Brad Marchand jumps Lars Eller part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Ekblad didn’t drop his gloves and fight. Eller did, or at least his throwing hand.

Like it or hate it, that’s the major difference between the two incidents from a rule book perspective. Marchand and Eller both got fighting penalties (plus Marchand getting the instigator and misconduct). Domi got a roughing penalty and Ekblad nothing as no fight took place.
Domi was given a 5:00 major, a game misconduct and a match penalty for what he did to Ekblad.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
Obviously an extreme example, but. If players A and B both swung there sticks at players C and D’s heads like a baseball bat, player A misses player C’s head by an inch, but player B makes solid contact with player D’s head, player C skates away unscathed while player D is stretched off. The two offending players attempted to commit the same act, is only one of them a penalty/suspension?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
But that’s the dumb part, basing penalties/suspensions on outcomes instead on actions. Because Ekblad went down and Eller didn’t the penalty changes, it’s stupid. Domi and Marchand basically did the same act, but the outcomes were different so the penalties are different. It makes it all kinds of confusing.

That is basing it on actions under the rule book.

Marchand and Eller fought. Domi and Ekblad did not.

As I tried to convey in my previous post I understand why people will dislike the perceived difference between the two situations and want to see changes. My point is there is some methodology the NHL is applying that differentiates the two.

Reactions: Pia8988

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
That is basing it on actions under the rule book.

Marchand and Eller fought. Domi and Ekblad did not.

As I tried to convey in my previous post I understand why people will dislike the perceived difference between the two situations and want to see changes. My point is there is some methodology the NHL is applying that differentiates the two.

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation Sir.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Tom Wilson gets 20 games for what could be generously called a hockey play that went over the edge. Brad Marchand gets no review for something that cannot be considered a hockey play even generously

Tom Wilson is maybe the 10th best player in his team. Brad Marchand is maybe the 25th best player in the entire NHL.

It's not equal justice for all. If you are good enough to sell lots of tickets you get away with it. If you are not a star you get the book thrown at you.

Wilson could have killed that guy. What are you smoking?!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I don't even like Marchand at all but I gotta commend him for not letting Eller who's clearly somewhat of a pansy get away with some lame **** like that.
That's old skool stuff...the League doesn't want you to like that! Why do you like that?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Obviously an extreme example, but. If players A and B both swung there sticks at players C and D’s heads like a baseball bat, player A misses player C’s head by an inch, but player B makes solid contact with player D’s head, player C skates away unscathed while player D is stretched off. The two offending players attempted to commit the same act, is only one of them a penalty/suspension?

I don’t know if only one is a suspension or not, but the NHL/DoPS has repeatedly stated that injuries are a factor in suspensions. So the player that actually caused an injury should expect harsher punishment then the one that didn’t.

Again one of those differences I understand some will disagree with and I wish it were a utopian world where we could assess intent and risk to issue discipline without looking at the end outcome. But intent and risk tend to be very subjective questions. Whereas did you actually injure someone is usually an objective fact.

It’s pretty much a staple in most legal codes that if two people break the “same law”—where one results in an injury, and other does not—the one who causes injury to another person will likely face a stiffer penalty.

Last edited:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Eller had it coming. Nothing to see here.
Had it coming? Ok,so to re-cap... Taunting = bad, Assaulting taunter = good! Face Licker = good, Assaulting face licker = bad!
Seriously,if it wasn't Marchand it would of been deemed more acceptable...probably! Back in the day,taunting was considered classless,but so was trying to fight a player that wasn't willing or wasn't a fighter! I know Eller eventually engaged,but it's not as if Marchand didn't know who it was! I doubt he does that if it's Wilson or the like!

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Marchand was a beast tonight. 4 As.

He was incredible last year too.

Im a sabres fan but I actually don’t mind Boston and the caps I loved Washington winning the cup and tbh I hated what eller did and I have no problem with what Marchand did. That’s old time hockey.

Eller kept beaking him too. If your gonna not fight then shut up and especially don’t celebrate after. 7-0 goal by the bench of all places of the other team.

People will hate on Marchand though because Marchand.

He can be a Sabre any day. But I’m sure he’s fine not being one. Lol

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Had it coming? Ok,so to re-cap... Taunting = bad, Assaulting taunter = good! Face Licker = good, Assaulting face licker = bad!
Seriously,if it wasn't Marchand it would of been deemed more acceptable...probably! Back in the day,taunting was considered classless,but so was trying to fight a player that wasn't willing or wasn't a fighter! I know Eller eventually engaged,but it's not as if Marchand didn't know who it was! I doubt he does that if it's Wilson or the like!
5'9.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I’m not a fan of either team to be clear......not sure what people are upset about.......it’s mens hockey.

Your blowing out a team.....taunting them verbally even further......you better be able to back it up physically. Eller.....not so much. Comical seeming such a small guy absolutely light up a much larger guy. Guessing Eller learnt a good lesson....keep your mouth shut.

Reactions: Sevendust

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Marchand was a beast tonight. 4 As.

He was incredible last year too.

Im a sabres fan but I actually don’t mind Boston and the caps I loved Washington winning the cup and tbh I hated what eller did and I have no problem with what Marchand did. That’s old time hockey.

Eller kept beaking him too. If your gonna not fight then shut up and especially don’t celebrate after. 7-0 goal by the bench of all places of the other team.

People will hate on Marchand though because Marchand.

He can be a Sabre any day. But I’m sure he’s fine not being one. Lol

I like you.

I posted earlier tonight that I've really got to enjoy Dahlin now before you guys get very good and he starts pissing me off - as Wow! not all there yet but that kid is just smooth. You can just see it's there. Won't be long - but especially 3-4 years from now he's going to be controlling the tempo of the play every time he's out there.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I like you.

I posted earlier tonight that I've really got to enjoy Dahlin now before you guys get very good and he starts pissing me off - as Wow! not all there yet but that kid is just smooth. You can just see it's there. Won't be long - but especially 3-4 years from now he's going to be controlling the tempo of the play every time he's out there.

Thanks bud I don’t think anyone likes me here but that’s fine I don’t try and be disliked though. Just a forum. I tend to rub people the wrong way most days but eh.

Respect. EP is great too.

Dahlia was very competent in most shifts tonight you could tell he’s confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad