Rumor: Brian Flynn in contract talks with Canadiens

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
A lot of things.

Like every others GMs, he's not perfect. But when you look at the big picture, you understand quickly that Bergevin is a great GM.

I'm not bilingual so it's not easy for me to discuss.

This guy releases confidence, learned in the best hockey franchise right now and the club is performing.

He put together a great coaching/managing staff, brought Stephane Waite for Carey, made some great signings with our core players, made some really good hockey trades, showed us to be able to manage a salary cap, etc.

I think this article well resumes my thinking about his job. It doesnt count this year, but I think he did a good job again.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...-two-years-job-habs-canadiens-general-manager

He's slowly but surely turning this franchise into something really good year after year and I can't say I've been pampered like this over the last 20 years.

Thats not how you judge a GM. You judge him sheerly on the bad moves he's done and make that his legacy. Doesn't matter if he's turned this team into a winning team almost immediately. Its all about PK's bridge contract and signing Briere with the remaining cap space.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Don't really care about Flynn. He's a meh player who is "depth" in case of injuries. He didn't play all that much in the play-offs.

If it's a two-way contract I'm all for it. He'd be a great add to St. John's that could use a good verteran guy with NHL experience and a two-way game to help them.

If he's not in St. John's then he's just another non-descript player wearing a jersey in case of the big "what if?" scenario.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
As long as it's 900,000 or less we can bury him in the AHL if we want

I expect he'll get a slight raise...700-800 k one way for 1 or 2 years.

Don't really care about Flynn. He's a meh player who is "depth" in case of injuries. He didn't play all that much in the play-offs.

If it's a two-way contract I'm all for it. He'd be a great add to St. John's that could use a good verteran guy with NHL experience and a two-way game to help them.

If he's not in St. John's then he's just another non-descript player wearing a jersey in case of the big "what if?" scenario.

ONE way or two way has no impact on if you can send him AHL...just means his salary is the same either spot. I think he'll get a 1 way.

Last edited by a moderator:

GravelTheOne

Jun 5, 2007
Alma, Québec
Our PP that was our bread and butter is now 23rd. Our PK is ok at 7th. Whoever coach the PP should have been fired. We also give the 21th most shots against, signaling that our D strategy (looking at you JJD) needs revision. Only Chicago made the PO and gave up more shot than us (0.1 more), but they also had 5.4 shots for more than us.

As for shots for, we're sitting at 26th with only Calgary being lower than us as a playoff team.

It's either MB doesn't bring what we need as far as players are concerned or MT's crew need some change. Goalies rarely win a team a championship, so unless we get better defensively or offensively, we'll need Price to be playing at a peak HoFer level (think Hasek/Roy peak) to win.

I agree with you that our PP is awful. And I agree that we can still improve.

But, bottom line is this team finished 2nd in the entire league and gave us some great results. No matter what people say, coaching/managing staff have to get credits at some point.

Thats not how you judge a GM. You judge him sheerly on the bad moves he's done and make that his legacy. Doesn't matter if he's turned this team into a winning team almost immediately. Its all about PK's bridge contract and signing Briere with the remaining cap space.

:thumbu:

Last edited by a moderator:

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
2 Rookies on the second line???
IMO, DSP is nothing more than a 4th liner/Healthy scratch. This line-up needs help:help:

If you read the bottom of my post you'd see it's one rookie and Beleskey, Williams or Glencross.

JDLR - Eller - DSP IMO would be a good line.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If you read the bottom of my post you'd see it's one rookie and Beleskey, Williams or Glencross.

JDLR - Eller - DSP IMO would be a good line.

WE need more scoring than that from the 3rd line. Eller can chip in a few but he has no creativity. You need a Hudon or Andrighetto on that line plus Weise or DSP for physicalty and net presence.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
A line that will give us no secondary scoring. None.

and people don't want to bring back Kostitsyn :laugh:

Nobody is going to give us secondary scoring. Therrien deploys the third line completely in the defensive zone. It's a system problem not a personnel one.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
A line that will give us no secondary scoring. None.

and people don't want to bring back Kostitsyn :laugh:

WE need more scoring than that from the 3rd line. Eller can chip in a few but he has no creativity. You need a Hudon or Andrighetto on that line plus Weise or DSP for physicalty and net presence.

Nobody is going to give us secondary scoring. Therrien deploys the third line completely in the defensive zone. It's a system problem not a personnel one.

Exactly. Our 3rd line is there to shutdown and be physical. Maybe we don't agree with that, but that's the way Therrien likes it.

JDLR - Eller - DSP does that perfectly.

Maybe in a perfect world, they will click and JDLR will develop his offence and DSP will do what many hoped he can do.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Exactly. Our 3rd line is there to shutdown and be physical. Maybe we don't agree with that, but that's the way Therrien likes it.

JDLR - Eller - DSP does that perfectly.

Maybe in a perfect world, they will click and JDLR will develop his offence and DSP will do what many hoped he can do.

I don't think it's the way Therrien likes it, it's that he hasn't really had a choice.

This year we basically had 5 top 6 forwards with Parenteau not producing, Weise did a pretty good job when he was there, but he isn't a full time solution. Pretty hard to have a lot of 3rd line scoring when you don't have 6 top 6 forwards.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I like Flynn, I think him & Mitchell made things happen more than you'd expect from a lot of 4th lines. If the Habs can sign him cheap why not?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't really care about Flynn.

Seven pages into this and people still rationalizing how he could be a helpful cog.

Imagine what will happen if a bona fide top 6 scorer is rumored to be signing.

Sure, every team needs to secure their 12th and 13th forwards, but it's not as if they're in short supply. There's always some chump who can do the job for less, why worry who it might be. Could be Flynn or a clone. It only matters now cause nothing else is going on.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The league is a very different league than it was 2 decades ago. It's even very different than it was 2 years ago. Laracque, Parroes, and Orr types can't get jobs in today's game. But they were effective just 3 years ago. The smurf experiment was a failure in the past. I just hope we don't abandon emphasizing speed and skill just as it becomes more and more a preeminent part of the game.

And I don't think is was a coincidence that we were winning and performing well with those players. Speedy two-way players are the new grinding bottom six two-way players. They provide energy and wear the other team down with their speed.

I just hope MB isn't stuck in the past. He did admit that not signing a tough guy after letting Parroes go did represent a change in Philosophy of not putting a heavy-weight in the lineup. I pray he sees the need to have a speedy bottom six over a big and tough but slow and unskilled bottom six.

The NHL changed big time this past season. Almost all of the goons found themselves in the AHL without a callup.

The one thing that has not changed.........yet.......is the hitting in the NHL. And as long as hitting is allowed in the NHL, physics will still be in play in that smaller guys are more easily knocked off of the puck and that smaller guys typically dont do well in the crease area (that's why I said keep Gallagher since he is willing to get flattened on every shift in front of the net but still is effective playing that role)

Tampa made it to the finals with an undersized player leading their offense. Tyler Johnson is 5' 8". Its all good for the Bolts to have him on their team when they only have one more undersized player, JT Brown, 5' 10" 172 playing a forward position.

The same for the Black Hawks.

The problem in Montreal is not that a small undersized forward cannot be an impact player. No, the problem is that we are overloaded with that type of player in the prospect pool.

People clamor to get rid of DD because of a hundred different reasons. The biggest flaw is that he is too small. Great passer but he cannot create space, he is hesitant to play in the dirty area in front of the crease and he is easily knocked off the puck. Trade him tomorrow. The Habs would be better for it.

So do we get rid of a small problem only to replace him with another in Thomas, Andrighetto, Reway, Audette etc and so on?

As long as hitting is allowed in the NHL and as long as the Montreal organization is filled with undersized forwards, we are going to be in trouble competitively.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
traded for someone who did worse with a great 0.15 PPG.

and you forgot someone on your list
DLR : 0.18 PPG

The problem with evaluating DLR for his production is that he isn't an offensive type of player. He is a defensive forward, and a future 3rd line shutdown center. He wasn't drafted for his offense because his offensive upside isn't through the roof, and it never will be. (This isn't a shot at you or anything because I don't think you were bringing up his PPG stats maliciously or anything, I just though I would use your post as a spring board in order to get a point across.)

He was basically drafted to be what management has tried to mold Eller into. If DLR can be a more efficient player in that role on the third line, he will be a success. Nobody looked at DLR at the draft and thought "top 6 forward". I just don't think that's his game.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
The NHL changed big time this past season. Almost all of the goons found themselves in the AHL without a callup.

The one thing that has not changed.........yet.......is the hitting in the NHL. And as long as hitting is allowed in the NHL, physics will still be in play in that smaller guys are more easily knocked off of the puck and that smaller guys typically dont do well in the crease area (that's why I said keep Gallagher since he is willing to get flattened on every shift in front of the net but still is effective playing that role)

Tampa made it to the finals with an undersized player leading their offense. Tyler Johnson is 5' 8". Its all good for the Bolts to have him on their team when they only have one more undersized player, JT Brown, 5' 10" 172 playing a forward position.

The same for the Black Hawks.

The problem in Montreal is not that a small undersized forward cannot be an impact player. No, the problem is that we are overloaded with that type of player in the prospect pool.

People clamor to get rid of DD because of a hundred different reasons. The biggest flaw is that he is too small. Great passer but he cannot create space, he is hesitant to play in the dirty area in front of the crease and he is easily knocked off the puck. Trade him tomorrow. The Habs would be better for it.

So do we get rid of a small problem only to replace him with another in Thomas, Andrighetto, Reway, Audette etc and so on?

As long as hitting is allowed in the NHL and as long as the Montreal organization is filled with undersized forwards, we are going to be in trouble competitively.
Kucherov and Palat are also smallish. And physics also say that being smaller helps you skate better. The problem with DD is not only that he is small. It is that he has little hockey IQ, not really fast, and suck defensively. The fact he is small makes it worse, tho.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think it is good of management to tolerate low production from De La Rose, Smith-Pelley, etc if they believe them to have long-term potential. We can disagree with the assessment, but it is good to see them invest ice time in young players.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Even if they don't need Flynn today he still has some value on the market. Even if it is only a later round pick. Not signing him would be poor asset management.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
A lot of things.

Like every others GMs, he's not perfect. But when you look at the big picture, you understand quickly that Bergevin is a great GM.

I'm not bilingual so it's not easy for me to discuss.

This guy releases confidence, learned in the best hockey franchise right now and the club is performing.

He put together a great coaching/managing staff, brought Stephane Waite for Carey, made some great signings with our core players, made some really good hockey trades, showed us to be able to manage a salary cap, etc.

I think this article well resumes my thinking about his job. It doesnt count this year, but I think he did a good job again.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...-two-years-job-habs-canadiens-general-manager

He's slowly but surely turning this franchise into something really good year after year and I can't say I've been pampered like this over the last 20 years.

You've really said a whole lot of nothing here. Great GM, where's the picture, I'd love to take a look.

What does being bilingual have to do with anything, this part has confused me.

He worked for an organization that stunk for years, but eventually turned it around with good drafting, but he was never the guy in charge making decisions. Do you think all management is automatically awesome because they work in a successful org?

Great coaching/managing, now we know you're just blowing smoke. His choice fro NHL/AHL have been two of his worst decisions, although I couldn't care less about who coaches, it's hard to argue he went out and got the best here. Waite gets way too much credit for Carey Price, Carey was long on his way to becoming a consistent top 5 goalie year in and year out, without or without Waite.

He has made a significant move outside of Petry, which I like very much btw, but outside that, he's signed plug after plug and not much else.

This team was already a good team before he took over, he was gift-wrapped two buyouts to remove the existing deadweight and git-wrapped a 3rd overall pick to go along with it. His work has been very meh, certainly nothing great.

GravelTheOne

Jun 5, 2007
Alma, Québec
You've really said a whole lot of nothing here. Great GM, where's the picture, I'd love to take a look.

He worked for an organization that stunk for years, but eventually turned it around with good drafting, but he was never the guy in charge making decisions. Do you think all management is automatically awesome because they work in a successful org?

Great coaching/managing, now we know you're just blowing smoke. His choice fro NHL/AHL have been two of his worst decisions, although I couldn't care less about who coaches, it's hard to argue he went out and got the best here. Waite gets way too much credit for Carey Price, Carey was long on his way to becoming a consistent top 5 goalie year in and year out, without or without Waite.

He has made a significant move outside of Petry, which I like very much btw, but outside that, he's signed plug after plug and not much else.

This team was already a good team before he took over, he was gift-wrapped two buyouts to remove the existing deadweight and git-wrapped a 3rd overall pick to go along with it. His work has been very meh, certainly nothing great.

The part about not being bilingual is simply to tell you thats very hard for me to debate on a topic because I'm searching my words all the time. I dont want to spend my day to write a text :P

So, like you said, I'm just blowing smoke and I dont know what I'm talking about, so lets agree to disagree. Time will tell us who's right.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

All 30 teams were "gift-wrapped" two buyouts. I will never understand this argument. Habs gained no edge from this over any other team.

Even worse we actually had 3 players to buyout in Gomez, Kaberle and Bourque.

On top of that, we did have a lot of badly used cap space in Gionta, Gorges, Cole (who got all emo about the new CBA and didn't feel like playing anymore.. what a crybaby..).

Bergevin has made some mistakes, and corrected most of them. The only mistake we're still paying for is PAP and Subban's bridge deal.

Good:
-Pacioretty (the most cap friendly deal in the NHL?)
-Price (again great deal)
-Petry
-Weise
-Prust
-Strong short term fixes at low cost (Weaver, Ryder, Gonchar, Vanek)
-Hiring of Waite (possibly his best move)

Bad:
-Subban bridge deal and subsequent fiasco
-Briere signing
-Moen signing

Good far outweighs the bad as far as I'm concerned.

He can move into godlike territory if he gets us a 1st line RW or C at a reasonable cost.

phoque taupe

May 15, 2010
Montréal
Shall I post it here too?

Indeed I shall!

VrxqIgK.gif

BargainBin © WhiskeySeven 2015 ;)

:popcorn:
i love this :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad