Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Goalie - Linus Ullmark 4yrs @ 5 mil AAV

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Best part about this is it all but guarantees Rask has played his last game as a Bruin

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Hate this deal! He might be good but i wanted cheap at the position and better on the roster. We had the potential to do that and its gone now

100%. Our only real chance of winning is if Swayman truly is what he was last year. In that case, Ullmark is a 5m backup.

Our best shot was to bet on Swayman and use the cap space on the skating roster, ideally on D.

Reactions: HuskyBruinPride

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
100%. Our only real chance of winning is if Swayman truly is what he was last year. In that case, Ullmark is a 5m backup.

Our best shot was to bet on Swayman and use the cap space on the skating roster, ideally on D.
Yup. Would have rather signed Holtby on a cheap 1 year deal while grooming Swayman as starter.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Maybe stud is a bit of an exaggeration. But honestly I think he's gonna be really good, I'm very high on Swayman. Kid looked ridiculously poised right out of the gate.

I think hes going to be very good. Ive followed him since day1 in Maine.

But lets look at facts.
He has 10 games under his belt. 10.

His most grueling season was at Maine a few years ago. 35 games over 6 months. Where you mainly play weekends. Travel isnt laborious and practice is plenty.

The plan, rightfully so IMO, was to see if he had endurance for the pro game. As well as how does he react once his number of games go up and opposing teams break down film against him. He’s kinda mystery to the league now. That changes.

So although I fully believe in the kid I prefer the tact they are taking with him.

If they both workout we have an amazing problem of a total goalie charge of under 6 million for the next few years. Awesome.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I think hes going to be very good. Ive followed him since day1 in Maine.

But lets look at facts.
He has 10 games under his belt. 10.

His most grueling season was at Maine a few years ago. 35 games over 6 months. Where you mainly play weekends. Travel isnt laborious and practice is plenty.

The plan, rightfully so IMO, was to see if he had endurance for the pro game. As well as how does he react once his number of games go up and opposing teams break down film against him. He’s kinda mystery to the league now. That changes.

So although I fully believe in the kid I prefer the tact they are taking with him.

If they both workout we have an amazing problem of a total goalie charge of under 6 million for the next few years. Awesome.
I just personally would have rather seen them commit to someone on a shorter contract to see if Swayman is the real deal or not. If they're both good then indeed we have a good situation on our hands. I just feel like this signing is risky in terms of price and length all things considered. I hope they both play great and we end up with that "problem".

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
After some time to digest, I don't think this is necessarily the end of Tuukka.

He can come back and tandem with Ulmark in Jan or Feb and Swayman could go to Providence.

Reactions: inactive user

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Yea, 5M is a lot, and for 4 years?

If Swayman takes over (not saying he will), but if he does sooner than later, we have a 5 million dollar back up.

Was hoping for a shorter term option. Don't hate it. But it's pricey. And with goalie luck, Vladar could have been a better cheaper option.

Not a huge fan of Ulmark, not the worst option, but just feeling meh about it.

Anyways, at least these they are making changes.

Or a decent trade piece with term

4 years seems like a long time but apparently someone knows something I don’t, and they are paid to after all

Reactions: Ladyfan

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
NHL rankings over the past two seasons at 5-vs-5 (minimum 10 games played):

Save %
1. Jeremy Swayman - .951
2. Chris Driedger - .944
3. Alex Nedeljkovic - .938
4. Anton Khudobin - .934
5. Tuukka Rask - .933
6. Linus Ullmark - .932
36. Jaroslav Halak - .920

Goals Against Average
1. Jeremy Swayman - 1.34
2. Chris Driedger - 1.66
3. Alex Nedeljkovic - 1.71
4. Anton Khudobin - 1.82
5. Tuukka Rask - 1.82
6. Philipp Grubauer - 1.92
7. Semyon Varlamov - 2.04
8. Jake Oettinger - 2.04
9. Linus Ullmark - 2.08
18. Jaroslav Halak - 2.22

Goals Saved Above Average per 60 min.
1. Jeremy Swayman - 0.91
2. Chris Driedger - 0.75
3. Alex Nedeljkovic - 0.55
4. Linus Ullmark - 0.44
5. Juuse Saros - 0.44
6. Anton Khudobin - 0.43
7. Tuukka Rask - 0.40
37. Jaroslav Halak - 0.06

Drunkenfish

Oct 1, 2018
Frankly he hasn't done jack shit to deserve 5 million a year IMO. Also 4 years is sorta baffling when you have an NHL ready stud like Swayman. I'll give the guy a chance but shorter and cheaper would have been nice.
Bah, he as done well with Buffalo with some good advace stats. Maybe with a good team is better than Rask (maybe not better) well see.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Good goalie, bad team. With a better team in front of him, he's going to shine.

I also think the Bruins are probably done with Rask. There's a chance he comes back as Ullmark's backup ( or vice versa, depending on results ) but I wonder if the team felt like if it wasn't one thing, it's another with him. Having to manage his starts the past few seasons, the bubble incident, injury limiting his results in the playoffs, the G6 and G7 weak goals, etc etc. Rask will go down as one of the all time Bruins great netminders, but I can't shake the feeling that the Bruins are just tired of some of the stuff that surrounds him and want to move in another direction.

I can see Ullmark getting moved at some point in the contract to let Swayman take the reigns. Or they just roll with an expensive, but solid backup.

All in all, I think this was a great move.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I mean, I'm sure the contract offer didn't hurt, but...

“Well, obviously it was a blast to see that our guys that went from Buffalo to Boston were thriving and playing really well,” Ullmark said. “They really seemed like they fit right in, right form the start. That’s also a very fun thing for me as well, thinking about when I have the opportunity to sign there as well, if those guys came in and were well taken care of, why shouldn’t it be the same for me. And I’ve heard a lot of good things from other players that have played in Boston as well, talking about the franchise and the mindset and how people are taken care of and how everybody cares for one another. When we lost them from Buffalo, we wished them all the best, and look where we are now.”

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
I mean, I'm sure the contract offer didn't hurt, but...

“Well, obviously it was a blast to see that our guys that went from Buffalo to Boston were thriving and playing really well,” Ullmark said. “They really seemed like they fit right in, right form the start. That’s also a very fun thing for me as well, thinking about when I have the opportunity to sign there as well, if those guys came in and were well taken care of, why shouldn’t it be the same for me. And I’ve heard a lot of good things from other players that have played in Boston as well, talking about the franchise and the mindset and how people are taken care of and how everybody cares for one another. When we lost them from Buffalo, we wished them all the best, and look where we are now.”

Eichel watching everything going on while he remains in Buffalo.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Criminally unheralded (but understandable as to why). He will hold the fort until the kid is ready, and when he is, he will push Swayman while serving as a great option if Swayman falters at any point.

if they both play well, he’s on a tradeable deal considering his age and likely solid level of play.

My only concern would be his durability. Lots of knocks and dings over the course of his time that might have hindered his March to the top of the depth chart. Always questioned how real of a prospect it was to have him play a full season as a full fledged #1. He can probably do it and do it well, but you guys thankfully don’t seem to need that.

Edit- just saw the NMC piece…. In the words of the great philosopher Joe Girardi, “that’s not what you want”

still a fine add for you guys imo

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Or a decent trade piece with term

4 years seems like a long time but apparently someone knows something I don’t, and they are paid to after all
That's if he is playing at a calibre worth 5M. 5 million dollar backups don't fetch anything if they aren't playing like one.

A lot of whatifs on both sides.

Risky from both angles, but at least they made their decision and are going to live with it. That I'm at least happy with. (Whether the moves pan out is another concern, but for now at least we have some new blood)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Excellent move

Got to spike the football here had 4/20 yesterday morning on HF as my number one move and Vladar getting traded to open up the way it went ….

My idea was
1. Sign Ullmark 4/20 you are covered with a legit goalie who more then one scout said or joked he should be a Vezina Finalist

2. Swayman can share time with him and be brought along at 55 MPH not 75. Swayman does not have to clear waivers so when Rask if he’s ready to play you have that option to send him down

3. Rask comes back great and Sweeney already said they have had excellent talks

To me this morning they have a goalie tandem of Ullmark & Swayman for now and next four years with potentially Rask in February

either goalie injured or Swayman should struggle (doubtful) they are set

to me all along this was a great plan and I conveyed it to friends including people here

Ullmark & Swayman I’m very happy with

Calgary I don’t see as a playoff team and the Vladar pick should be 70-80 in a deep draft- deep draft Brett Harrison, Jakob Lauko range how they been drafting

explains the Swedish goalie they just took / The Draft Analyst had high praise and Axelsson who obviously made the call… I wanted and still due Dylan Duke there but Sweeney couldnt hear me pound the table .., and he is Sweden’s u18 Goalie so logic Is someone thinks he’s legit

Worst part is Vladar is good and super popular with everyone who comes around him

I’m happy for him and hope he’s very successful in Calgary

You can barf over this your entitled to your opinion but I see it sets them up now and future

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad