Buyers and Sellers this year

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
I wouldn’t consider that a buy in the traditional sense of the word with respect to “contenders” buying. They added a 17 year old which suggests they are looking ahead instead of for right now.
Still he is now their best option for the C2 position.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
But he wasnt gotten to win this year. If they were looking for the best 2C available, there wouldve been better "win now" options
Thanks. I considered them buyers as I noted they have bought 3 times. 2 X OA defense and an upgrade to C2. Yes he is not 20 but we are a better team today than we were yesterday.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Still he is now their best option for the C2 position.

That's more of a reflection on the status of their team moreso than the traditional sense of buying meaning "renting" a player to seasons end.

If Ottawa were to trade Tolnai for DiPietro straight up, would that mean both teams are buyers? I'm not trying to pick a fight, jsut trying to clarify the real meaning for the OP.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That's more of a reflection on the status of their team moreso than the traditional sense of buying meaning "renting" a player to seasons end.

If Ottawa were to trade Tolnai for DiPietro straight up, would that mean both teams are buyers? I'm not trying to pick a fight, jsut trying to clarify the real meaning for the OP.

Agree NB are not likely serious buyers as they most likely filled their OA spots to stabilize a young D unit.
Still, the poster twice stated NB made three trades (using future picks) to improve the team now. So they are indeed buyers, so far.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree NB are not likely serious buyers as they most likely filled their OA spots to stabilize a young D unit.
Still, the poster twice stated NB made three trades (using future picks) to improve the team now. So they are indeed buyers, so far.

That makes Windsor a buyer. They traded a boat load of picks for Cuylle. So much for DiPietro becoming available I guess. :sarcasm:

The intent of the OP was to separate the teams from a competitive standpoint. The OP wasn't intending on how this instance has been slanted.

North Bay has acquired 3 players. In each case they traded future assets being draft picks.

This does not mean North Bay is a buyer in the traditional sense of the word or in the context of this thread. North Bay may very well be categorized as a buyer but not because of these three trades.

Acquiring two OA D-men for a 4th, 5th and conditional 6th isn't a buy. It is a roster filler move. Both are decent D-men but they certainly won't move mountains and neither would probably be top 6 on the 67s roster.
Acquiring a 17 year old high draft pick for two 2nds is typically considered a deal for the future, not a buy now scenario.

I know we speak the same language and you agree with what I am saying but we should try to keep the thread clear of ambiguous assumptions that have no real value to the topic of discussion.

The 67s traded Robertson for two 2nds. Does that them make them a seller? Or were they just cleaning up roster space and acquiring assets to potentially use for future 'buyer' moves. Because the 67s have done nothing so far on the trade front to suggest they are anything other than sellers based on trades from the end of last season to date.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
NB does not really fit as a buyer or seller in the spirit of this thread; yet, a few listed NB as sellers. Maybe the poster was just, justly contesting that view.
In my view, NB should definitely ‘sell’ a goalie. Propp, Purboo, Verbetic, & Cocogoi is too much of a good thing

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
NB does not really fit as a buyer or seller in the spirit of this thread; yet, a few listed NB as sellers. Maybe the poster was just, justly contesting that view.
In my view, NB should definitely ‘sell’ a goalie. Propp, Purboo, Verbetic, & Cocogoi is too much of a good thing

Personally, i think there are only a few defined Buyers at this time. Ottawa, London, Guelph, Oshawa, and Niagara. By the time we hit Christmas, there could very well be changes in that list to include Sudbury, SSM and OS.

I think SSM and Mississauga may not sell but ride out their seasons with solid standing. Same with Oshawa.

Who knows who springs out of the woodwork though.

As far as sellers are concerned, it is tough to say. Other than Kingston in the East, the others are all at .500 or better.

In the West we need to start seeing more separation.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Personally, i think there are only a few defined Buyers at this time. Ottawa, London, Guelph, Oshawa, and Niagara. By the time we hit Christmas, there could very well be changes in that list to include Sudbury, SSM and OS.

I think SSM and Mississauga may not sell but ride out their seasons with solid standing. Same with Oshawa.

Who knows who springs out of the woodwork though.

As far as sellers are concerned, it is tough to say. Other than Kingston in the East, the others are all at .500 or better.

In the West we need to start seeing more separation.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018

Just today - "So they are indeed buyers, so far." then "NB does not really fit as a buyer or seller in the spirit of this thread" and "NB should definitely ‘sell’ a goalie." Sounds like no real plan in place might be what you are feeling from the team? Do you think they keep Brazeau? Should they? Would be big return.

What is story with you Coach and GM? Will he be back? That might be affecting the uncertainty?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just today - "So they are indeed buyers, so far." then "NB does not really fit as a buyer or seller in the spirit of this thread" and "NB should definitely ‘sell’ a goalie." Sounds like no real plan in place might be what you are feeling from the team? Do you think they keep Brazeau? Should they? Would be big return.

What is story with you Coach and GM? Will he be back? That might be affecting the uncertainty?

Not my coach & GM. :) He was well enough to comment on trade; so, that’s good. I hope he recovers from whatever fully.
Make the team better is the plan, I hope.
Asking me if Brazeau should be traded? idk. If an ‘02 or forward well on his way toward dominant player & picks can be had for Brazeau & Propp; yes, I would.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I think teams like North Bay are not notable splurge teams at the deadline. So I doubt they would go out and make a big splash. I could see them tweak the roster a bit and try to pull out a first round win by getting into the 4th or 5th seed but I doubt they push hard to climb higher.

They are also not noted sellers either. So, I agree with Dirty. IF they get an offer they cannot refuse, maybe they trade Brazeau. But, I doubt it.

I think they will stay status quo or continue with the types of trades they’ve already made...relatively inexpensive investments in veteran players that fill a role and maybe acquire another young kid that they project better than the assets they trade.

Reactions: Tarantula

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Every single team is trying to get better, so by that logic the league has 20 buyers and 0 sellers....

More like some teams are not buyers and instead adding young players for future years (Windsor and NB as examples) and some times will be giving away young players and assets to get older players to win now (Guelph and Ottawa as examples)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Every single team is trying to get better, so by that logic the league has 20 buyers and 0 sellers....

More like some teams are not buyers and instead adding young players for future years (Windsor and NB as examples) and some times will be giving away young players and assets to get older players to win now (Guelph and Ottawa as examples)

Yeah, yeah, I get it; NB are not buyers or sellers in the context of what most interpret the thread buyers and sellers to be :) I made the grave mistake of defending a poster’s view that technically NB have been buyers as they have added two OA D and a #2C (in his opinion) in exchange for future picks.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Yeah, yeah, I get it; NB are not buyers or sellers in the context of what most interpret the thread buyers and sellers to be :) I made the grave mistake of defending a poster’s view that technically NB have been buyers as they have added two OA D and a #2C (in his opinion) in exchange for future picks.
Thanks for defending my piint

I'll just walk away now, apparently I've ruined a thread with my lack of buy/sell knowledge.

As you were.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Thanks for defending my piint

I'll just walk away now, apparently I've ruined a thread with my lack of buy/sell knowledge.

As you were.

LOL. Don’t get pissy.

It is a debate. We are here for that as long as it stays respectful.

As mentioned, so far the only thing Ottawa has done is trade Robertson for two 2nds which makes them sellers. Clearly that isn’t the case.

It isn’t always clear based on the face value of transactions.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, Rangers have to sell. And in my opinion, we won't contend next year so if I were running the show, anyone who isn't eligible or is highly unlikely to play in the 2020-21 season is on the block.

That means current OA's Campbell, Gentles, '99's Garreffa, Meireles, McHugh, Yantsis, Richardson. '00 Damiani. Imports Hugg and Lipanov.

Some would bring good to large return. Some would be tough to trade. I'm not saying we'd move em all. I mean, we have to ice a team. But I 100% shop them all.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
As far as I'm concerned, Rangers have to sell. And in my opinion, we won't contend next year so if I were running the show, anyone who isn't eligible or is highly unlikely to play in the 2020-21 season is on the block.

That means current OA's Campbell, Gentles, '99's Garreffa, Meireles, McHugh, Yantsis, Richardson. '00 Damiani. Imports Hugg and Lipanov.

Some would bring good to large return. Some would be tough to trade. I'm not saying we'd move em all. I mean, we have to ice a team. But I 100% shop them all.
...would Petizian(sp) be available????

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
So we know for sure

Buyers: Niagara, Ottawa
Stand Pat or Buy( London, Guelph, Oshawa)
Buy or Sell (Soo, Owen Sound, Saginaw)

Sellers: Flint, Kingston,

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
With Hamilton sliding in the standings and increasingly looking like a #8 seed at best, the Bulldogs are very close to being in the sellers category. Especially if they continue to slide in the next week or two.

Reactions: LDN

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With Hamilton sliding in the standings and increasingly looking like a #8 seed at best, the Bulldogs are very close to being in the sellers category. Especially if they continue to slide in the next week or two.

I want Saigeon for Ottawa. For me, he is the best available value forward being an OA. I think he is better than Robertson and will be much cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad