Brad Marchand jumps Lars Eller part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Marchand deserved the PIMs he got and nothing more. If you think he deserved supplementary discipline then you're not a hockey fan. This game is rough and involves fighting. As for the "codes" Eller deserved a beating, and Marchand will have to fight next time they face the Capitals, as he should

Ah cool, so when Tom Wilson comes back he can just grab Sidney Crosby and start punching him in the face. No supplementary discipline.

And if Crosby gets concussed, that's his problem.

Gee that sounds like a good idea for the league.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This is the same kind of logic that got Don Cherry mad at Tomas Hertl for his between the legs goal. Which was also silly.

Not to mention the celebration wasn't even a big deal. Should he not put his arms up next time? Not smile? What is the etiquette for a player when they are clown-pounding a team on the scoreboard, just so we can make sure the other team doesn't get their feelings hurt?
You can act however you want. Just don't get your feelings hurt when someone takes exception.

I hope ellers feelings weren't hurt.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You can act however you want. Just don't get your feelings hurt when someone takes exception.

I hope ellers feelings weren't hurt.
This is a pretty awful attempt to try and turn around the fact the Bruins had their feelings hurt by someone celebrating a goal they scored.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This is a pretty awful attempt to try and turn around the fact the Bruins had their feelings hurt by someone celebrating a goal they scored.
Its called sportsmanship.

conduct (such as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport

Running the score up, hot dogging and over celebrating are not showing respect for ones opponent or graciousness in winning or losing.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Maybe we can have every single player who threw a check arrested for assault too.

That's just being ignorant. In NA law engaging in contact sports is implicit consent to engage in physical contact that could/ would be considered criminal outside of the sport.

Hell in canadian law there's provision for consensual fighting to be legal. One fun little piece of that law however, is that a fight cannot be consensual if one of the combatants was "backed into a corner" and forced to react in self defense. So legally speaking Eller did not engage in a consensual fight, he defended himself from an assault. But the NHL isn't a courtroom.

Summary of events:

Ellers celebration- pretty tacky, don't blame the Bruins for going after him
Marchand's way of starting the fight- gutless and cowardly, I assume anyone that defends it is also a gutless coward
The fight- good on Eller for standing in, he had no idea what he was doing and size notwithstanding was starting off at a huge disadvantage (helmet off, Marchand had way better grip, and the initiative) but props for trying.
The aftermath (Rules)- fine with the penalty and no supplemental, Marchand didn't connect with the early punches so no real harm done but if he does and Ellers goes down and smacks his helmetless head on the ice (which Marchand calculatedly tore off).. we're looking at Bertuzzi 2.0 and the real end of fighting. Thank god Marchand threw pillows
The aftermath (on ice)- hopefully Marchand gets jumped and fed. Live by the sword, die by the sword. The code doesn't protect those that don't follow it.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
This is the same kind of logic that got Don Cherry mad at Tomas Hertl for his between the legs goal. Which was also silly.

Not to mention the celebration wasn't even a big deal. Should he not put his arms up next time? Not smile? What is the etiquette for a player when they are clown-pounding a team on the scoreboard, just so we can make sure the other team doesn't get their feelings hurt?
This is one of those things where if you have to actually ask the question don’t bother. Because you’ll never get it anyway.

I’ve heard guys like Ray Ferarro talk about some of the things they used to do/say to the opposing team. Instead of their opponents telling them to shut it, it’d be their own team mates that would.

Guys like Kelly Chase, who would have to go deal with the problem he had just created. The next practice together they’d be having a chit chat man to man type conversation about why that’s not acceptable.

Maybe that culture is missing a bit now? I don’t know.

I do know Eller found out something he should’ve known already being in the league as long as he has. You can not like who did it to him, that’s fine. But if you think that would e flown in any rink at any time in history you’re kidding yourself

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

conduct (such as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport

Running the score up, hot dogging and over celebrating are not showing respect for ones opponent or graciousness in winning or losing.
Okay, so now are we going as far as to say him scoring the goal to make it 7-0 might have been over the line?

He was celebrating with his teammates. He didn't do a dance. He didn't get in anyone's face during the celebration. He didn't slide across the ice or do something over the line. He waved when he scored then towards his own bench when he got close. There is nothing unsportsmanlike about any of that.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Because I am sure he was chirping the bench unprovoked. Like, you think he just felt really good about his goal so he wanted to talk trash to them for no reason? You think chirping doesn't occur in a blowout game from either the winning or losing team?
In a blowout? In front of the opposing bench?

Imma gonna go with "no"

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Thew etiquette is simple, don't celebrate in front of the opponents bench and you sure as he'll shouldn't chirp at them.

Easy peasy.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I honestly don't think Eller grew up with the same "rules" as we have in NA. Even in men's hockey, no one celebrates goals in blowouts. Well the hacks who never played organized hockey do, but most guys know better.

I remember when Eller had his 4 goal game with the habs i thought he was hamming it up by blowing the crowd kisses but i think it's just a different hockey culture there.
He's not fresh off the boat. If he didn't know better, he does now,

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
In a blowout? In front of the opposing bench?

Imma gonna go with "no"
Then the league is softer than everyone here asserts. Because that has occurred over the history of the league numerous times.

You wonder why games tend to get chippy when one team is dominating the other on the scoreboard? Is it because everyone follows the code or that people get emotional and take it out physically on the other team, leading the chirping, stick-work, and cheap shots?

fighterfoo

Time for a change.
Nov 29, 2005
Manchester, NH
Did you guys see the gutless thing Marchand did last night? Not one, not two, not three, but four assists? Left the Sabres an absolute mess. Classless IMHO.

Reactions: Clode

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Except, professional sports aren't so much sports but business. This isn't some beer or little league games, these are all pros, whose salaries in a short lived career depend on the results you put up. If you don't like the score, STOP THEM from scoring.

Total snowflake mentality.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Then the league is softer than everyone here asserts. Because that has occurred over the history of the league numerous times.

You wonder why games tend to get chippy when one team is dominating the other on the scoreboard? Is it because everyone follows the code or that people get emotional and take it out physically on the other team, leading the chirping, stick-work, and cheap shots?
You try to show up the other team someone might come calling.

Some teams will lie there and take it, some will not. Eller found out which one the bruins are as they sent out their skilled five foot 9 forward to send a message.

Even good teams have bad nights and can get blown out. It's game one of a marathon and up 7 you start chirping? You want to rub salt in the wound? Fine. You want to rub salt in the wound with no consequences, not so much.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You try to show up the other team someone might come calling.

Some teams will lie there and take it, some will not. Eller found out which one the bruins are as they sent out their skilled five foot 9 forward to send a message.

Even good teams have bad nights and can get blown out. It's game one of a marathon and up 7 you start chirping? You want to rub salt in the wound? Fine. You want to rub salt in the wound with no consequences, not so much.
Celebrating with your teammates isn't showing the other team up, let alone something as small as a little wave to them.

And again, you are asserting that he was the first one to chirp the bench? That the Bruins were minding their own business and he initiated a confrontation just because?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Except, professional sports aren't so much sports but business. This isn't some beer or little league games, these are all pros, whose salaries in a short lived career depend on the results you put up. If you don't like the score, STOP THEM from scoring.

Total snowflake mentality.
Professional sports are still sports first and foremost to the guys on the ice. Are you watching a business on the ice or hockey? The hell kind of statement is that.

I'd say the snowflake mentality is thinking you can act however you want, without consequences.

Watch the best players in the world, Crosby, McDavid, Matthews, Karlsson. Would you ever see them hamming it up like that in a 7-0 win?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Professional sports are still sports first and foremost to the guys on the ice. Are you watching a business on the ice or hockey? The hell kind of statement is that.

I'd say the snowflake mentality is thinking you can act however you want, without consequences.

Watch the best players in the world, Crosby, McDavid, Matthews, Karlsson. Would you ever see them hamming it up like that in a 7-0 win?

1) it's a job to them first and foremost. As someone who has made money (indirectly through scholarships) for playing a sport at a high level, I understand this, as should anyone with a basic amount of awareness. Heck, I, along with most other professional athletes, turned to PEDs at one point or another. Do I feel it is unfair? Hell no, that's just reality, as everyone else is free to take the risk. Expecting games that have millions of dollars hanging in the balance to be what you insinuated is asinine and naive. It is not Lars Ellers job to stop the Bruins from getting embarassed or to save little Manletchand's ego.

2) "I'd say the snowflake mentality is thinking you can act however you want, without consequences.". This is hella ironic considering earlier you were posting that there shouldn't be punishment for Marchand.

3) A player's skill level has literally nothing to do with what I am arguing. Would they? probably not. Would I have a problem or think differently if they did, opposed to Lars Eller? No.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
2) "I'd say the snowflake mentality is thinking you can act however you want, without consequences.". This is hella ironic considering earlier you were posting that there shouldn't be punishment for Marchand.
Its comical to think Marchand deserves a suspension for this, but I would not care one bit if he got his face punched in
3) A player's skill level has literally nothing to do with this and is a pure red herring.
You're right, but as the best players in the game they also serve as ambassadors and role models if you will.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
You're right, but as the best players in the game they also serve as ambassadors and role models if you will.
It's not player's jobs to be role models. Their job is to be good at hockey so they can fill seats for the owner.

Is it nice? Yeah, sure. Is it their responsibility? No.

Its comical to think Marchand deserves a suspension for this, but I would not care one bit if he got his face punched in

Ok then, I can respect that opinion.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Marchand broke the rules, and was summarily punished. Comparing it to Wilson's infraction of a different rule is weird logic.

As far as I'm aware, the penalty for instigating a fight is a 2 minute minor, in addition to the 5 minute major for the fight. At the referee's discretion, this was also a game misconduct.

Is this punishment no longer sufficient in the eyes of HF fans? Does the NHL need to increase the penalty for instigating?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's not player's jobs to be role models. Their job is to be good at hockey so they can fill seats for the owner.

Is it nice? Yeah, sure. Is it their responsibility? No.

Ok then, I can respect that opinion.
I think the elite guys want to be role models for the young kids growing up like the Marios, Yzermans, Gretzkys, Bourques, etc were for them. They don't have to be, they can be complete asshats on the ice and still pull home 8 figures a year, but most of them have pretty decent morals.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Is this punishment no longer sufficient in the eyes of HF fans? Does the NHL need to increase the penalty for instigating?
I don't think any further action is required, but that doesn't mean I think Marchand was a smart, stable individual for his response to Eller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad