Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Rick Nash for Spooner, Lindgren (rights) 2018 first, 2019 7th and Beleskey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
was it an overpayment? yeah ...are all deadline deals overpayments? yeah

I dont like losing this year's version of Spooner, but overall would rather lose him than one of the top prospects. The 1st is looking worse and worse, and frankly getting rid of Beleskey makes up for it.

there have been waaaaay dumber deals made by teams at the deadline in recent memory.

Reactions: Thrive

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Kalman: Why It Was Worth It For Bruins GM Sweeney To Pay Steep Price For Rick Nash

Rick Nash is 33-years-old and the Bruins paid a steep price to acquire him Sunday.
That’s not a reason to grind your teeth and bang your head against the wall; it’s a reason to celebrate.
By soaring into the top six in the NHL overall standings, the Bruins have skipped a step or two in their reboot. What should have been another bridge year has become a golden opportunity to at least reach the League final four. So general manager Don Sweeney decided to do what GMs in his position have done since the creation of the trade deadline: he decided to go for it.

Rather than lamenting the price Sweeney paid for a rental and worrying that the Bruins won’t have enough organizational depth when we’re all flying around in Jetsons cars, fans should be thanking Sweeney. The GM is rewarding their emotional and monetary investment in this team by mortgaging a small piece of the Bruins’ future for a legitimate shot on this year’s Stanley Cup.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
As a Rangers fan I`m happy that Nash get the chance to win the cup elsewhere like Boston, because he don`t fit that sniper role since 2014 in NY.

Reactions: BMC

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
was it an overpayment? yeah ...are all deadline deals overpayments? yeah

I dont like losing this year's version of Spooner, but overall would rather lose him than one of the top prospects. The 1st is looking worse and worse, and frankly getting rid of Beleskey makes up for it.

there have been waaaaay dumber deals made by teams at the deadline in recent memory.

It's good to put things in perspective like this, but if the market was really steep then they had the option to step back, right? It's not like they had to make a move. The cost doesn't really match the benefit for some of us. Heck, look at some of the names that have gone in the late 1st the past few years.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
It's good to put things in perspective like this, but if the market was really steep then they had the option to step back, right? It's not like they had to make a move. The cost doesn't really match the benefit for some of us. Heck, look at some of the names that have gone in the late 1st the past few years.

Perhaps the advancing age of our star core players upped the urgency for Sweeney.

Off topic: NUhockey, I'm impressed at how your Huskies have put the hammer down after the Beanpot win. Taking care of business in the HE quarterfinals should just about nail down an NCAA bid.

Reactions: NUhockey

Bauer3000

Oct 19, 2006
Perhaps the advancing age of our star core players upped the urgency for Sweeney.

Off topic: NUhockey, I'm impressed at how your Huskies have put the hammer down after the Beanpot win. Taking care of business in the HE quarterfinals should just about nail down an NCAA bid.
Question for those that might know...does this deal have positive cap implications for next year and what they might be?

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Just remember when we acquired Recchi and how everyone felt he was done, but he wasn't.

Nash could be the same...if not more.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If Nash fits and signs a deal with the Bruins, it's a good deal for both sides.

When I heard the rumours of getting Nash I thought 2 things.

#1 What's the cost? I don't want a JB type deal that killed the mojo of the team
#2 The thought of him playing with DK made me giddy like a school girl.

I'm happy with the deal and will be ecstatic if he re-signs.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
this trade is looking better and better for donny.. hartman goes for a 1st and a prospect. statsny goes for a legit top 6 prospect and a 1st.. prices are high so far... still wish we didnt have to get rid of lindgren. sorry if this posted a bunch of times. servers are a little overrun so it seems

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
As it stands right now, the B's are a stronger team. Sweeney made a move to win now. I don't think losing Spooner or Lindgren will backfire on us as I've never seen them as future stars. The 1st round pick is really the heftiest price we paid in this deal. But for a GM who has been criticized for making lame trades in the past, the more I look at the deal, the more I'm feeling he got a fair value, given the market, and he has actually made a move that propels this team to being better. Hopefully this pays off for our Bruins, for the rest of the season, and the most important part, the postseason!

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Bruins getting a lot of hate and snarky comments about the Nash deal.

I hope Rick Nash and the Bruins as a whole shut everyone up in the playoffs. I personally think it is a great deal. We just upgraded from Ryan Spooner to Rick Nash. It blows my mind seeing people on the NYR and Leafs boards saying that Spooner > Nash.

Hope Nash gets a fire under his ass and puts up some serious points for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

lester

Feb 26, 2018
I never liked the trade from the beginning but seeing how cheap Kane went today, basically and 2nd rounder and a 4th, wow did we get screwed on this trade. The rangers are still rolling on the ground laughing

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Of all the guys traded for a 1st + prospect I think Nash has the most game breaking potential. His shot and size can turn a game, and we really needed a guy like that who's not on our 1st line.

If he can get Krejci going it'll be really hard to stop our offense. It's already hard enough.

Reactions: Thrive

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Question for those that might know...does this deal have positive cap implications for next year and what they might be?

Nash is a free agent at the end of the season. I think long term the Bruins would rather have the cap space to sign some of the young core that will be RFAs in the next couple years.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Bruins acquired Rick Nash and didn't give up Carlo, Heinen or DeBrusk, I'm happy with that.

If you look at it as a two-part trade, it doesn't seem as steep. Spooner + late 1st seems about right for Nash, and I'm ok with the B's giving up Lindgren and a 7th for taking enough of Beleskey's contract to make the first part work.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I never liked the trade from the beginning but seeing how cheap Kane went today, basically and 2nd rounder and a 4th, wow did we get screwed on this trade. The rangers are still rolling on the ground laughing
Dude, get a new name and do some research. Don’t compare Kane to Nash. The trade was apples and oranges.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
The Nash deal wasn’t just about Nash - it was also about getting rid of Beleskey and likely knowing what Spooner was going to ask for in UFA this summer (e.g. knowing that they weren’t going to pay him and would thus lose him for peanuts).

For what it’s worth, San Jose’s 2nd dealt for Kane turns into a 1st rounder if he re-signs with the Sharks. He’s also had issues in the locker room and off the ice in the past. Not exactly the type of character I’d like in the room in the playoffs, among the kids, or when the going gets tough.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Bruins getting a lot of hate and snarky comments about the Nash deal.

I hope Rick Nash and the Bruins as a whole shut everyone up in the playoffs. I personally think it is a great deal. We just upgraded from Ryan Spooner to Rick Nash. It blows my mind seeing people on the NYR and Leafs boards saying that Spooner > Nash.

Hope Nash gets a fire under his ass and puts up some serious points for the remainder of the season and playoffs.
Don’t worry. Tampa bay has all the pressure now. Toronto fans just trolling. It’s been a while for them. Wait till they give Spooner a few weeks to show his real game. NY fans will start to roast him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->