Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Quinn Hughes

Votes: 182 82.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hughes is also more responsible and can make up for any mistakes with his skating.

Just ask yourself, who do you trust more as the last defensemen back? Who do you trust more making a move at the blue line? Who do you trust more when deciding when to pinch or not?

One of the all time great performance from Bouchard this series, but I need a little more to put him in front of Hughes.
Agree with this and while I like Bouchard more than some, it's doubtfull that he ever wins or a Norris nor peaks as high as Hughes.

Reactions: Macheteops

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Hughes, and it's not even close. Canucks' focus was on shutting down McDrai, and it opened up space for Bouchard to have a good series-who was practically attached to their hip and always needs Ekholm to babysit him. Oilers fans are in denial about this.

If Hughes had McDrai to play with, instead of being the #1 target of the opposing team, he'd be unstoppable.

Look, you guys won the series, but get your heads out of your asses. Bouchard would have been eaten alive playing against McDrai.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hughes

Bouchard has been amazing these past 2 playoffs. There's a small chance he could surpass Hughes overall - but that's only a small chance.

You can't ignore how much having McDrai helps Bouchard with his production.

And of course - Hughes is spectacular too.

I think very highly of Bouchard - but I still take Hughes.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
One thing that is clearly evident is similar to Marner, Hughes isn’t built for playoff hockey. When the ice shrinks he becomes a very good d man rather than a Norris winner. Playoff hockey actually helps Bouchard is some ways because he isn’t a great skater. Obviously the answer is still Hughes but how much better can he get? Bouchard still has room to grow defensively and has a good frame.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
One thing that is clearly evident is similar to Marner, Hughes isn’t built for playoff hockey. When the ice shrinks he becomes a very good d man rather than a Norris winner. Playoff hockey actually helps Bouchard is some ways because he isn’t a great skater. Obviously the answer is still Hughes but how much better can he get? Bouchard still has room to grow defensively and has a good frame.

This is hilarious. Hughes was getting 2 guys hitting him way late on every forecheck in the Nashville series, Bouchard can only dream of garnering that attention from the other team.

Heck he isn't even the #1D on his team let alone best player.

• Haha
Reactions: Steven Toast

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Hughes is the most overrated dman I’ve seen in the last 200 years. When people shat on Karlsson at least he was doing shit by himself. Hughes couldn’t even outshine Bouchard in the playoffs. If he wins the Norris it’s a disgrace to the award

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Bouchard has had a better playoffs, but Hughes had the better regular season.

The sample size is too small for me to take Bouchard here. Similar to how I wouldn't take Marchessault over players who are considered "better" despite his recent Conn Smythe win.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How the hell is it Hughes? He just went head to head with Bouchard and got smoked.

Give your head a shake. This poll will age like the “Drai is overpaid” take.

It’s not just “oh he had the better playoffs…” . It’s holy shit he can produce in the playoffs. That’s huge. That alone gives Bouchard double the value. Like just ask yourself if you want Drai on your team or Marner? Similar points in the rEgUlAR SeaSoN but who’s winning you a series?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

No guys you don't understand, being an elite skater is a bad thing! Bouchard is actually better because he's slow and a bad skater!

crying mask.png

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It's obviously Quinn.

The timing of the poll couldn't be timed better for Bouchard and he's still losing in a landslide. Glad moat fans aren't as fickle to believe that series was some sort of indication Bouchard is somehow the best defenseman in the league.

Also Hughes has been injured since about game 3 of the Nashville series. Guess would be rib injury. It's not an excuse why the Canucks lost or anything but rather it's obvious to anyone that watches Hughes with regularity that he wasn't himself in that series.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agree with this and while I like Bouchard more than some, it's doubtfull that he ever wins or a Norris nor peaks as high as Hughes.

If Brent Burns could win a Norris I think Bouchard has a shot. There isn't just one kind of D that wins Norris trophies, Bouchard can certainly be compared favorably to guys like Burns and Carlsson (was a runner up), and frankly he's better than either of those guys at the same age.

Dude is in his 3rd actual season in the NHL and through 2 playoff rounds just set a record for most points in the first 2 playoff rounds *in NHL history*. That is definitely something.

2for1PizzaPastuh

LIL PUMP LOVES HOCKEY
Jan 13, 2023
Bouchard has the big game clutch factor that Hughes has not yet displayed.

Hughes is a regular season beast but need to see him adapt to playoff hockey before choosing him over Bouchard. No doubt he has the tools to do so, but he is just so small, and what he lacks vertically is not compensated for horizontally on his biceps, shoulders or thighs. There’s only so much that be done when you’re that slight. Marner comes to mind.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Here’s my take - Hughes is what he was when he showed up and it’s been phenomenal from day one. Unbelievable talent.

Bouchard is not the same player when he entered the league. He has grown by leaps and bounds and it appears Paul Coffee has had a huge effect on his play. He’s still not finished.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Hughes not close. Put Hughes on the Oilers and he would put up 200pts.
and you would still be on the internet posting on a hockey forum about how Bouchard would put up 400 if he was on the oilers

complete delusion to think eithers numbers would be better than the other if roles were reversed, unless you don't actually watch hockey that is...

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Here’s my take - Hughes is what he was when he showed up and it’s been phenomenal from day one. Unbelievable talent.

Bouchard is not the same player when he entered the league. He has grown by leaps and bounds and it appears Paul Coffee has had a huge effect on his play. He’s still not finished.
Hughes is reached a new level this season, he wasn’t Norris level when he entered the league, despite what the Canucks homers were saying

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
You should apply for the job once Tocchet gets axed
He really should if Tocchet is overlooking match-ups and not game planning for one of the best players in the series.

His team played 82 games this season to gain the advantage of last change and he doesn’t put out wingers with assignments to contain Bouchard??

I’m probably feeding the troll here but it’s crazy to think there wasn’t a game plan since game one to contain him, let alone after he started repeatedly abusing the Canucks.

Simply “clear the net” or “get in front of point shots” is game planning for Bouchard’s shot. But I think it went into more detail than that, or should have anyways.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The only thing Hughes has on Bouchard is ballerina twirls and baking muffins from the blue line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad