Rumor: Brian Flynn in contract talks with Canadiens

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
13th forward. If he comes in at the same 650k again, I'd be okay with it. If someone steals the job in camp, waive him. If he gets picked up, so be it.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
While teams like CHI and the NYR are trying to get Reilly we are working hard to get Brian Flynn re-signed. Great stuff.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
While teams like CHI and the NYR are trying to get Reilly we are working hard to get Brian Flynn re-signed. Great stuff.

Because it would be unfathomable for a GM to work on more than one case at once.

Plus, NYR are out of the race for Reilly.

Get over yourself :laugh:. People are really whining for trying to bring back a relatively young depth player that has produced at a 20 points pace over his career for cheap? Jeez. This will be one long off-season.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Woah now, hold on there. I think everyone needs to take a deep breath in here.

Let em be, i dont see the point in arguing anymore. I believe in what Bergevin's doing. When he brings us a cup, and i KNOW he will, i'll be having the time of my life digging up these posts.

Psycorp77

Oct 4, 2014
This depth will come handy, the team will make at least one trade probably during the draft. Even if Bergevin stands pat (wich I don't think he will), we were very lucky to have so few injuries last year.

HabsDieHard*

If signing Bryan Flynn means that De la Rose won't be forced into playing in a role he isn't ready for next season I'm all for it.

But once again, barring big changes, it looks like this teams' bottom 6 outside of Eller is going to have a very tough time creating any offence.

Which is troubling.

So I understand some peoples' concerns about signing Flynn, but also I do recognize the value of having NHL depth and not rushing guys.

Thing is though...he didn't even get in the line up in the playoffs, so why will that change next year?

Let em be, i dont see the point in arguing anymore. I believe in what Bergevin's doing. When he brings us a cup, and i KNOW he will, i'll be having the time of my life digging up these posts.

His atttempts to improve the teams' forward scoring depth have been abysmal to date.

Concerns about his work are very warranted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Why are people surprised by this? He's a 13th forward. He may end up in Hamilton. He may get picked up on waivers by someone else. He did a decent job of adding some speed and energy in the lineup when he got in, he's versatile, and he's RH. He's going to earn $600k on a likely 2 way deal.

People are talking as if this means MB is more focused on locking up 4th liners then he is 1st liners. 1 does not rule the other out. It doesn't make it a priority and it doesn't steal money from an offensive player.

I really don't understand this board sometimes. Who ***** cares?

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I'd rather have Flynn as the 13th forward than Andrighetto or Hudon.

So, you'd rather Ghetto or Hudon NOT play and watch most games from the box instead of playing full-time in the AHL?

He IS a warm body. A Drewiske. Doesn't matter if he plays or not. That's the point. He's there to replaced the bottom 6 injuries, if a Top 6 guy gets hurt, then they'll call up a skill guy.

Under a million and I'm happy.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Why is this an issue? He's an RFA. We sign him. He can be traded if we don't need him. Letting an asset walk away for free is stupid.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Two things I don't like:
-The offseason isn't finished yet, but this points towards not leaving space open for a young player.
- I prefer Bournival in the role of 13th forward.

Two things I do like:
- Flynn has the potential to add a LITTLE bit of offence to the bottom-6.
- Bergevin is being proactive in signing the players he wants to keep around, he hasn't left anyone until the last minute.

t0ny

Apr 8, 2008
Thing is though...he didn't even get in the line up in the playoffs, so why will that change next year?

1 goal and two assists in six postseason games this year btw

Why is this an issue? He's an RFA. We sign him. He can be traded if we don't need him. Letting an asset walk away for free is stupid.

hehe it's an issue because we are on the habs board :laugh:

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Flynn's better than he showed in his brief stint here. I don't mind him as depth.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Habs trade a 5th round pick for Flynn, don't re-sign him and posters will cry that's poor asset management.

Habs trade a 5th round pick for Flynn and are likely to re-sign him to be the 13th forward to sit in the press box and posters will cry that's too much money or too long term of a contract or they need to let a prospect play etc...

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Man this is great news, I hope habs can sign even more 3 and 4th line plug grinders they have 9 for six positions now, but my hope and dream is that they can get 12 bottom six players. Imagine the grinding and depth

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Well, seeing as it's pretty much our only option, that or cheering for another team. To each their own.

Again, the same generic answer "If you don't like it cheer for another team". Realistically speaking, we've been hearing the same thing the same story year in and year out for the past who knows how long. When will it actually change?

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Habs trade a 5th round pick for Flynn, don't re-sign him and posters will cry that's poor asset management.

Habs trade a 5th round pick for Flynn and are likely to re-sign him to be the 13th forward to sit in the press box and posters will cry that's too much money or too long term of a contract or they need to let a prospect play etc...

Yeah, those prospects need their press box time you know! Who needs play time?

Flynn in the box is fine. He won't mind it and nobody should. This way, our actual prospects get to play full time in the AHL and not rot in the press box eating hot dogs. Flynn will chain eat Michigans all year long, and he'll be there if one of our bottom 6 gets hurt.

As long as he's making under 1M.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
Again, the same generic answer "If you don't like it cheer for another team". Realistically speaking, we've been hearing the same thing the same story year in and year out for the past who knows how long. When will it actually change?

I don't have the answer, the guys that does though, when he tries to tell people, they **** on hit for whatever effort he makes to do so. Its a catch 22 at this point, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad