Confirmed with Link: Bruins Acquire Rick Nash for Spooner, Lindgren (rights) 2018 first, 2019 7th and Beleskey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I’d feel better about this trade if the Bruins weren’t left with a weaker third line as a result. I love the way Riley Nash has been playing this year but I don’t think he’s the kind of guy you want getting 3rd line mins in the playoffs.

Aaannnd as I type this it looks as though Brian Gionta is the guy the bruins think will fill that hole.
They won the Cup in 2011 with Kelly as their 3rd line center, Riley is a solid fit. I like that Backes is available to play center if needed at 3C

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I like the way you put it but I still would of liked to see all of Beleskey contract gone. Although I think its pretty hard for a team like the Rangers to add anyone's existing contract as they're a team who'll need all the Cap-room they can get.
Would you give Donato in the deal in place of Lindgren? Presumably they may have ate more with a better return. Cost benefit, Sweeney thinks he has the cap he needs next year to keep his A+ prospects?

All speculation but that is how I digest it.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Welcome aboard Nash! Gota say I was like skeptical at first but I’m really starting to like the deal. Would I have liked for them to retain all of Beleksey? Sure but still good getting half of that contract out of here.

Spooner and Lindgren were obviously expendable and I love that Sweeney identified a need a swung.

Nash has made a lot of money in his career...if he sticks I would love to resign him for a couple years too. With his versatility you can plug him anywhere in the lineup.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Lindgren + 1st is a deal I can live with. Bruins are loaded with LHD prospects. But I hate the fact that they traded Spooner AND had to retain salary on Beleskey
Spooner wasn’t getting resigned. As roster players go, he was expendable. He is also currently playing in the spot Nash will likely fill.

Retaining 50% on Beleskey wasn’t ideal but better than the whole thing and his contract counting against the contract limit.

Beleskey has no future in Boston but sucked up cap and a contract.

I like the trade. I’m not convinced Nash is the answer but I think Nash may fit Krecji better than Spooner.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Welcome aboard Nash! Gota say I was like skeptical at first but I’m really starting to like the deal. Would I have liked for them to retain all of Beleksey? Sure but still good getting half of that contract out of here.

Spooner and Lindgren were obviously expendable and I love that Sweeney identified a need a swung.

Nash has made a lot of money in his career...if he sticks I would love to resign him for a couple years too. With his versatility you can plug him anywhere in the lineup.

That's what I'm hoping and why I really wanted them to get him. You can put him on either wing from the 1st to 4th line. And if it works out for the Bruins and Nash - you look at getting him on a new, affordable, contract.

When I've seen The Rangers this year, Nash is one of the few players they has that showed up every time. I think he still has a lot of hockey left in him.

Reactions: Bruin1970

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
Don't like giving up the 1st and thought the B's needed more help on the blue line. Seems like if they're going for it this year, they need to get a top 4 D still.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
too much. should have been one two of Spooner/1st/Lindgren. Hell I'm pretty sure Spooner is on a better ppg than Nash.

The fact we didn't even lose all of Beleskey's contract is really stupid.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Don't think for one second that beating they took last night didn't push DS. He had to know this team is not good enough for a long run.

Don't let that score fool us, we looked like we didn't belong on the same ice as that team last night
Just like the Leafs didn’t look like they belonged on the same ice as the Bruins when they were in Boston last time . The Bruins had an off night , it happens . The Leafs will be a very strong first round opponent but the Bruins can beat them .

Reactions: LSCII

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Leave it to some Leafs fans to rip on the Nash trade 3 seconds after it happened only to over-hype the Plekanec trade as if it automatically gives them a cup.

I think the Nash trade is a good deal for both teams. I like Spooner but figure he's the odd one out here.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Possibly an underrated part of this deal. This gives us a switch blade on the RW. With two soft players on that side particularly in the top six, it is tough to isolate Pastrnak when they grind on him. Now with more flexibility you can move guys around and protect Patrnak if necessary while not losing much offense.

Bruin1970

Feb 23, 2018
too much. should have been one two of Spooner/1st/Lindgren. Hell I'm pretty sure Spooner is on a better ppg than Nash.

The fact we didn't even lose all of Beleskey's contract is really stupid.

This is laughable. A 33 year old Nash is still twice as good as spooner. Let’s stop now.

Reactions: RedeyeRocketeer

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
This is laughable. A 33 year old Nash is still twice as good as spooner. Let’s stop now.

I didn't say Spooner was better than him but Spooner also has 3 less points in 20 less games this season.

I just feel like Spooner was a throw in and made it an overpayment. If the Rags flip him I don't think it's going to look good for us.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Who the f*** cares what the rags do with spooner?

The fact is spooner at one time looked like he might play his way into obscurity but through hard work both by him and the Bruins he bacame a viable asset, both on ice and through a trade, kudos to him and management for making that possible, what the rangers do with him is irrelevant. Word has it they liked spooner a lot and it was enough to keep them from asking for one of our prized forward prospects

Reactions: Strafer and patty59

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
That's quite the price for a sub 0.5 PPG forward who doesn't perform well in the playoffs.

But, Nash does have the ability to strengthen the second line. Sweeney is clearly "all in", and I have to respect that.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I'm torn.... I suggested yesterday in the trade deadline thread Spooner, 1st rounder, and Zboril for a top 6 younger or similar age to Spooner with a similar contract situation (under control) and received some backlash for paying too high a price. I think we can all agree that we would probably rather have what I proposed then Rick Nash. I was okay moving those pieces to get something back for the now and for the future so not really thrilled with getting a rental for that price. Getting rid of 2MIL of Beleskey is certainly nothing to sneeze at however and puts me on the fence. If it was his entire salary I would love this move. Right now I'm in a wait and see mode.

The Gionta signing gets two enthusiastic thumbs down however.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->