Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Rick Nash for Spooner, Lindgren (rights) 2018 first, 2019 7th and Beleskey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Although they didn't score against Buffalo the DeBrusk - Krejci - Nash line looked dangerous.

Nice upgrade to the top 6, with two scoring lines of high caliber that can defend.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
I believe that this trade was actually a 2-part trade:
1st round pick and 7th round pick for Rick Nash
Lindgren and Spooner to dump Belesky's salary onto the rangers

Considering the Bruins probably didn't want to pay Spooner next year, the salary dump should also count what Spooner would have earned in his next RFA contract arbitration award, probably upwards of at least 4m dollars.
Consider that Belesky costs 4m and we pay half of that. We basically save 6m in future cap dollars by getting rid of those 2 players.

Overall, it's not that bad a trade. Giving up a 1st round pick hurts, but if Nash solidifies that 2nd line as a legit top 6 right winger, we can be dangerous in the playoffs.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Nash is going to be a great fit with Krejci. Smart, big, great at possessing the puck and still moves around the ice extremely well. He makes our top 6 much better.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I haven't been on all day, and I haven't read through any of these threads to see what the prevailing opinion is, but my gut reaction to hearing that we dealt Spooner (who I didn't even like that much) plus all those picks for a past his prime rental in Nash and signed ****ing Brian Gionta is that Don Sweeney is a complete fool.

A bit harsh. But, I don't want Nash or Gionta.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I believe that this trade was actually a 2-part trade:
1st round pick and 7th round pick for Rick Nash
Lindgren and Spooner to dump Belesky's salary onto the rangers

Considering the Bruins probably didn't want to pay Spooner next year, the salary dump should also count what Spooner would have earned in his next RFA contract arbitration award, probably upwards of at least 4m dollars.
Consider that Belesky costs 4m and we pay half of that. We basically save 6m in future cap dollars by getting rid of those 2 players.

Overall, it's not that bad a trade. Giving up a 1st round pick hurts, but if Nash solidifies that 2nd line as a legit top 6 right winger, we can be dangerous in the playoffs.

Lindgren and Spooner to save 700k?

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
I like the Nash trade. That's a definitive upgrade on the 2nd line and even though I think Lindgren will be good eventually, that's a fair price to pay and it could've been way worse. That line looked good even though they didn't score. I know everyone is saying this, but he doesn't have to be "the guy" here. I'm expecting him to be really good, so we'll see.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Lindgren and Spooner to save 700k?

Ya this.

Most of the deal got Nash. A little bit got the Beleskey deal. The thing I wonder is if we could have flipped Spooner out west for picks first. But I guess the optics are bad if then you don't buy on a Nash.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Krejci line shoulda had a couple tonight, Pasta looked like ass and Marchand still playing tentative so the game slipped away from them before they had a chance to do much about it

I like what we have in the top 6 going forward with the addition of Nash but man oh man does Pasta need to step it up

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I like the trade. It was a market deal. A pick in the 26-31 range, Spooner was getting traded. Either now or in the off-season. He wasn’t coming back. Lindgren is a B level prospect. Seems like he has a shot at a serviceable NHL career. But he wasn’t A level if you ask me. And they got to unload Belesky. Of course, this guarantees them nothing in the playoffs. If the Bruins stpod Pat the same people who are ripping Sweeney for the deal would have been ripping him for not making the deal.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
Look.....I'm pretty happy with the trade. I though Nash looked pretty good for traveling today and not having a single practice under his belt with the team. He hasn't even grasped the system yet or built any familiarity with his team and line mates. I'm interested to see how he looks in a couple weeks after starting to develop a little chemistry with Debrusk and Krejci as well as once Krejci starts to learn tendencies of Nash

Nash has 4 less goals (18) than Pastrnak on the season for god sake.......and people are saying he is washed up? Is he Rick Nash from 2010...no!!!....but he's still a damn good player and will improve our team and be a weapon on the PP

Now, looking at what we gave up......Spooner is having his best year, but lets not act like he was a force out there and I guarantee you Nash will bury more chances than Spooner would bury. We shed half of Beleskey's salary (that's a plus)....we gave up a 1st round pick which should be around #25-29, not the end of the world. We gave up Lindgren, but we still have McAvoy, Carlo, Grzelcyk all i early 20's in the NHL and established. You have Zboril who has been playing really solid dependable hockey in Providence as the next young D who will get a look and start integrating next year and you also have Lauzon developing in Providence. Then there is Vaakanainnen in Finland who was a 1st round pick. It's not like losing Lindgren leaves us thin on quality young D-men.

You also pulled off this acquisition without effecting your forward prospect depth. You have Heinen and DeBrusk putting in excellent rookie campaigns in the NHL. You also have Bjork, Donato, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Senyshyn, Frederic as the next wave of forwards......that's 7 pretty high end forwards with serious value that you held on to.

I don't understand how anyone can be upset about this trade.....Lindgren will never be a McAvoy type asset/player and Spooner was not going to be resigned

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This contract was involved in a salary retained transaction. The remaining salary and caphit will be separated as shown:
  • : 50%
  • Boston Bruins: 50%
Buyout Details

SEASONSALARYINITIAL CAP HITACTUAL COSTSAVINGSBUYOUT CAP HIT
2018-19$4,000,000$3,800,000$1,166,667$2,833,333$966,667
2019-20$3,000,000$3,800,000$1,166,667$1,833,333$1,966,667
2020-21$0$0$1,166,667-$1,166,667$1,166,667
2021-22$0$0$1,166,667-$1,166,667$1,166,667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This contract was involved in a salary retained transaction. The remaining salary and caphit will be separated as shown:
  • : 50%
  • Boston Bruins: 50%
Buyout Details

SEASONSALARYINITIAL CAP HITACTUAL COSTSAVINGSBUYOUT CAP HIT
2018-19$4,000,000$3,800,000$1,166,667$2,833,333$966,667
2019-20$3,000,000$3,800,000$1,166,667$1,833,333$1,966,667
2020-21$0$0$1,166,667-$1,166,667$1,166,667
2021-22$0$0$1,166,667-$1,166,667$1,166,667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So if the Rangers buy-out Beleskey this summer, the Bruins will see a cap hit against them of:

2018-19 = 483,334

2019-20 = 983,334

2020-21 = 583,334

2021-22 = 583,334

Am I understanding this correctly?

Reactions: Thrive

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hope so. Because that would be outstanding.

I actually had no idea how it worked.

Since they changed the rules to allow teams to retain salary, has a player whose salary was split among two teams ever been bought out? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

But it would be great for the Bruins.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Look.....I'm pretty happy with the trade. I though Nash looked pretty good for traveling today and not having a single practice under his belt with the team. He hasn't even grasped the system yet or built any familiarity with his team and line mates. I'm interested to see how he looks in a couple weeks after starting to develop a little chemistry with Debrusk and Krejci as well as once Krejci starts to learn tendencies of Nash

Nash has 4 less goals (18) than Pastrnak on the season for god sake.......and people are saying he is washed up? Is he Rick Nash from 2010...no!!!....but he's still a damn good player and will improve our team and be a weapon on the PP

Now, looking at what we gave up......Spooner is having his best year, but lets not act like he was a force out there and I guarantee you Nash will bury more chances than Spooner would bury. We shed half of Beleskey's salary (that's a plus)....we gave up a 1st round pick which should be around #25-29, not the end of the world. We gave up Lindgren, but we still have McAvoy, Carlo, Grzelcyk all i early 20's in the NHL and established. You have Zboril who has been playing really solid dependable hockey in Providence as the next young D who will get a look and start integrating next year and you also have Lauzon developing in Providence. Then there is Vaakanainnen in Finland who was a 1st round pick. It's not like losing Lindgren leaves us thin on quality young D-men.

You also pulled off this acquisition without effecting your forward prospect depth. You have Heinen and DeBrusk putting in excellent rookie campaigns in the NHL. You also have Bjork, Donato, Forsbacka-Karlsson, Senyshyn, Frederic as the next wave of forwards......that's 7 pretty high end forwards with serious value that you held on to.

I don't understand how anyone can be upset about this trade.....Lindgren will never be a McAvoy type asset/player and Spooner was not going to be resigned

Agree with all of this wholeheartedly.

I would also add that going out and getting a big fish like Nash signals to your club that you have a strong belief in their abilities and as such are rewarding them for their strong play up to this point with a reinforcement that has the ability to propel them deep this year. This is not a half measure. This is a show of belief in their ability to accomplish their goals. That’s got to count for something in the room.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Sports_Feb262018.jpg

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Yes, according to Capfriendly, that’s exactly how it would break down.
I like this deal even more if the buyout was discussed between Sweeney and Gorton as part of the trade. that really isn't an awful amount to have to eat in two years when a number of the current ELC's expire.

Reactions: Thrive and Fopppa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad