Rumor: Brian Flynn in contract talks with Canadiens

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
I was also impressed with Bournival and Thomas last year in the bottom six. Our team look at its best and had the best record when they were in the lineup. Our team speed just wore teams down. For example, our record was 21-8 with Bournival, but just 12-11 with DSP.

I hope Bournival, Thomas, Ghetto and Hudon get legit shots next year.

He won't get signed until a week before training camp. The signing will finally come only after an infamous, grueling, and drawn out contract negotiation that sparks cries of conspiracy and controversy.

As per club policy of course.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I was also impressed with Bournival and Thomas last year in the bottom six. Our team look at its best and had the best record when they were in the lineup. Our team speed just wore teams down. For example, our record was 21-8 with Bournival, but just 12-11 with DSP.

I hope Bournival, Thomas, Ghetto and Hudon get legit shots next year.

In fairness, DSP wasn't the only pickup at the deadline. The whole team seemed to regress for the last 20 or so games.

But I too think we need to see much more of our youthful players and way fewer borderline pickups.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Meh, I don't mind Flynn as a depth player. Pretty small peanuts in any event whether he's signed or not. I'm really not sure why so many are making a big deal of it. News flash: Every team in the league needs to sign 12th/13th forwards.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Meh, I don't mind Flynn as a depth player. Pretty small peanuts in any event whether he's signed or not. I'm really not sure why so many are making a big deal of it. News flash: Every team in the league needs to sign 12th/13th forwards.

Some people here are negative just to be negative. Even if your teams rack 110points, is in constant progression, and lost in a tight-series in 6 against a team who loss a tight series against a modern dynasty

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This guy is not needed. Bournival deserves another shot. Sadly I think Bournival is as good as gone...

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Some people here are negative just to be negative. Even if your teams rack 110points, is in constant progression, and lost in a tight-series in 6 against a team who loss a tight series against a modern dynasty

I can't speak for others, but I was really happy with the team before the Sekac-DSP trade and the deadline acquisitions. In trying to get bigger we made ourselves worse. Our record after the changes was 12-11. Then in the playoffs we didn't play particularly well against Ottawa, not to mention Tampa.

We don't need to get bigger. That won't help us win these series against Tampa and the Rangers. We need to get younger and faster in the bottom six (like we were during our best part of the season after we got rid of Moen and Bourque, sat Malhotra down, and played Bournival, Thomas, Andrighetto, and Sekac). And, we need more talent in the top six.

F__K SIZE ALREADY!

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
We aren't looking at the right kind of depth here. Our quality depth is still shallow, and we have already a bunch of depth players. Unless this means a guy like Prust is being shopped.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Shall I post it here too?

Indeed I shall!

VrxqIgK.gif

BargainBin © WhiskeySeven 2015 ;)

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Flynn is actually a promising 4th liner. I can't see MB dumping him without giving him a shot to show what he can contribute, which he barely got a chance to do. Also can't see Flynn having any real leverage. It's probably over a couple hundred grand and maybe one side wanting a year more than the other.

He could be traded, for sure, and for pucks. But I suspect he'll be signed first. Personally I think he's a promising 4th liner and probably good bang for the buck. Regardless, he's an RFA 4th liner and MB went out and got him.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I can't speak for others, but I was really happy with the team before the Sekac-DSP trade and the deadline acquisitions. In trying to get bigger we made ourselves worse. Our record after the changes was 12-11. Then in the playoffs we didn't play particularly well against Ottawa, not to mention Tampa.

We don't need to get bigger. That won't help us win these series against Tampa and the Rangers. We need to get younger and faster in the bottom six (like we were during our best part of the season after we got rid of Moen and Bourque, sat Malhotra down, and played Bournival, Thomas, Andrighetto, and Sekac). And, we need more talent in the top six.

F__K SIZE ALREADY!

Thomas - .06 PPG
Bournival - .17 PPG
Andrighetto - .25 PPG
Sekac - .32 PPG

The Habs may have been winning games when those 4 players were on the ice but they damn sure didnt do much in helping the Habs win.

The Black Hawks are not as small as you think. And definitely not smaller than Montreal.

The smurf experiment has been failing for two decades. Hoping that it changes is insanity. Smaller players are too easily knocked off of the puck and lose more puck battles than they win. Gallagher should be the ONLY undersized player on this team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Flynn is actually a promising 4th liner.

A stunning zirconia.

High end fashion plastic sandals.

Moral victory.

Trump running for President.

Promising 4th liner.

So much pump, so little circumstance.

Bergie, we hear the sizzle, but where's the steak? :popcorn:

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Brendan Gallagher
XXX/Charles Hudon - Alex Galchenyuk - XXX/Sven Andrighetto
Jacob De La Rose - Lars Eller - Devante Smith-Pelly
Brandon Prust - Torrey Mitchell - Dale Weise
Brian Flynn

Andrei Markov - PK Subban
Nathan Beaulieu - Jeff Petry
Jarred Tinordi - Tom Gilbert
XXX

As long as it ends up being something similar to that I see no issue. Depth is good and all but our top 6 is lacking. I think putting a young guy on the wing on the second line is still doable. Glencross, Beleskey or Williams would be decent signings until McCarron or Scherbak come up.

Hudon - Galchenyuk - Williams
or
Glencross - Galchenyuk - Andrighetto
or
Beleskey - Galchenyuk - Andrighetto

Those would all be better than:

Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Parenteau

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Thomas - .06 PPG
Bournival - .17 PPG
Andrighetto - .25 PPG
Sekac - .32 PPG

The Habs may have been winning games when those 4 players were on the ice but they damn sure didnt do much in helping the Habs win.

The Black Hawks are not as small as you think. And definitely not smaller than Montreal.

The smurf experiment has been failing for two decades. Hoping that it changes is insanity. Smaller players are too easily knocked off of the puck and lose more puck battles than they win. Gallagher should be the ONLY undersized player on this team.

The league is a very different league than it was 2 decades ago. It's even very different than it was 2 years ago. Laracque, Parroes, and Orr types can't get jobs in today's game. But they were effective just 3 years ago. The smurf experiment was a failure in the past. I just hope we don't abandon emphasizing speed and skill just as it becomes more and more a preeminent part of the game.

And I don't think is was a coincidence that we were winning and performing well with those players. Speedy two-way players are the new grinding bottom six two-way players. They provide energy and wear the other team down with their speed.

I just hope MB isn't stuck in the past. He did admit that not signing a tough guy after letting Parroes go did represent a change in Philosophy of not putting a heavy-weight in the lineup. I pray he sees the need to have a speedy bottom six over a big and tough but slow and unskilled bottom six.

Ihatekessel

Feb 24, 2014
Thunder Bay
Brian Flynn

XXX

As long as it ends up being something similar to that I see no issue. Depth is good and all but our top 6 is lacking. I think putting a young guy on the wing on the second line is still doable. Glencross, Beleskey or Williams would be decent signings until McCarron or Scherbak come up.

or
or

2 Rookies on the second line???
IMO, DSP is nothing more than a 4th liner/Healthy scratch. This line-up needs help:help:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Thomas - .06 PPG
Bournival - .17 PPG
Andrighetto - .25 PPG
Sekac - .32 PPG

traded for someone who did worse with a great 0.15 PPG.

and you forgot someone on your list
DLR : 0.18 PPG

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Brian Flynn

XXX

or
or

While I agree they might be an upgrade over PAP & DD , I wouldnt go after any of them (age, money, ...). Especially Belesky who is likely to hit the jackpot after his PO performance.

GravelTheOne

Jun 5, 2007
Alma, Québec
I'd like to know what he has done to gain your confidence, is it the bottom feeders he consistently adds to the roster or is it the outstanding coach he's hired?

A lot of things.

Like every others GMs, he's not perfect. But when you look at the big picture, you understand quickly that Bergevin is a great GM.

I'm not bilingual so it's not easy for me to discuss.

This guy releases confidence, learned in the best hockey franchise right now and the club is performing.

He put together a great coaching/managing staff, brought Stephane Waite for Carey, made some great signings with our core players, made some really good hockey trades, showed us to be able to manage a salary cap, etc.

I think this article well resumes my thinking about his job. It doesnt count this year, but I think he did a good job again.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...-two-years-job-habs-canadiens-general-manager

He's slowly but surely turning this franchise into something really good year after year and I can't say I've been pampered like this over the last 20 years.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Good, keep him. He's a serviceable player. Enough with garbage like Blunden.

Plus he was 2 for 2 in shootouts last year. Maybe he has value there.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
A lot of things.

Like every others GMs, he's not perfect. But when you look at the big picture, you understand quickly that Bergevin is a great GM.

I'm not bilingual so it's not easy for me to discuss.

This guy releases confidence, learned in the best hockey franchise right now and the club is performing.

He put together a great coaching/managing staff, brought Stephane Waite for Carey, made some great signings with our core players, made some really good hockey trades, showed us to be able to manage a salary cap, etc.

I think this article well resumes my thinking about his job. It doesnt count this year, but I think he did a good job again.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...-two-years-job-habs-canadiens-general-manager

He's slowly but surely turning this franchise into something really good year after year and I can't say I've been pampered like this over the last 20 years.

Our PP that was our bread and butter is now 23rd. Our PK is ok at 7th. Whoever coach the PP should have been fired. We also give the 21th most shots against, signaling that our D strategy (looking at you JJD) needs revision. Only Chicago made the PO and gave up more shot than us (0.1 more), but they also had 5.4 shots for more than us.

As for shots for, we're sitting at 26th with only Calgary being lower than us as a playoff team.

It's either MB doesn't bring what we need as far as players are concerned or MT's crew need some change. Goalies rarely win a team a championship, so unless we get better defensively or offensively, we'll need Price to be playing at a peak HoFer level (think Hasek/Roy peak) to win.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad