso but the fact is they spent some of their draft pick capital for a player who will only be with the team for the remainder of this season and that isn't nothing. They also lose their two most valuable players after the season. I think they may be fairly content to mostly stay as is. They don't need to be all-in or bust this season and they also don't need to sell Keyser/Studnicka. Right now they're more likely than not to see the second round of the playoffs, though that's probably it.

Sudbury maybe has a little more reason to make some moves for this year because of their goaltending situation, with, like Oshawa, their MVP Luukkonen gone after the season. I don't think they're quite there yet but maybe they feel like their window came a year early and need to capitalize on UPL while they have them.

Peterborough has trailed the Wolves and Generals most of the season and continue to do so, but are pretty close. The Petes, unlike Oshawa and Sudbury return all their most important players next season, including their goaltender whose .921 save % is right there with UPL. The Merkley trade shows they are looking to improve their team but it's a player who returns next season as well. Likewise for the drafting of 2000 born Liam Kirk in the import draft, acquiring 2000 born Brady Hinz as the key piece of the Ang trade, and picking up 2000 born centre Max Grondin earlier this year.

Peterborough will make some moves because they have too many defencemen and too many early draft picks for next season, there just won't be room for everyone but I expect they are buying only on players who are back next year.

Reactions: Diaero

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The Petes, unlike Oshawa and Sudbury return all their most important players next season, including their goaltender whose .921 save % is right there with UPL. The Merkley trade shows they are looking to improve their team but it's a player who returns next season as well. Likewise for the drafting of 2000 born Liam Kirk in the import draft, acquiring 2000 born Brady Hinz as the key piece of the Ang trade, and picking up 2000 born centre Max Grondin earlier this year.

Peterborough will make some moves because they have too many defencemen and too many early draft picks for next season, there just won't be room for everyone but I expect they are buying only on players who are back next year.

They do lose their 2 leading goal scorers and assuming he has a good 2nd half, probably Zach Gallant. You don't usually see a guy go 3rd round and then not sign. The only way he probably doesn't get signed is if he gets hurt again when he comes back in January

The Petes are under more pressure than the Gens or Sudbury at the deadline because 2 of their 2nds are in the coming draft. Likely won't have room for either of those players and with next year being really the only year the Petes will have a chance to win, they need to turn them into guys who can help next year at this deadline. Sudbury has 1 2nd in the coming draft and the Gens have none (all of their 10 2nds are '20-'24)

fwiw, I was told the Petes had a reasonably large offer on the table for Neumann that was centered around high picks rather than players

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad