Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Rick Nash for Spooner, Lindgren (rights) 2018 first, 2019 7th and Beleskey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I think that's a silly question. IMO, just about every seller "wins" at the trade deadline. The one exception is the team that wins the Cup. But GM's know that going in. They know they're making a move they wouldn't make at any other time of year. It is what it is and you hope for the best.

Not true. You can still be a contender team and « win at the trade deadline » even if you don’t win the Cup.

Recchi
Seidenberg
Jagr
Etc

If you extend the player or make a long run, it’s worth the price. Especially with Recchi winning later on.

Reactions: PlayMakers

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think it's a lot Nugs.

Spooner is a top6 forward scoring at 50+ pace (more than Nash).
1st round pick.
Lindgren is a really good D prospect.

I'm not complaining because I think the Bruins were dealing from strength and they're all things the Bruins were comfortable giving up, but Grabner is on pace for 30+ goals and he was dealt for a 2nd and a really good D prospect.

Except he's only going to play 59 games max this year, so we are looking at around 37 points.

Last year, Hanzal, who is comparable to Nash (little younger and a C), got a 1 and a 2. Lindgren was a 2nd round pick, so that puts the value about the same. So, that means you gave up Spooner and a 7th to get rid of Beleskey and half his salary.

I don't like giving assets away, but:

The B's are stacked at the LD position.

Spooner was obviously not in their plans going forward. He's an RFA, is going to get some money, and in the B's minds they have an ample number of replacements on the way.

Is it a lot? Guess that depends on how you look at it, but I wouldn't say it was too much by any stretch.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Except he's only going to play 59 games max this year, so we are looking at around 37 points.

Last year, Hanzal, who is comparable to Nash (little younger and a C), got a 1 and a 2. Lindgren was a 2nd round pick, so that puts the value about the same. So, that means you gave up Spooner and a 7th to get rid of Beleskey and half his salary.

I don't like giving assets away, but:

The B's are stacked at the LD position.

Spooner was obviously not in their plans going forward. He's an RFA, is going to get some money, and in the B's minds they have an ample number of replacements on the way.

Is it a lot? Guess that depends on how you look at it, but I wouldn't say it was too much by any stretch.
I do expect Nash to make a positive difference at that price though.

Anything less fairly unacceptable as a fan.

Personally, I think we've had to defend Sweeney's moves to our own fan base, it's concerning, but maybe this is the year it pays off.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I like it.

Initially I was sore because of the inclusion of the 1st...but, really...we’re running out of room at the inn when it comes to prospects. A first is valuable so I wish it was for more than a rental, but add in the fact that Sweeney retained the DeBrusks of the team, and I think that improves the deal.

Plus, Jack is already wicked excited about Nash’s reach, so if he doesn’t re-sign, at least we won’t have to listen to him go on about that past this season.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I liked the deal when I thought Nash had another year left on his deal. On a pure rental basis I don’t like the price. If the Holden deal wasn’t separate and he was just part of this deal without the pieces we gave up for him I’d be happy with the deal

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
As far as prospects go, I’ve always really liked Lindgren dating back to the U-18 tourney where he was the captain and for my money the best player on the ice for team USA shift after shift. I would have preferred lauzon personally. I probably would have rated the lhd prospects
Zboril
Lindgren
Vaak
Johansson
Lauzon

So I was pretty high on Lindgren (although I know basically nothing of UV besides what I’ve read...sounds like arneson). Still though, I’m saying that, I’ve always really liked Nash’s game and felt he would always fit in really well with krejci. So it’s a tough price to pay but I believe this team is a real contender now and you sacrifice some future depth for a shot everytime

Camille the Eel

Devils fan who lives in Maine six months a year, and who was at the Garden for the Orr years and later, and who follows the B's closely and roots for them largely weighing in here.

My biggest worry is that we (you) abandoned what got you here to rent Nash. I really feel that the kids are what's powered Boston this year. All other things being what they are (Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Pasternak), you defied all conventional wisdom by going with a huge group of rookies, whose legs and spirit, pure energy has powered the team all year long.

Yes the playoffs are coming. But I'd have stuck with the core group and the youth. As big and productive as Nash has been (although he's never produced in the playoffs), I'd have left the locker room pretty much in tact. You're going to outskate the opposition on the way to a cup or not. I fear Nash ain't helping.

That said, Go Bruins. There's a deep postseason run in this team.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
By acquiring Rick Nash, the Bruins remade their No. 2 line - The Boston Globe

Every year, all teams but one that invest in the trade deadline market end up regretting the price they paid for their short-term acquisition.
Don Sweeney took a big step toward reinforcing his team as this year’s exception.
Injuries, bad luck, and poor play can make a season shorter than expected. Amid such variables, a general manager’s job is to put his team in the best position to lift the Stanley Cup.
On Sunday, Sweeney did just that.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Devils fan who lives in Maine six months a year, and who was at the Garden for the Orr years and later, and who follows the B's closely and roots for them largely weighing in here.

My biggest worry is that we (you) abandoned what got you here to rent Nash. I really feel that the kids are what's powered Boston this year. All other things being what they are (Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Pasternak), you defied all conventional wisdom by going with a huge group of rookies, whose legs and spirit, pure energy has powered the team all year long.

Yes the playoffs are coming. But I'd have stuck with the core group and the youth. As big and productive as Nash has been (although he's never produced in the playoffs), I'd have left the locker room pretty much in tact. You're going to outskate the opposition on the way to a cup or not. I fear Nash ain't helping.

Spooner didn’t get the Bruins here. The youth movement has, but Spooner hasn’t really been a solid part of that. I think Sweeney did show that he was sticking sith kids in his refusal to move DeBrusk.

The locker room is in tact. Spooner wasn’t really a core guy. I’m a little confused by your assessment of Spooner’s impact on the team to date.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I hear what youre saying but the room wasnt really impacted as long as you realize all that left was Spooner. And frankly he was a non factor in the room as well as he doesnt fit. The other kids are or will be pushing him out.

I didnt like giving up the first for a rental. But the players that went were for me minimal factors.

Reactions: Thrive

Camille the Eel

Okay fair enough - I was going with gut, not really focusing on Spooner. (Who I do think has a good career in front of him in New York, but that's not really the point). (Plus the Bruins give up a first round pick - admittedly like 22d, but let's keep it to this year's playoffs).

So I suppose that, if I have to frame what's driving my gut feeling, it's that globally the Bruins with Nash are older and slower than they are when playing younger forwards already in the room. Every minute he plays is a minute somebody else doesn't. I like that younger, more energetic, aggressive look.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Okay fair enough - I was going with gut, not really focusing on Spooner. (Who I do think has a good career in front of him in New York, but that's not really the point). (Plus the Bruins give up a first round pick - admittedly like 22d, but let's keep it to this year's playoffs).

So I suppose that, if I have to frame what's driving my gut feeling, it's that globally the Bruins with Nash are older and slower than they are when playing younger forwards already in the room. Every minute he plays is a minute somebody else doesn't. I like that younger, more energetic, aggressive look.

Yup. But again the only difference is Spooner. Thats all they lost for the next month or two. No other youngster is effected and no other youngster has , at this time, top 6 skill that isnt already playing that role.
So literally everybody thats in the room, except Spooner, is playing.

Additionally, Spooner is 26 , so not a real youngster either. IMO.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

I might agree with you if Nash was blocking a youngster with a similar skill set and projected level of production for the stretch run, but he’s not.

There are some fair concerns re: the trade, but it having a negative affect on the development of the youth isnt one of them, IMO.

Camille the Eel

And a good thing is that Nash has been at his best with the Rangers attacking the net. He's looking for stretch passes and to counter attack and on the forecheck tough to handle, creating chaos in front of the other club's goal. His style of play can potentially fit well with Boston. Nor should he be hard to incorporate. He doesn't hog the puck and carry it in center ice much himself. He takes it and crashes the net in the offensive zone.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Every team goes through this .Toronto is so hot right but now you know a bad stretch is coming for them as well. .My concern with Bruins is not dogging the pucks enough ,to fancy and p.p gross.When a forward is battling vs 2 defenders and your 2nd guy in is late steady that points directly to paying attention and being lazy.Bruins need to clean up a few areas .SUPPORTING PUCK IS HUGE ALONG WALLS.Need to out number opposition more there.Anyways they will spin this around and I hope Toronto hits wall about same time.Home ice is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad