Rumor: Brian Flynn in contract talks with Canadiens

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Flynn had, what, one or two decent playoff games? And was sub-replacement-level filler otherwise. He didn't exactly showcase himself as a player who absolutely must have a position on our roster next season.

But yeah, I guess Bergevin loves his 4th-line grinders. Who needs second-line help when you can have 6 or 7 4th liners on the roster?

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
For **** sake, we've got enough character grinding whatever you want to call it type of players, enough already!

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
As much as rookies and a shiny new toy for the team veterans can always been counted on.
What can you count on Flynn to do? Warm the bench? He's not a scorer. He's not particularly good on defense. He's got no above-average skill in anything for an NHL hockey player. He's arguably below average in nearly everything, and he's 26 years old. This is as good as Brian Flynn ever gets. There's no "there" there.

No need to bring him back. At all. Let a prospect have his spot and let's see what he can do instead.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Bergevin will give an extension to the zamboni driver and the janitor before signing a skilled player like Galchenyuk. Serisoulsy, this is ridiculous.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Flynn makes lots of sense as the 13th forward on a low salary who doesn't have to play every night, as he's a bit more fit than others to play on every line.

On the flipside, with Bournival having to clear waivers... I dunno, I'd just keep him in Montreal instead, because I'm not sure he'd clear.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
So with Flynn signing a contract with the Habs possibly close.

That leaves just Galchenyuk / Tinordi / Bournival left to sign and the last 2 battle for a spot with the big club?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What can you count on Flynn to do? Warm the bench? He's not a scorer. He's not particularly good on defense. He's got no above-average skill in anything for an NHL hockey player. He's arguably below average in nearly everything, and he's 26 years old. This is as good as Brian Flynn ever gets. There's no "there" there.

No need to bring him back. At all. Let a prospect have his spot and let's see what he can do instead.

That's the thing : his spot is probably 13th forward, and I'd rather have Andrighetto, Hudon and Carr play 17-18 mins a night in St-John's than having one of them playing 8 minutes one game out of three and eating hot dogs for the two others.

I think he can also play all 3 positions, too.

Shawarma*

MB did sign Petry, which was pretty clutch, so I will give him a pass.

But his haste in signing expendable plugs and then playing hardball with skilled players is annoying.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
You guys are black or white.

Flynn as a 13th forward is a very good and cheap option and even if he is signed. If andrighetto or hudon deserve a spot on the roster, they will have it even if flynn is signed.

But, in the other way, if hudon or andrighetto are not ready, flynn is better suited for the 4th line role than those unready prospect dont you think.

Signing Flynn isnt a disaster come on ...

It's sad because the habs are having their best moment since a ****ing while and the people here are so ****ing pessimist and negative about everything.

Even if MB stay put and the only other move he does is to sign Galchenyuk, with the re-signing of Petry, the experience acquired by Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Beaulieu.

I still expect the habs to be a 110 points team and a contender in the east. But you know, i expect our GM to, like he did during his 3 years, slowly improve his team to making it a constant and true contender for the next years to come.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Well, he's an RFA. So there's not exactly a bidding war. What use do we have for him? Guys like Andrighetto or Hudon can't bring the same or more?

Hudon and Andrighetto should not be on the 4th line. They should be top 9 or AHL.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
So with Flynn signing a contract with the Habs possibly close.

That leaves just Galchenyuk / Tinordi / Bournival left to sign and the last 2 battle for a spot with the big club?

Tinordi is a lock to be on the roster.

Bournival I think he gets traded. He's behind Weise Prust and Flynn and no longer waiver exempt.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Since he was RFA I expected Flynn back so that's not much of a surprise. Eventually though MB will have to stop signing 4th line role players and address his teams major weakness which is the offense right? The coach and his system is a major problem why the offense and PP sucks but another top 6 scoring winger is badly needed on this team.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
That's the thing : his spot is probably 13th forward, and I'd rather have Andrighetto, Hudon and Carr play 17-18 mins a night in St-John's than having one of them playing 8 minutes one game out of three and eating hot dogs for the two others.

I think he can also play all 3 positions, too.

Okay look; nobody asked you to come here and talk all reasonable and stuff. If we want to complain about Bergevin signing a 13th-14th forward who will probably sit in the press box and/or provide competition and/or safety for a seriously concussed Bournival, then that is what we will do! CLEARLY Bergevin is an idiot for doing so! We don't need no stinking logic and stuff! Take that realism and go some place else please! We want to see an Andrighetto, Prust and Weise line, and that's that!! How else are we going to complain about how Therrien never puts the kids in positions to succeed??

:shakehead

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Might Prust be on the block? He's lost a few steps and his $2.5M would be a welcome subtraction from the team salary.

I like the guy alot, and I know many posters would hate the idea because of the toughness he brings. Just putting it out there.

IdontSpitOnTheIce

Apr 27, 2012
Nothing wrong with beefing up the depth before the playoffs, but why not make room for the kids next season instead?

I don't know man, maybe they want to ice a strong ahl team next year for scherbak mccaron fucale and others.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Keep in mind that we had a really lucky year last year when it came to injuries, or lack thereof. More depth is never a bad thing. Giving Hudon/Ghetto/Thomas/etc. playing time is great, but filling the roster with young guys because felt guys like Flynn were "a waste" won't get us anywhere if/when injuries pile up next year.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Hudon and Andrighetto should not be on the 4th line. They should be top 9 or AHL.

I agree, but with more and more depth signings, their chances to fill in as injury replacements get fewer and fewer. We've got lots of NHL ready forwards, but very few NHL spots. We've seen Prust/Weise/Moen promoted countless times to spots they shouldn't be. I think this bumps another 4th line forward up the roster.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Parenteau
Weise-Eller-DSP
Prust-Mitchell-Flynn
(Bournival)

DeLaRose-Hudon-Andrighetto
Thomas-Carr

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not sure what negotiating needs to happen. We offer league minimum and he tries to get slightly higher. This shouldn't take long. Like others said he will be a good fourth liner or 13th forward.

Enough with the Bargain Bin stuff. It's completely obnoxious.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
Doesn't really bother me but I hope Bournival doesn't get scratched because of Flynn. This teams needs more speed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad