Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Goalie - Linus Ullmark 4yrs @ 5 mil AAV

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
A scandinavian goalie has NEVER won a Stanley Cup.

Pelle Lindbergh never really got a chance. He and Lundqvist could easily have won had they been on the right teams. Andersen probably could, as well. Lehner might.

Other than those guys, Tommy Salo is probably the best Scandinavian NHL goalie ever, so it's not exactly a shock none have won a cup. And it says nothing about Ullmark.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Finland isn't part of Scandinavia, which makes his point even more irrelevant (because it's just Sweden and one Danish goalie, don't think there's been a Norwegian one).

Ah, thanks. I googled and quickly saw Finland mentioned so just assumed. No Alaskan goalie has ever won a Cup either so..... I guess the Bruins are screwed :laugh:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Maybe stud is a bit of an exaggeration. But honestly I think he's gonna be really good, I'm very high on Swayman. Kid looked ridiculously poised right out of the gate.
I like Swayman as well but with Tuukka out this Linus signing is as good as it gets. If we have one too many #1 net minders I am sure a trade can be made. It is too important of a position to think we will be all right.

I thought this signing was brilliant.

Reactions: caz16

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I am still not sure I am exactly “comfortable” with the deal, more because of the term than anything, but signing a goaltender from Buffalo for money and term will inevitably be criticized by a large group of posters. I’m sure many people consider it some sort of “common knowledge” that everyone employed by the Sabres sucks and should be out of the league.

I’m surprised the FO had the balls to do it. I’m going to trust they’ve done their homework on it and aren’t just throwing money at an experienced starter in what they see as a desperate situation.

I also think people that think Tuukka Rask is still coming back are naive. But maybe I’ll get proven wrong there.

Reactions: kjpm and Ladyfan

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I like Swayman as well but with Tuukka out this Linus signing is as good as it gets. If we have one too many #1 net minders I am sure a trade can be made. It is too important of a position to think we will be all right.

I thought this signing was brilliant.
What if Swayman picks up where he left off then Ullmark struggles? In that case moving his contract might not be so easy, and we could be stuck with a 5 million dollar anchor as a backup. I'm just saying, the terms of the contract in relation to the (relatively short) length of his resume and injury history make it a signing with some degree of risk.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I am still not sure I am exactly “comfortable” with the deal, more because of the term than anything, but signing a goaltender from Buffalo for money and term will inevitably be criticized by a large group of posters. I’m sure many people consider it some sort of “common knowledge” that everyone employed by the Sabres sucks and should be out of the league.

I’m surprised the FO had the balls to do it. I’m going to trust they’ve done their homework on it and aren’t just throwing money at an experienced starter in what they see as a desperate situation.

I also think people that think Tuukka Rask is still coming back are naive. But maybe I’ll get proven wrong there.
I mean I guess if he wants to come back and play at a pro rated minimum then they could possibly find a role, but they no longer "need" Rask or are at the mercy of him.

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
What if Swayman picks up where he left off then Ullmark struggles? In that case moving his contract might not be so easy, and we could be stuck with a 5 million dollar anchor as a backup. I'm just saying, the terms of the contract in relation to the (relatively short) length of his resume and injury history make it a signing with some degree of risk.
I think it going to be more of a platoon situation anyway you slice it with these two. So if one guy struggles they will just ride the other a little more.

Reactions: Ladyfan

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Tuukka masked quite a bit of the deficiencies of the D last season. Ullmark will need to do the same this season. I just hope he can do it as well as Rask. Yeah, I know that he played for Buffalo. Different team, different system, different kind of pressure, different set of deficiencies. Like some other posters, I am not going to jump in elation over this signing. On the surface the contract seems a bit risky and an overpay, but I will defer to those folks who have seen the guy play a lot and understand what they saw. Hoping he comes up big for the Bs and is a gem. The boys will need that.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Tuukka masked quite a bit of the deficiencies of the D last season. Ullmark will need to do the same this season. I just hope he can do it as well as Rask. Yeah, I know that he played for Buffalo. Different team, different system, different kind of pressure, different set of deficiencies. Like some other posters, I am not going to jump in elation over this signing. On the surface the contract seems a bit risky and an overpay, but I will defer to those folks who have seen the guy play a lot and understand what they saw. Hoping he comes up big for the Bs and is a gem. The boys will need that.
You do realise Rask only played in 24 games this season. What about the other 32 games he didn’t play in that they played well.

Reactions: Mpasta and DBL84

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Nothing is certain. Either goalie may struggle or both may be excellent.

All things considered I like the Bs goalie situation . The Bs are in a better spot than many other NHL teams IMO.

Time will tell.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Some people on the main boards seem to think we massively overpaid.

And how many of them have watched him play ? Sabre fans speak quite highly of him from what I have seen. The signing of Ullmark and subsequent trading of Vladar was a great piece of work by Sweeney. We no longer have to deal with relying on Rask to come back and it opened a spot for Swayman, Bruins are now much younger and possibly as good as the Rask-Halak combination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad