Brad Marchand jumps Lars Eller part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Anyone here watch the football game last night? The Patriots beat the Colts pretty badly as usual and celebrated every single score.

However, not a single Patriot ran past the Colts bench to “chirp” them. Didn’t happen once. Had that happened, there would likely have been a late hit on Brady on the next series.

As another poster alluded to, sportsmanship counts for something. Nothing wrong with celebrating, but telling someone they suck after tacking on a seventh goal might make them a little mad.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Eller also skated to the Bruin bench and had something to say, not sure why this detail is being overlooked...
And I have asked if people think Eller was the one who initiated that confrontation or if he was responding in kind to chirps directed at him from the Bruins bench.

If he is responding to someone initiating with him then there shouldn't be an issue.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
And I have asked if people think Eller was the one who initiated that confrontation or if he was responding in kind to chirps directed at him from the Bruins bench.

If he is responding to someone initiating with him then there shouldn't be an issue.

Without knowing what was said, I'm not sure how you can say that as an issue was had..

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Eller got cocky and deserved the punch. Good on Marchand to stand up for the team-colors like that. Eller is lucky it was a little runt that got a hold of him and not someone bigger and meaner.

Eller was a cocky puss and i bet you, the whole league except Washington agrees. He deserved what he got and that's that. Back in the day he would've gotten jumped the second he started provoking the Bruins bench like that. If you can't handle the heat, then don't play with the fire.

And btw, i f'n loath the Bruins.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Loved the beatdown

Those of us who have been on the wrong side and taunted by some ass hat like Eller enjoyed it.

Loved those last 2 punches.

Ted Lindsay would be happy

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Ah cool, so when Tom Wilson comes back he can just grab Sidney Crosby and start punching him in the face. No supplementary discipline.

And if Crosby gets concussed, that's his problem.

Gee that sounds like a good idea for the league.
Well, yeah? That's how hockey worked for a century before Bettman ruined it. I mean, are you even a fan of the sport? It's not figure-skating you know...

If Wilson grabs a hold of Crosby, Pittsburgh has to be ready to protect him or Crosby has to protect himself. I bet you there will be a line-brawl if that happens and if they had some balls they would go after Wilson mercilessly. Like it used to be in Hockey. If you tried to mess with Gretzky, you had to run past McSorley and Semenko first. I mean, that's hockey, it's a physical sport, it's the closet to warfare on ice that we can get.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
They had wilson hunting players down all playoffs. I don't like marchand at all, he's a POS. but eller had it coming and should know his place especially if big brother isn't there to answer the call. My guess is that, for 20 games, people will take liberties on the caps and honestly, rightfully so.
The 'had it coming' attitude is exactly what the League wants to get rid of! On- Ice justice is not what they want! They want the Refs to control the game,impart justice using the rule book ! You know, like a reflection of our society! Call the cops,don't protect your family if they are being met with deadly force or you're the one who's actions will be questioned. Not to be all political ,but the League attitude towards the on ice product is constantly influenced by those who want safer play! Ultimately heading where? It's too obvious where!

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Without knowing what was said, I'm not sure how you can say that as an issue was had..
Anything outside of hockey, I don't see an issue.

Do you believe he said something derogatory?

I think he made the gesture next to the Bruins bench, they got mad (players get pissed when getting blown out, I get that), so they start chirping him for it. He chirps back, the situation escalates, and Marchand jumps him later. That to me is the simplest explanation. I do not think him chirping is a good reason for Marchand to do what he did in the situation.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
excessive bat flip in baseball, expect to get beaned
stand on the Cowboys star after a TD, expect to get hit
Dunk in the last seconds of a blow out game instead of running out the clock, expect retribution
I'm sure there are examples in every sport.

Lets not act as though that Brad Marchand or the Bruins are the only person/organization that have ever pushed back after feeling disrespected by an opponent.

Reactions: rfournier103

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Because it wasn't a fight, Eller did not agree to fight Brad, Brad went after him, it was an attack.
giphy.gif

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

I think he made the gesture next to the Bruins bench, they got mad (players get pissed when getting blown out, I get that), so they start chirping him for it. He chirps back, the situation escalates, and Marchand jumps him later. That to me is the simplest explanation. I do not think him chirping is a good reason for Marchand to do what he did in the situation.

I have no idea what was said, but plenty of guys get chirped from the bench and just keep skating. Maybe Marchand would have gone after him anyway.

Marchand had done plenty of things I have had an issue with, but this isn't one of them.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I don't think any further action is required, but that doesn't mean I think Marchand was a smart, stable individual for his response to Eller.
and the flip side of chirping the bench up 7 doesnt get you into mensa either.

Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
Eller got cocky and deserved the punch. Good on Marchand to stand up for the team-colors like that. Eller is lucky it was a little runt that got a hold of him and not someone bigger and meaner.

Eller was a cocky puss and i bet you, the whole league except Washington agrees. He deserved what he got and that's that. Back in the day he would've gotten jumped the second he started provoking the Bruins bench like that. If you can't handle the heat, then don't play with the fire.

And btw, i f'n loath the Bruins.
I can make sweeping declarations too without backing it up.

I WILL NEVER DRINK WHISKEY AGAIN AND EVERYBODY EXCEPT MY WIFE AGREES!

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
It's funny how hockey players are considered some of the toughest athletes on earth but if a player celebrates a little more differently all hell breaks loose because their fragile feelings might get hurt. I hate to defend Caps players but this has always seemed dumb to me, other sports seem to do just fine without anyone pummeling anybody's face when somebody celebrates a bit more cockily. "Oh, we are down seven to zip and that's fine but god forbid somebody chirps the bench". How very mature.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
It's funny how hockey players are considered some of the toughest athletes on earth but if a player celebrates a little more differently all hell breaks loose because their fragile feelings might get hurt. I hate to defend Caps players but this has always seemed dumb to me, other sports seem to do just fine without anyone pummeling anybody's face when somebody celebrates a bit more cockily. "Oh, we are down seven to zip and that's fine but god forbid somebody chirps the bench". How very mature.

it's called emotion and it does in fact happen in every sport...

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Okay, maybe some NFL players are also as emotionally fragile as NHL-ers. Doesn't make it any less dumb.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

To fight him? My goodness. We are looking for reasons to make this non issue an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad