Rumor: Brian Flynn in contract talks with Canadiens

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You've really said a whole lot of nothing here. Great GM, where's the picture, I'd love to take a look.

What does being bilingual have to do with anything, this part has confused me.

He worked for an organization that stunk for years, but eventually turned it around with good drafting, but he was never the guy in charge making decisions. Do you think all management is automatically awesome because they work in a successful org?

Great coaching/managing, now we know you're just blowing smoke. His choice fro NHL/AHL have been two of his worst decisions, although I couldn't care less about who coaches, it's hard to argue he went out and got the best here. Waite gets way too much credit for Carey Price, Carey was long on his way to becoming a consistent top 5 goalie year in and year out, without or without Waite.

He has made a significant move outside of Petry, which I like very much btw, but outside that, he's signed plug after plug and not much else.

This team was already a good team before he took over, he was gift-wrapped two buyouts to remove the existing deadweight and git-wrapped a 3rd overall pick to go along with it. His work has been very meh, certainly nothing great.
How do you inherit a 3rd overall pick from a GOOD team??
They had nice pieces in Price and Subban, but don't kid yourself, they were not a GOOD team.
All those core players they have were drafted in 2005 and 2007, it took at least 4-5yrs before they actually became good NHLer's, you gotta leave Bergevin at least that amount of time for the picks under his regime to contribute before passing judgement. Pacioretty, Price, Gallagher, Petry are all great contracts, at value you have Markov, Subban, Beaulieu. You have pretty much your entire core signed at value or greater, that's amazing. Emelin, Eller and DD are the only contracts in my opinion that are slightly above what they should be paid. I'd say that this a good body of work. And I can assure you you won't be dissapointed in the Galchenyuk contract either, Bergevin rarely makes a mistake when it comes to contracts.
Also, just in case you haven't figured this out, all NEW GM's in this league inherit good players and in the most part a good pick..(Chiarelli, new Leafs Gm)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Gallagher should be the ONLY undersized player on this team.

Have you been living under a rock? He already is the only undersized player on the team. Well, aside from Desharnais but he doesnt count. Bergevin got rid of all the smaller guys for 'grit' 'character' and size.

Everyone else is at least 5'11.

Pacioretty, Eller, Galchenyuk, Weise, DSP, De La Rose are all very tall. Prust is like only 5'11 but plays bigger than he is. Of course Plekanec is soft as butter but he is 5'11 too. I think Bournival is 6'0s, so is PAP. Flynn is actually pretty small, but I don't think he'll be back so. Yeah. Gallagher is the only small guy on the team.

Even on the D, no one is under 6'0 anymore now that Weaver and Bouillon are goners.

Like it or not if we don't count Desharnais the Habs likely have one of the best heigh average around the league, especially with Tinordi and Pateryn joining the team. Heck, even our starter is 6'3.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Come on.

We sign guys like Hensick and some other ahl vets that barely have nhl potential and there is no room for this guy. He could be useful for St John, he is also a big body. If he wants one way contract which I doubt than a guy like Prust who is a bit slowish and etc can sit a few games vs teams that don't have a '' tough guy '' . But he will want a two way

so Mr.Flynn is just fine

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I like that Bergevin seems to have the strategy of acquiring players at the deadline for lower prices than they would cost if they weren't rentals and then not just using them as rentals but resigning them. It's how we got Petry and Kovalev. Trading for top talent in the offseason is really costly.

I'm already looking forward to the deadline next year. Hopefully Bergevin can snag a top six forward under 32 and resign him after the 2016 playoffs.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Flynn is by no means a game changer. But the teams with good 4th lines are... the good teams. Some folks dismiss the idea that there even is such a thing as a promising fourth liner but I think that's misunderstanding how a team works. Prust has has an enormous impact on this team. He was brought in as an overpaid 4th liner. Thornton was a core player in Boston's winning culture. Flynn is probably a fringe player but he's RH, fast as hell and has a rep as a coach's kind of player. He's not exactly looking to break the bank.

MB didn't go get a UFA rental here, and he's already signed two of those. Maybe the scouts picked this guy for a reason.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't mind tinkering and perfecting the 4th line, but it is a perpetual thing in Montreal. We've been tinkering and perfecting the 4th line forever, consistently giving up a deluge of draft picks and I'm not sure if what we have now is better and/or cheaper than say, Chipchura, Moen, Lapierre, White, Moore, Armstrong, Bournival, etc.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
I don't mind tinkering and perfecting the 4th line, but it is a perpetual thing in Montreal. We've been tinkering and perfecting the 4th line forever, consistently giving up a deluge of draft picks and I'm not sure if what we have now is better and/or cheaper than say, Chipchura, Moen, Lapierre, White, Moore, Armstrong, Bournival, etc.

A deluge of draft picks, right.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Just think that it's better than the days with Yannick Weber and Bergeron on the 4th line.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Just think that it's better than the days with Yannick Weber and Bergeron on the 4th line.

I do not hate those either. Bergeron waa very helpful to the team and Weber was then a developing youngster who has made the NHL as a legitimate player. He averaged 17 minutes a game last year and played well.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Sure, but the point is that Bergevin is continuously tweaking our defense and 4th line, when it's pretty clear that scoring goals is our problem.

Heck, Therrien is asking that all our lines play like the 4th line. Get the puck out of the zone, dump and go for a change.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Brian Flynn is one of the few Montreal Canadiens in my life who I could not pick out of a lineup of faces

I picture him as a normal non descript basic human with a blurred out face

Please, Brian Flynn, play well if you're in town but my fingers are crossed that Bergevin isn't making this fella a priority

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's fast and he came up big in that game vs the Sens.

Let's give him at least a full year, he might just pull a Weise.

I agree, we gave up a Timmins special for him (5th round pick), no harm in bringing him back on the cheap and see how it goes. He was really good in the NCAA, it looks like he did well in the AHL and with the sabers only 8 players had more points then him and the stat that stood out to me was out of all his teammates that played in 10 or more games only 1 had a better plus minus then him. I don't know what impact he can have for us, but as a guy that likely could be spending a good bit of time in the press box I don't see the harm at all in bringing him back.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I agree, we gave up a Timmins special for him (5th round pick), no harm in bringing him back on the cheap and see how it goes. He was really good in the NCAA, it looks like he did well in the AHL and with the Sabres only 8 players had more points then him and the stat that stood out to me was out of all his teammates that played in 10 or more games only 1 had a better plus minus then him. I don't know what impact he can have for us, but as a guy that likely could be spending a good bit of time in the press box I don't see the harm at all in bringing him back.

Flynn is pure depth. The new Drewiske but playing forward.

Drewiske was traded for a 5th round pick too.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don't mind if we resign Flynn or not.

Our bottom 6 is pretty crowded however,

DLR-Eller-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Flynn/Weise

That's without a rookie ie: McCarron/Scherbak/Hudon cracking the line-up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad