Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Goalie - Linus Ullmark 4yrs @ 5 mil AAV

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Smart move by both parties.

Ullmark gets to head to a strong defensive team where he should be able to put up great numbers.

The Bruins get the perfect guy to bridge the gap between Rask and Swayman.

Sweeney's best move of the day.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Saw a comment on the main board how Ullmark "will be talked about as one of the best goalies in the world" this time next year. Let's hope it comes to fruition and makes this contact a little easier to swallow.
His play on Buffalo reminds me of what Thomas was like in 2005-06. Absolute crap team in front of him but had an impressive save %.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
WOW.

Cannot process this one due to the 4 years part of it, and the Rask implications. It's....a lot to take in right now

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
How I feel about it is that I love Tuuka, always did, always will, but he is having major surgery at an age and in a playing position where that injury is serious stuff. Jan/Feb return at best. Career ended at worst and it wouldn't shock me if it were. We needed a tested NHL goalie (and one who I happen to think is pretty good) for at least half the season if not longer. I am not in favor of throwing Swayman, who I really like as a prospect, to the wolves. Let him do his time, learn the pro game, adapt to a heavier workload and get all the best chances to become the #1 we think he will. In the meantime, Linus works. He is not Tuuka, but he's good.
Agreed with all this. Also kind of glad they traded Vladar so we know we'll still get to see Swayman start with the Big B's and develop more with the pressure of being #1.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Kornheiser_Why.jpg

Reactions: HuskyBruinPride

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
What does this mean for Tuukka!! Ah this is too much too soon.

I have high hopes for this kid, lot of money on a gamble though. Hope he can stay healthy.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Want to see the cash, but I don't hate it. I was ready to roll Swayman and Vladar.
Yea, 5M is a lot, and for 4 years?

If Swayman takes over (not saying he will), but if he does sooner than later, we have a 5 million dollar back up.

Was hoping for a shorter term option. Don't hate it. But it's pricey. And with goalie luck, Vladar could have been a better cheaper option.

Not a huge fan of Ulmark, not the worst option, but just feeling meh about it.

Anyways, at least these they are making changes.

Reactions: UConn126

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Guy who statistically overperformed in a limited amount of time on a historically bad Buffalo team is suddenly worth committing $20 million over 4 years to when you've got a potential franchise goalie prospect as well as your longtime franchise goalie due to come back in January/February?

I just...I can't.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
This is just an idiotic move all around.

On one hand, you are either saying you dont trust Swayman, or are fully expecting to have 2-3 years of a $5m backup goalie

On the other you just kicked your Vezina winning elite goaltender out the door unceremoniously and with plenty of gas in the tank

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yea, 5M is a lot, and for 4 years?

If Swayman takes over (not saying he will), but if he does sooner than later, we have a 5 million dollar back up.

Was hoping for a shorter term option. Don't hate it. But it's pricey. And with goalie luck, Vladar could have been a better cheaper option.

Not a huge fan of Ulmark, not the worst option, but just feeling meh about it.

Anyways, at least these they are making changes.
Overall they're paying their goalies under 7 mil combined...thats the only number that really matters regardless of who is starter and backup.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
His play on Buffalo reminds me of what Thomas was like in 2005-06. Absolute crap team in front of him but had an impressive save %.

Well, Swayman played in front of a crap Maine team. And Ullmark played in front of a crap Sabres team...
Thinking the Bruins are just like "screw it" on defense, and hope their goalie bails them out because both of them have been used to it.

Reactions: Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Overall they're paying their goalies under 7 mil combined...thats the only number that really matters regardless of who is starter and backup.

While I see your point, with a defense that still needs upgrades, we'll see if it was the best choice of cap allotment.

Like I said, I don't hate it, just still think the #1 LD spot is a big point of contention. Still have time to fix it, and I'm actually impressed with the amount of movement they made. Biggest off-season we've had in a while.

Reactions: NDiesel

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
While I see your point, with a defense that still needs upgrades, we'll see if it was the best choice of cap allotment.

Like I said, I don't hate it, just still think the #1 LD spot is a big point of contention. Still have time to fix it, and I'm actually impressed with the amount of movement they made. Biggest off-season we've had in a while.
Sweeney is done with the D. Forbort is the upgrade you all were waiting for. There's your "mean and nasty."

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario

On one hand, you are either saying you dont trust Swayman, or are fully expecting to have 2-3 years of a $5m backup goalie

On the other you just kicked your Vezina winning elite goaltender out the door unceremoniously and with plenty of gas in the tank
Or you picked a franchise goaltender in his prime without giving assets. I thought it was a excellent signing.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

Swayman is young, but I do question managements faith in him by signing another goalie to a larger 4 year deal. to another goalie, woulda been happier with 2 or 3, but won't complain that much about it. That and not being played over an injured Rask, just makes me wonder where they view the kid. Maybe it pushes Swayman, the whole Manny Fernandez acquisition pushed Thomas into another stratosphere. It's unfair to compare anyone to Thomas, but in that case, competition was a good thing.

As for Rask, he's injured, it's been 7 seasons since his actual Vezina win, and while he's been solid when we needed him to, I'm glad management is actually a bit pro-active here instead of waiting.

As for it being the right move... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad