Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Goalie - Linus Ullmark 4yrs @ 5 mil AAV

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I was impressed with Ullmark on the Sabres but 4 years? Sweeney's really going out on a limb here given how unpredictable goalies can be. This is the deal most likely to blow up in his face I think.

On the other hand, he's the right age, maybe he'll be a stud for us. Impossible to say.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
We seem to be fixing the positions we didn’t need to.

what about the D Donny. We have smurfs and marshmallows back there, comeon!

Reactions: Yeti34

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Well this addition is very promising. I really like this one as well. I think sweeney is a really good gm. He proves it over and over again. We shall see I suppose.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Nice surprise signing. Wanted Holtby myself for veteran leadership reasons, but Ullmark is a great addition. Especially when he was one of the few bright lights for an atrocious Sabres team.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Glad Ullmark did a nice job with a substandard D in front of him last season. As it stands it looks like he will get to try it again this coming season.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Rask/Halak for $9.75 million in 20/21
Ullmark/Swayman for $5.925 in 21/22

The former is a safer bet but with Rask's injury status and Ullmark likely entering his prime and Swayman a very promising prospect, I like the latter more especially with the almost $4 million in cap savings.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Not a stand in with that kind of money ,more like Rask is done.
Term is a bit long, but good move overall. Much as we all love the idea that Swayman is fully formed NHL-caliber goalie ready to play 45-55 games, having at least a year (maybe more) without that pressure will serve him and the organization well. I feel like Ullmark is wise hedge and might turn out to be hidden gem. Not counting on Tuukka returning, can easily see him saying F this and retiring.
Welcome Linus:yo:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
And I thought they were done after Forbort. Lol.

Machine gun DS. About as active as I can recall.

Seems to indicate they won’t spend a dime on Rask.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Welcome Linus!

The term and AAV I can live with. The NMC is a bit of a pain but I can understand why Ullmark would want it. I think on the whole it's a good move. The idea of just waiting on Rask and playing the kids never sat well with me, and Ullmark has been very very good the last two years.

The questions raised around whether he can carry a heavier workload, and why we seem to be 'holding Swayman back' by hiring another senior guy for so long, I think both have the same answer - I see no reason why the two of them can't split the goalie duties roughly 50/50, with playoffs duty simply being assigned based on form/fitness. They would essentially be a 1A & 1B, unless one of them has a particular dip in form. For the first 2 years, with Swayman still on his ELC, I see zero problem with that. After that they may need to reassess, but management can cross that bridge when they come to it. In the meantime I look forward to seeing what Ullmark can do with a better team in front of him.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Not gonna lie, I love this kid. Never projected him for Boston though. I thought he should have been Vegas's expansion pick, but obviously it's worked out well for them in other directions. I'm happy he's here and will have a better team in front of him.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Frankly he hasn't done jack shit to deserve 5 million a year IMO. Also 4 years is sorta baffling when you have an NHL ready stud like Swayman. I'll give the guy a chance but shorter and cheaper would have been nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad