Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Rick Nash for Spooner, Lindgren (rights) 2018 first, 2019 7th and Beleskey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Interesting guy to stick next to Krejci. I mean what other big guy thats better could we realistically get?

But he isn't good enough right now to justify the price tag. And we didn't get rid of all of Beleskey's cap hit. If we just kept Beleskey the return is probably Spooner and a 2nd for Nash. But insisting on Beleskey going back meant that we had to cough up Lindgren (a 2nd round pick playing very well and my favorite of the LD prospects) and the 2nd became a 1st. And they only took on half his cap hit. So I'm pretty frustrated Sweeney got raked over the coals just to free up 1.6 mil for 2 years. Return is way too big.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
At the beginning of the year I think most here would have dealt Spooner + Half of Beleskey for a 7th (I know we gave up the 7th, just speaking hypothetically). Sweeney leveraged Spooner's best stretch of hockey to date into a very clear and very significant upgrade, IMO. Since this is Hockey's Future and some people care mostly about the draft and prospects it seems, Lindgren is a good prospect, but we are loaded with LHD prospects something had to give there. And Nash is the exact kind of player that you have to give up a first for, because he increases the odds that an early to mid 20's 1st rounder becomes pick 31. The cupboard is still pretty full and the team just improved its roster heading into the playoffs. Hard win for me.

Reactions: Strafer

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
Posted these thoughts on the main board thread, figured I'd throw it here too:
-getting rid of Beleskey's contract, even 50%, is nice. More money down the road with all the kids to sign
-Spooner has the highest O-zone start in the league, lots of PP1 time...he's had sheltered minutes and while his offensive game is top 6, he's a liability defensively. I'm not gonna knock him, he's played well this season, but Cassidy used him a certain way and it's because he didn't trust him in the D zone. Now the team is more balanced.
-Nash's primary point rate at 5v5 the last two seasons is tied with Kessel and Tavares. His line mates haven't exactly been the best and he's gotten limited PP2 run. I'm betting he's got enough left in the tank to be a real threat down the stretch here.
-Krejci gets his power forward, goal-scoring winger. He's is at his best when he can control the O zone with the puck and dish to a finisher in front of the net. That's what Nash will be asked to do.

I think it's a good trade and shores up one of the few holes this team had. If this allows the Krejci line to maybe look a bit like it did when Lucic was here then this is a huge win, imo, because this'd be such a dangerous team with two first lines.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Excited to see what he will do next to Bergy, Marchand, Pasta, Krejci, Backes, Heinen and DeBrusk.

Very skilled and deep F group.

Always liked Nash game. Powerful goal scoring winger with soft hands and a two way game.

Bruins improved a lot with this trade. That’s a top contender deadline deal.

Enjoy Bruins fans.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Btw does anyone remember who immediately **** his pants and was a healthy scratch in the playoffs vs Ottawa because when the big boys started hitting, his nuts recessed into his body?

I remember who that was...

Hes from Ottawa too and got scratched.

But Spooners terrible play happened prior to the playoffs. Each of the previous 3 years the guy has stopped playing hockey in March. He did it the 2 years we choked our way out of guaranteed playoff spots with those collapses being as bad as anyone on the team down the stretch. And last year when the team didn't collapse in March Spooner still did and was clearly not someone Cassidy wanted on the ice in the postseason.

Its OK that we aren't going to find out of the 4th time is the charm. Dude is a legitimate offensive option good enough to put up points in NY and make us look bad but I won't miss him.

Reactions: Strafer

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I'd hope a guy who's made almost $90 million in his career is more focused on winning a cup at this point than trying get every dollar he thinks he's worth in his next contract. I look back at Iginla signing for 3 years at $5 million per with Colorado, and I still have no idea what he was thinking. However, for Nash, it really depends on whether he wants to win a cup or make as much money as he possibly can.

Personally, I wouldn't be in favor of re-signing Nash unless he has an unbelievable end to the season. I'd rather give that spot to one of the young guys.

If Nash shows he fits in, I definitely try to extend him at Eric Staal money 12M/3y.

Next year:

Marchand-Isagod-Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Nash
Heinen-Donato-Backes
Bjork-JFK-Kuraly

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Interesting guy to stick next to Krejci. I mean what other big guy thats better could we realistically get?

But he isn't good enough right now to justify the price tag. And we didn't get rid of all of Beleskey's cap hit. If we just kept Beleskey the return is probably Spooner and a 2nd for Nash. But insisting on Beleskey going back meant that we had to cough up Lindgren (a 2nd round pick playing very well and my favorite of the LD prospects) and the 2nd became a 1st. And they only took on half his cap hit. So I'm pretty frustrated Sweeney got raked over the coals just to free up 1.6 mil for 2 years. Return is way too big.

It wasn’t just about the cap hit though. Teams have a limited number of contracts and it freed up a contract.

I do think there were more pieces because of the Beleskey portion but I have no objection to getting out of the contract.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
If Nash shows he fits in, I definitely try to extend him at Eric Staal money 12M/3y.

Next year:

Marchand-Isagod-Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Nash
Heinen-Donato-Backes
Bjork-JFK-Kuraly
Welp, I now have an erection.

I love this team and love how Nash SHOULD slot in. We'll see how it works in actuality, I worry about Nash's tenacity when it gets to playoff time, but if he buys into this squad and gels with Krejci the way I think he will this team can be something special, and the potential for the next few years really hasn't changed at all based on this deal, in fact they just freed up a little extra cash to start sewing up some of these kids.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
a ton? not really, IMO. the 1st/lindgren is cost of a high-end rental. i'd peg lindgren's value at about a 2nd round pick.
hanzal got a 1st/2nd last year and nash is better. so it costs you spooner/7th to be rid of half of beleskey's deal.
saves them about 1 million on the beleskey side, considering they already buried 1M this year.
I think it's a lot Nugs.

Spooner is a top6 forward scoring at 50+ pace (more than Nash).
1st round pick.
Lindgren is a really good D prospect.

I'm not complaining because I think the Bruins were dealing from strength and they're all things the Bruins were comfortable giving up, but Grabner is on pace for 30+ goals and he was dealt for a 2nd and a really good D prospect.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I like it. Bold move by Sweeney, which of course he's getting criticized for, probably by the same people who would have criticized him for doing nothing. Yes, maybe a bit of an overpayment for a rental, but that's how it goes at the TDL when you're bidding to upgrade your team. He's going for it.

I like how everyone realizes Nash isn't in his prime. Wow, really? He's still an effective power forward, though. He actually skates well, is hard to move from the front of the net, has good hands, and he can score. He's 33, not 40. Mark Recchi wasn't in his prime either when he took up 2nd line RW duties.

Replacing Spooner with Nash is just what we needed for a Cup run. It doesn't guarantee anything (nothing does), but it gives the Bruins a much better top 6 for the playoffs. I think Debrusk - Krejci - Nash will be very good together, giving us the secondary scoring threat we needed.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I think it's a lot Nugs.

1st round pick.

I'm not complaining because I think the Bruins were dealing from strength and they're all things the Bruins were comfortable giving up, but Grabner is on pace for 30+ goals and he was dealt for a 2nd and a really good D prospect.

Nash is a better hockey player than Grabner.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Just got in and heard the news! Big, ballsy move, man. I hope it's worth it.

I figured sooner or later Spooner would be gone, even if I hoped he'd stay. Krejci needs some better hands on his wings, so having Nash theoretically should help. Hopefully

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
not sure how to feel about this...willing to see how Nash does but...eh.

Is there any possibility of Nash resigning here? like I wonder what his next contract looks like.

Like lets imagine he comes in and just fits like a glove, looks amazing...is there a way we could fit him under the cap? Would we have to move Mcquaid...Miller? like salary would have to be going out right? I havent paid much attention to our Cap situation.

Anyway...just seems like a lot to give up for where Nash is at this point in his career. Hope it pays off.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
What a great trade. I posted on the main boards but essentially it's like Spooner (who I think we would have let walk due to a big pay raise) , Lindgren and a 7th for Nash.

Belesky gone at the cost of a first which I was ready for. Can't believe Sweeny got rid of that bum!

If we get 20g-30a point pace from Nash I'm estatic with that outcome

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
not sure how to feel about this...willing to see how Nash does but...eh.

Is there any possibility of Nash resigning here? like I wonder what his next contract looks like.

Like lets imagine he comes in and just fits like a glove, looks amazing...is there a way we could fit him under the cap? Would we have to move Mcquaid...Miller? like salary would have to be going out right? I havent paid much attention to our Cap situation.

Anyway...just seems like a lot to give up for where Nash is at this point in his career. Hope it pays off.

I would hope a one year prove it contract

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think it's a lot Nugs.

1st round pick.

You're basically paying the name brand price for Nash. I guess my question for you is, what do you think the package they gave up should have got them? That's really what it comes down to. Could you have gotten something better for what you paid? I think they probably could, but I'm not listening in on any negotiations. Besides the Brassard trade, it seems like prices have been high this deadline. You can either choose to meet them or gamble that you have enough to win as is.

Personally, I think the year to go for it would be next year when your young guys have some experience, but who knows if that would be too late? Chara, Bergeron, and Krejci aren't getting any younger and do you want to miss your chance at another cup?

Crash Bandicoot

Sobriety isn't for wimps.
Feb 25, 2016
"
Who won the trade?

It is always the inevitable question. Guess what? They both did. New York is continuing to retool while Boston is going for a deep run in the playoffs. Nash does slow them down a bit and must improve his actual production to make this trade worth it. He can but he can also vanish. That is the risk.
Thanks to Micah McCurdy, we have this visual here which shows a little more on Nash and Spooner currently.
Spooner can mesh will the top six in New York and has real potential to thrive with more utilization. Stay tuned!

NHL Trade Analysis: Rick Nash Shipping Up To Boston

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Some folks looking at it the wrong way

New York asked for DeBrusk, Donato, Frederic, and Senyshyn before they asked for Lindgren

Lindgren and a 1st almost gets you Nash, but they wanted a little more, offering Spooner gives them a roster player (and a relatively young one at that) they wanted in DeBrusk but it also made the Bruins turn around and say ok but you're taking some of Beleskey back if we add spooner (Sweeney knowing he's not in the plan going forward but Gorton can't know for sure, so it made it easier for Sweeney but he also knows spooner has value)

It ends up being a good deal for both teams IMO

Best case scenario, spooner gets back to center and still scores 50-60 points, Lindgren pals out and they make good selections. Nash scores for the Bruins and they make a run. Don't see how either side could hate that.

Reactions: Silva

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
"
Who won the trade?

It is always the inevitable question. Guess what? They both did. New York is continuing to retool while Boston is going for a deep run in the playoffs. Nash does slow them down a bit and must improve his actual production to make this trade worth it. He can but he can also vanish. That is the risk.
Thanks to Micah McCurdy, we have this visual here which shows a little more on Nash and Spooner currently.
Spooner can mesh will the top six in New York and has real potential to thrive with more utilization. Stay tuned!

NHL Trade Analysis: Rick Nash Shipping Up To Boston
Spooner will outscore Krejci as early as next season, but we'll still be complaining about Krejci's wingers not compensating for Krejci. And Rick Nash will be gone.

Hopefully we've won the cup by then.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I haven't been on all day, and I haven't read through any of these threads to see what the prevailing opinion is, but my gut reaction to hearing that we dealt Spooner (who I didn't even like that much) plus all those picks for a past his prime rental in Nash and signed f***ing Brian Gionta is that Don Sweeney is a complete fool.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
So the Bruins get a 33 year old UFA Rick Nash ( 50% retained)who has declined over the years and presently has 18 goals and 10 assists for 28 points and who is -8 for:

1st rd pick in 2018 (late 1st)
7th rd pick in 2019
Ryan Spooner ( 2nd rd pick in 2010) 9 goals and 16 assists for 25 points ans is a +10
Ryan Lindgren ( 2nd rd pick in 2016)
Matt Beleskey ( 50%) retained

Yikes.

Rangers got fleeced. Nothing of value except the 1st. 5 nickels for a quarter.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
It wasn’t just about the cap hit though. Teams have a limited number of contracts and it freed up a contract.

I do think there were more pieces because of the Beleskey portion but I have no objection to getting out of the contract.

Yeah.

There is no downside to moving on from Beleskey. Lindgren and our 1st hurts they better feel good about Lauzen and Zboril.

Trades not that bad you sort of had to give our highest paid player DK another big time winger he hasn't had one in a while.

Rick Nash is a big dude from first look at him in a Bruins sweater.

Deal isn't perfect though. And if he plays well hes young enough that there will be a 6 mil per contract out there for him and he won't resign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad