Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Goalie - Linus Ullmark 4yrs @ 5 mil AAV

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Something to put Ullmark's play in Buffalo in perspective.

Last year he was responsible for 60% of their wins (9 out of 15). And this was team that at one point lost 18 in a row.

Yet, he only appeared in 32% of their games.

The Buffalo Sabres the past two seasons basically lose 2 games out of every 3. Ullmark on the other hand has one win out of every two games played.

I think that says a lot about his capability. There is a pretty clear correlation between when Ullmark's plays and the increase in the number of wins for the Sabres. When he plays, their chances of winning rose substantially.

Can he stay healthy? He's a big guy but he also makes some spectacular saves. Great glove hand. He makes a lot of desperation saves that sometimes you wonder upon first glance if he injured himself throwing his body across the crease like that. His technique isn't as refined as Rask's but he's more of a battler/desperation saver than Rask was (not trying to knock Rask just different styles). Ullmark shouldn't need to make as many of those types of saves playing behind a historically strong defensive team like the Bruins.

I think this signing not only has the potential to be good but perhaps even very good.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019

Last year he was responsible for 60% of their wins (9 out of 15). And this was team that at one point lost 18 in a row.

The Buffalo Sabres the past two seasons basically lose 2 games out of every 3. Ullmark on the other hand has one win out of every two games played.

I think that says a lot about his capability. There is a pretty clear correlation between when Ullmark's plays and the increase in the number of wins for the Sabres. When he plays, their chances of winning rose substantially.

Can he stay healthy? He's a big guy but he also makes some spectacular saves. Great glove hand. He makes a lot of desperation saves that sometimes you wonder upon first glance if he injured himself throwing his body across the crease like that. His technique isn't as refined as Rask's but he's more of a battler/desperation saver than Rask was (not trying to knock Rask just different styles). Ullmark shouldn't need to make as many of those types of saves playing behind a historically strong defensive team like the Bruins.

I think this signing not only has the potential to be good but perhaps even very good.
Agreed, and to build on this he has some no trade/no move protection built in to the first two years of this deal.

This is the “Swayman is ready” portion of the contract. Once those two years are up and Swayman is potentially ready for top dog duty, Ullmark could be a very valuable trade chip

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011

Also a large chunk of that was playing behind Ralph Krueger's chaotic defensive system. Playing under Cassidy's system will feel like he's playing beer league in comparison. I didn't love the term initially but the more I think about it the more I like the potential here.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Why have I thought Ullmark was this 5'10" goalie playing in Buffalo? Seeing his winning percentage and Buffalo's need of good draft picks I get the lack of starts. Or was it due to injuries?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Why have I thought Ullmark was this 5'10" goalie playing in Buffalo? Seeing his winning percentage and Buffalo's need of good draft picks I get the lack of starts. Or was it due to injuries?

Injuries and when he’s been healthy a sprinkle of pandemic shortened seasons

Although if you look at his minor league games played the only season he really didn’t play more than 48 games was in 2018-2019 when they were breaking him in with Carter Hutton. Doesn’t seem like injuries are as big of an issue as they’re made out to be. I don’t see us riding him like a horse anyway. He’ll get 45-50 games in net barring injury

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Mockey

Aug 19, 2021
Hello fans of Boston Bruins,

I just wanted to present my perspective and tell you guys a bit about Linus Ullmark.

We both come from the same town in Sweden, or actually he is born in Lugnvik which is about 60 km from Ornskoldsvik but he was raised and metored as a player in MODO Hockey, which is based in Ornskoldsvik.

I've known Linus for a couple of years personally and i visited him when he was playing in Rochester, AHL.
It's not like were best friends or something like that, we just know eachother abit and talk from time to time.

First of all you guys have aquired (in my opinion) one of the best goalies currently playing in the league.
I've followed Linus all the way since he was in the juniors in Sweden, and when he climed up to SHL everyone knew he would not stay for long.

I've never favourised a team in NHL before i started following the journey of Linus Ullmark, just been following teams with players from our small town (Ornskoldsvik), for you that read this and are old enough to remember some of these players, many seriously good players come from our small little northen Swedish town, 50k citizens, which is quite unique to be honest when it comes to producing NHL players.

Peter Forsberg is for ever a god in this town.

upload_2021-8-19_11-38-16.png

Impressive numbers and some really good players indeed.

But back to Linus,

He got trown into NHL his first season because of injuries, which was not fair since he had played only 2 games in AHL if i remember correctly, then he did 20 games in NHL
with a SV% 0.913, which is pretty impressive. Then they mentored him the right way in AHL for 2 full seasons and he kept growing and growing, but then he had to do double hip surgury, which is quite common with goalies but that took some time off him, but after this he kept working hard as fk to step in as n1.

Buffalo on the other hand kept playing these shit goalies and not showing him that they really believed in him until last season, and i think Linus took that quite hard because he had given it all and proved him self over and over that he was ready. Worst coach that ever stood behind a bench in NHL is Ralph Kreuger, he literally destroyed Sabres from top to bottom. But Linus kept staying positive anyway and kept providing some really good numbers playing for the worst team in NHL.

This kid is, if given proper medical staff and team around him, will win a Stanley Cup, 100%. Because he is that good, he really is.

In Buffalo Sabres he has been unlucky with injuries but i think their medical staff is not so good to be honest, they failed really hard with Robin Lehner aswell.

I will always be a Sabres fan thanks to Linus (eventhough it really sucks), but what matters to me personally in the end is Linus and how he progresses, i vouge for this kid hard and really want him to succeed and i think Boston Bruins might help him take the next step. So let's say i will for now cheer 30% for Sabres and 70% for Bruins. :)

Linus has a very unique spirit and you will probably see that during interviews, he always put his team first and is very hard on him self if his team loses, even if it wasnt his fault at all. This is what makes him a winner and i truly believe he will prove that to you guys.

Hope this helps understanding him a bit more.

Regards
"Mockey"

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hello fans of Boston Bruins,

I just wanted to present my perspective and tell you guys a bit about Linus Ullmark.

We both come from the same town in Sweden, or actually he is born in Lugnvik which is about 60 km from Ornskoldsvik but he was raised and metored as a player in MODO Hockey, which is based in Ornskoldsvik.

I've known Linus for a couple of years personally and i visited him when he was playing in Rochester, AHL.
It's not like were best friends or something like that, we just know eachother abit and talk from time to time.

First of all you guys have aquired (in my opinion) one of the best goalies currently playing in the league.
I've followed Linus all the way since he was in the juniors in Sweden, and when he climed up to SHL everyone knew he would not stay for long.

I've never favourised a team in NHL before i started following the journey of Linus Ullmark, just been following teams with players from our small town (Ornskoldsvik), for you that read this and are old enough to remember some of these players, many seriously good players come from our small little northen Swedish town, 50k citizens, which is quite unique to be honest when it comes to producing NHL players.

Peter Forsberg is for ever a god in this town.

View attachment 461663

Impressive numbers and some really good players indeed.

But back to Linus,

He got trown into NHL his first season because of injuries, which was not fair since he had played only 2 games in AHL if i remember correctly, then he did 20 games in NHL
with a SV% 0.913, which is pretty impressive. Then they mentored him the right way in AHL for 2 full seasons and he kept growing and growing, but then he had to do double hip surgury, which is quite common with goalies but that took some time off him, but after this he kept working hard as fk to step in as n1.

Buffalo on the other hand kept playing these shit goalies and not showing him that they really believed in him until last season, and i think Linus took that quite hard because he had given it all and proved him self over and over that he was ready. Worst coach that ever stood behind a bench in NHL is Ralph Kreuger, he literally destroyed Sabres from top to bottom. But Linus kept staying positive anyway and kept providing some really good numbers playing for the worst team in NHL.

This kid is, if given proper medical staff and team around him, will win a Stanley Cup, 100%. Because he is that good, he really is.

In Buffalo Sabres he has been unlucky with injuries but i think their medical staff is not so good to be honest, they failed really hard with Robin Lehner aswell.

I will always be a Sabres fan thanks to Linus (eventhough it really sucks), but what matters to me personally in the end is Linus and how he progresses, i vouge for this kid hard and really want him to succeed and i think Boston Bruins might help him take the next step. So let's say i will for now cheer 30% for Sabres and 70% for Bruins. :)

Linus has a very unique spirit and you will probably see that during interviews, he always put his team first and is very hard on him self if his team loses, even if it wasnt his fault at all. This is what makes him a winner and i truly believe he will prove that to you guys.

Hope this helps understanding him a bit more.

Regards
"Mockey"

welcome and thank you for the information.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not digging the NMC or NTC of this deal but this was clearly a case of Sweeney not being at all comfortable heading into the season with rookies between the pipes. I think in a structured system such as Boston`s, Ullmark will be fine. That said, we all know that many here hammered the winningest goalie in Bruins history all the time the moment he let in a softie so I fully expect Ullmark to be hammered consistently on Hf

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Agreed it’s potentially a great signing. Zero doubt in his ability as a goaltender at all. Only concern is his health, but it’s a pretty big concern. Definitely a gamble signing but if it pays off the bruins have an above average goalie at a pretty cheap AAV for a #1 goalie. All depends on his health as you mentioned.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Will admit that this will be wierd. I'm Swedish and I don't have a natural team to support, so I support the teams with players from my home town. And, yeah, 2011 I wasn't really supporting the Bruins in the finals...

PJ Axelsson is pretty much the only prolific Swedish Bruins player. I think Ullmark has a good chance to become the second one.

Reactions: Gordoff and Alicat

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
PJ Axelsson is pretty much the only prolific Swedish Bruins player. I think Ullmark has a good chance to become the second one.

To be honest, I think few Swedes have fitted the bruins style of play over the years. Peter Forsberg would have made a good bruin, and maybe Renberg during his prime.

It might be me but the Bruins have always played a very North American kind of Hockey.

It would be fantastic if he became the second. And since the Canucks most profiled Swede is from our biggest rivals (Timrå), you are very welcome to beat them again in another final.

Reactions: KWbruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad