Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Jose Bautista says hello....
And for a guy who doesn't know the sport of baseball all that well, I didn't think the bat flip was that big of a deal, in fact I thought it was kind of cool.

Difference is, I fully admit I don't know the unwritten rules of baseball.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Okay, maybe some NFL players are also as emotionally fragile as NHL-ers. Doesn't make it any less dumb.

After Roger Clemens hit Kevin Millar, Pedro Martinez famously plunked Jeter and Soriano back to back, then told Millar to "tell Clemens if he hits one of mine, I take two of his".

There is a code in all sports. Eller broke it, and paid the price. Nothing to see here. Move along.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
nah Emelin is a beaut. Loved having him on the habs, fights or no fights
im a habs fan, I kinda liked him but his insistence on throwing big questionable hits ( or loosey goosey stickwork on talent) and then refusing to settle always irked me. Yes I know about the plate in his face but if a guy played the way he did behind a fishbowl people would be rightly upset.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
im a habs fan, I kinda liked him but his insistence on throwing big questionable hits ( or loosey goosey stickwork on talent) and then refusing to settle always irked me. Yes I know about the plate in his face but if a guy played the way he did behind a fishbowl people would be rightly upset.
No for sure, he would do some downright cringey things like that huge hipcheck on Colborne or mixing it up after whistles, only to turtle after. It was almost a form of trolling. Miss those big hits though. Nice to see another habs fan with the same POV regarding this.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Well, I dislike both teams really, so I don't have any favoritism here.

I do wonder what Washington players were saying to Eller to prompt him to behave that way. I can't imagine he's just rubbing salt in their wounds for no reason.

With that being said: You can't just come up from behind a guy, throw your gloves off, grab him and start swinging just because he did something you don't like. Marchand got 4-5 punches off before Eller even got one of his gloves off. He was never even able to get his left glove off because of Marchand jumping him.

The officials should have broken it up when they saw that Eller clearly didn't want to fight him. Punk move by Marchand, as usual. Not sure if it warrants suspension, but it was a punk move.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
And for a guy who doesn't know the sport of baseball all that well, I didn't think the bat flip was that big of a deal, in fact I thought it was kind of cool.

Difference is, I fully admit I don't know the unwritten rules of baseball.

here is a beauty

Many, many years ago, Wayne Gross hit a home run off Ed Farmer and took his time running around the bases. Farmer was furious and wanted to retaliate, but being a reliever who often worked only one inning per game, he didn't face Gross again for three years. And when he did, it was spring training, and they were teammates. The first pitch in batting practice, Farmer hit Gross right in the middle of the back with a fastball at 90 mph.
"What was that for!" Gross screamed at Farmer.
"That was for three years ago!" Farmer yelled at Gross.
"OK," Gross said.
And then it was over.

and marchand is the one who is out of line ?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
You can tell there was nothing wrong with what happened when fans of other teams are defending Marchand - while those that think it was so egregious are simply - but it's Marchand.

Those kinda antics in blowout games get retribution all the time - and Reirdren probably laid down the law with Eller after the game also as it's frowned on and coaches know that this time, this situation it was Eller, but another team, another situation, they could've just as easily gone after Backstrom or Kuznetsov to prove the point.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
here is a beauty

Many, many years ago, Wayne Gross hit a home run off Ed Farmer and took his time running around the bases. Farmer was furious and wanted to retaliate, but being a reliever who often worked only one inning per game, he didn't face Gross again for three years. And when he did, it was spring training, and they were teammates. The first pitch in batting practice, Farmer hit Gross right in the middle of the back with a fastball at 90 mph.
"What was that for!" Gross screamed at Farmer.
"That was for three years ago!" Farmer yelled at Gross.
"OK," Gross said.
And then it was over.

and marchand is the one who is out of line ?
This is pretty much bang on with what I said in another forum.

I also used Baseball as an example.

You steal a bag late in a game when you're up 10-0, you're likely getting plunked next at bat, or the next time they play.
You bat flip a home run up 10-0 late in a game, you're likely getting plunked next at bat, or the next time they play.
You bunt for a hit up 10-0 late in a game, you're likely getting plunked next at bat, or the next time they play.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Well, I dislike both teams really, so I don't have any favoritism here.

I do wonder what Washington players were saying to Eller to prompt him to behave that way. I can't imagine he's just rubbing salt in their wounds for no reason.

With that being said: You can't just come up from behind a guy, throw your gloves off, grab him and start swinging just because he did something you don't like. Marchand got 4-5 punches off before Eller even got one of his gloves off. He was never even able to get his left glove off because of Marchand jumping him.

The officials should have broken it up when they saw that Eller clearly didn't want to fight him. Punk move by Marchand, as usual. Not sure if it warrants suspension, but it was a punk move.

He didn't..

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
What Marchand did, happens all the time. Eller was asking for it, showboating/taunting at 7-0. People love to hate, and this is one more excuse to hate Marchand. But I bet if the opposite happened, nobody would bat an eye.

lol Just imagine (people try to be honest here) if Marchand got is head opened for celebrating too much a 7th goal? "You just can't do that" , "The rat got what he deserved" , "Etc."

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I can't wait till Chara retires and some goon jumps and fills in that POS rat, you know it'll happen too, only a matter of time.

And he'll deserve it as well, considering the justification here is "Eller chirped and celebrated inappropriately," Marchand does something 10x as dangerous and stupid with regularity.

This theory that Chara is a magical protector of all Bruins is dumb and based on nothing. Although, maybe I should be fair. Maybe Chara wasn’t paying attention when Savard, Eriksson, Backes or Marchand have been flying elbowed (or a flying knee in Marchands case).

Reactions: Mully

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
He didn't..
Did you watch the "fight"? lol, Marchand had his glove off and grabbed Eller by the neck area before he was even in Eller's field of view...

upload_2018-10-5_11-24-58.png

1:15 Mark of the video Marchand comes from out of Eller's view, drops his left glove, and grabs Eller unexpectedly.

From 1:15 - 1:23 Marchand grabs Eller's jersey from the back area between the numbers and throws 3-5 punches before Eller is even able to get his right glove off. He's never even able to get his left glove off during the scuffle.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Did you watch the "fight"? lol, Marchand had his glove off and grabbed Eller by the neck area before he was even in Eller's field of view...

View attachment 144351
1:15 Mark of the video Marchand comes from out of Eller's view, drops his left glove, and grabs Eller unexpectedly.

From 1:15 - 1:23 Marchand grabs Eller's jersey from the back area between the numbers and throws 3-5 punches before Eller is even able to get his right glove off. He's never even able to get his left glove off during the scuffle.

He didn't 'jump him from behind'. he reaches in front of him, to square up..

Did you watch the 'fight'? if Eller can't see him, he has his eyes closed.

Reactions: Mully

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
He was never behind Eller, he's directly in front of him. He didn't 'jump him from behind'. he reaches in front of him, to square up..

Did you watch the 'fight'?
I literally just showed you a screenshot of Marchand coming at eller from behind... He even had to reach his arm out and in front of Eller to stop him so that he could grab him because he's coming from behind. The screenshot is literally right in front of your face....

Edit: Grabbing someone unexpectedly from behind/the side and then swinging them around is not being "directly in front" or "squaring up"... Watch the clip I just showed you. Marchand gets 3-5 punches in before Eller gets his gloves off. How exactly is this "squaring up" ?

Reactions: Doc McKenna

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
This is pretty much bang on with what I said in another forum.

I also used Baseball as an example.

You steal a bag late in a game when you're up 10-0, you're likely getting plunked next at bat, or the next time they play.
You bat flip a home run up 10-0 late in a game, you're likely getting plunked next at bat, or the next time they play.
You bunt for a hit up 10-0 late in a game, you're likely getting plunked next at bat, or the next time they play.

I think john smoltz also plunked a guy a year or two later based on some transgression. The guy had been traded in the interim and was playing for another team but if didnt matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad