OT: Blue Jays Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
My only concern is just not a lot of luck or what some call being "clutch" as their not hitting as well as last year with RISP.

And the other thing is the elevated strikeouts compared to last year.

I'm not sold it's that they don't have a good approach at the plate. If you're saying that, it's probably frustration out of the last few games and not looking at the last 2 years as a whole.

But they do seem to be swinging and missing more on good pitches that were hit hard last year.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Good god, this Jays outfield is awful!!

Watching Saunders saunter towards that ball Encarnacion couldn't get to made my blood boil. I'm not surprised though because I know how much he sucks.

Wtf with Upton though? We heard so much about how good this guy was defensively when he was acquired. He's a ****ing joke. Lazy as hell and even when he gets to a ball it's no guarantee he's going to make the play. I'd staple his ass to the bench if I was Gibbon's. I've seen enough of his garbage. I'd play Carrera or even Barney or Goins out there instead of him. At least those two give you everything they've got whenever they take the field.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Odd call on Navarro's infield fly.

Not sure how Ramirez caught the ball, Tulo was out for interference and Navarro got first.

E - Travis. The Jays defence is making me sad. :cry:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Good god, this Jays outfield is awful!!

Watching Saunders saunter towards that ball Encarnacion couldn't get to made my blood boil. I'm not surprised though because I know how much he sucks.

Wtf with Upton though? We heard so much about how good this guy was defensively when he was acquired. He's a ****ing joke. Lazy as hell and even when he gets to a ball it's no guarantee he's going to make the play. I'd staple his ass to the bench if I was Gibbon's. I've seen enough of his garbage. I'd play Carrera or even Barney or Goins out there instead of him. At least those two give you everything they've got whenever they take the field.

Agreed. Been saying this for a while but Gibbons thinks sharing a laugh in the dugout is what the doctor ordered. At least we won't have to watch him mismanage this team anymore. I'm sure he will wear this collapse when the dust settles. This isn't Mickey Mouse Edmonton with Katz and associates.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed. Been saying this for a while but Gibbons thinks sharing a laugh in the dugout is what the doctor ordered. At least we won't have to watch him mismanage this team anymore. I'm sure he will wear this collapse when the dust settles. This isn't Mickey Mouse Edmonton with Katz and associates.

Yeah, Gibbons is done with the Jays. Can't remember who thought Gibbons was going to leave of his own accord to another big league managing job is kidding themselves.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I am not surprised at all with this team.

Won 3 in their last 9 or 10 now, I guess.

Losing back to back series against Tampa and then New York, now running into a real team to expose their flaws.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Porcello is solid though. 20 wins leading the league.

That's one of the best contracts, four years at 82.5.

Gibbons throwing Sanchez in Sunday is crazy in my opinion.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Porcello is solid though. 20 wins leading the league.

That's one of the best contracts, four years at 82.5.

Gibbons throwing Sanchez in Sunday is crazy in my opinion.

Agreed Sanchez is on a decent contract for the Red Sox.

The Jays should be favoured on Saturday and Sunday with Happ and Sanchez starting.

Why do you think Sanchez shouldn't start on Sunday?

Zaun makes me laugh. He's not panicked right now. :shakehead

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Why do you think Sanchez shouldn't start on Sunday?

Zaun makes me laugh. He's not panicked right now. :shakehead

I am not saying that he should not start. I am no baseball guru by any means.

I just have not been impressed with Sanchez his last how many games, minus one recently where he didn't get run support but he played decent.

Its just that the bats aren't letting up for Boston so it will be a good challenge for him definitely.

Tomorrow will be a good challenge for Happ also, Boston are running hot and these games matter to both teams where more often than not the better team usually prevails.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I am not saying that he should not start. I am no baseball guru by any means.

I just have not been impressed with Sanchez his last how many games, minus one recently where he didn't get run support but he played decent.

Its just that the bats aren't letting up for Boston so it will be a good challenge for him definitely.

Tomorrow will be a good challenge for Happ also, Boston are running hot and these games matter to both teams where more often than not the better team usually prevails.

I hear you, but Happ is the only starter who has been remotely impressive during this horrendous streak.

Bad defence all around. Even if this team limps into the wildcard it could be one and done.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, Gibbons is done with the Jays. Can't remember who thought Gibbons was going to leave of his own accord to another big league managing job is kidding themselves.

No need to tip toe around the issue. Feel free to flame me. I can take it when I'm wrong.:laugh: Although in all fairness to me what I said was that if he won back to back division titles there'd be interest in him. He sure doesn't look as good with his team failing.

What I liked about him the most was that he's a players manager and when things are going well that's fine. When they aren't it's a disaster like it was the other night when he let Martin talk him into staying in the game when he was clearly injured. It annoyed the hell out of me too, watching him yuk it up with Upton in the dugout after the fans rightfully booed him for not giving a crap. Like I said earlier, Upton should be benched for his play, not coddled. I can begrudgingly live with mistakes made by players who are trying and just aren't good enough. What we're seeing from Upton is just disinterest.

While I will admit Gibbons has made a lot of decisions I don't agree with, this isn't all on him. Atkins and Shapiro deserve just as much of the blame as he does, as well as the players. The players haven't been good enough, not much the manager can do about that. He's been shuffling the lineup like crazy trying to find a combination that works. I don't think there is one this year. I don't think it's his fault that his starting pitching, which has been the team's strength all year, is finally running out of gas. He can only run out the players he has on his roster.

As far as management goes, bringing in Upton has been a disaster. Whoever called him a cooler the other night was bang on. His play and effort suck the life out of the rest of the team. He's brought the exact opposite of what Revere brought last year. He was a spark plug that brought energy to the lineup, fired everybody else up. The guys on the team drop their heads and their shoulders slump watching him play. Should have been a red flag when a team that grossly underachieved this year wanted to pay most of the salary of a veteran to get rid of him. That's the difference right now between this regime and the way Anthopolous ran things. AA worked hard to figure out what type of character guys had before he brought them in. Doesn't look like enough due diligence was done before that deal was done.

Other blunders by management hurt this team too. Taking forever to figure out what to do with Sanchez might have soured some players. From the sounds of things it was the players that got management to reconsider. If management doesn't care about winning, the players stop too.

The other thing that I think has conspired against them is the impending free agency status of Bautista and Encarnacion with it being reported recently that it's unlikely either will be back. I think that's caused he players to lose steam lately, especially with those two as they haven't hit well at all for the last month, although Bautista's health hasn't helped him.

I agree though, with the team faltering down the stretch and a rebuild of sorts on the horizon that it's likely that Gibbons will be finished here. I just don't agree that it's all his fault.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I hear you, but Happ is the only starter who has been remotely impressive during this horrendous streak.

Bad defence all around. Even if this team limps into the wildcard it could be one and done.

Happ hasn't looked good lately either. He was pulled after 2 2/3 innings and 85 pitches in his last start against Tampa. Who knows what they get from him tomorrow.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
No need to tip toe around the issue. Feel free to flame me. I can take it when I'm wrong.:laugh: Although in all fairness to me what I said was that if he won back to back division titles there'd be interest in him. He sure doesn't look as good with his team failing.

What I liked about him the most was that he's a players manager and when things are going well that's fine. When they aren't it's a disaster like it was the other night when he let Martin talk him into staying in the game when he was clearly injured. It annoyed the hell out of me too, watching him yuk it up with Upton in the dugout after the fans rightfully booed him for not giving a crap. Like I said earlier, Upton should be benched for his play, not coddled. I can begrudgingly live with mistakes made by players who are trying and just aren't good enough. What we're seeing from Upton is just disinterest.

While I will admit Gibbons has made a lot of decisions I don't agree with, this isn't all on him. Atkins and Shapiro deserve just as much of the blame as he does, as well as the players. The players haven't been good enough, not much the manager can do about that. He's been shuffling the lineup like crazy trying to find a combination that works. I don't think there is one this year. I don't think it's his fault that his starting pitching, which has been the team's strength all year, is finally running out of gas. He can only run out the players he has on his roster.

As far as management goes, bringing in Upton has been a disaster. Whoever called him a cooler the other night was bang on. His play and effort suck the life out of the rest of the team. He's brought the exact opposite of what Revere brought last year. He was a spark plug that brought energy to the lineup, fired everybody else up. The guys on the team drop their heads and their shoulders slump watching him play. Should have been a red flag when a team that grossly underachieved this year wanted to pay most of the salary of a veteran to get rid of him. That's the difference right now between this regime and the way Anthopolous ran things. AA worked hard to figure out what type of character guys had before he brought them in. Doesn't look like enough due diligence was done before that deal was done.

Other blunders by management hurt this team too. Taking forever to figure out what to do with Sanchez might have soured some players. From the sounds of things it was the players that got management to reconsider. If management doesn't care about winning, the players stop too.

The other thing that I think has conspired against them is the impending free agency status of Bautista and Encarnacion with it being reported recently that it's unlikely either will be back. I think that's caused he players to lose steam lately, especially with those two as they haven't hit well at all for the last month, although Bautista's health hasn't helped him.

I agree though, with the team faltering down the stretch and a rebuild of sorts on the horizon that it's likely that Gibbons will be finished here. I just don't agree that it's all his fault.

I honestly couldn't remember who it was who said Gibby would get another job. I could care less about calling people out for stuff like that. Good on you for owning up to it. :)

Upton shouldn't touch the field again for the Jays. If I understand the trade correctly the Jays are on the hook for ~ $3.5M to him next year. It's a lot of money but you gotta wonder if it's worth walking away from him altogether.

I wonder how much not re-signing Kawasaki hurt the team. He wasn't tough to replace on the field, but he brought such positive vibes to the team. Would love to see him win the Series with the Cubs.

Shapiro definitely deserves a ton of blame. (I don't really think Atkins has any real power with the Jays, kinda like Treliving with the Flames.) The way Shapiro handled Sanchez was horrible. I honestly wonder why they re-signed Dickey, but hindsight is 20/20 and nobody knew how well Sanchez would play. The Liriano and Benoit trades were positives.

I think (hope?) the Jays will make a very honest effort at holding onto Edwin. Bautista would be smart to let walk. I do not believe this year is an aberration for him. I truly think it is the start of a decline for him and whoever signs him will likely regret the deal relatively soon.

Happ hasn't looked good lately either. He was pulled after 2 2/3 innings and 85 pitches in his last start against Tampa. Who knows what they get from him tomorrow.

I know. Trying to find a little silver lining. Not that I'm happy to be right, but I have noticed the chicken little comments have stopped.

Oct 15, 2008
I heard Shapiro in an interview yesterday, it doesn't sound like he is going to be in on any of the Jays pending free agents.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I heard Shapiro in an interview yesterday, it doesn't sound like he is going to be in on any of the Jays pending free agents.

I don't think there's anyway his comments don't affect the team. They sure are playing like they are giving up. On the other hand though, who knows what to believe when this guy talks to the media. The last time I heard him open his mouth he was saying the decision was made that it was a done deal that Sanchez was going to the bullpen. Very next day It was announced that he wasn't. I don't want to call him a liar but he appears to be very flexible with the truth or just flat out incompetent.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think there's anyway his comments don't affect the team. They sure are playing like they are giving up. On the other hand though, who knows what to believe when this guy talks to the media. The last time I heard him open his mouth he was saying the decision was made that it was a done deal that Sanchez was going to the bullpen. Very next day It was announced that he wasn't. I don't want to call him a liar but he appears to be very flexible with the truth or just flat out incompetent.

That's a pretty harsh indictment. Maybe he got over ruled by ownership?

I wonder if players pay as much attention to media as people really think. So many say that they don't. It makes sense.

Shapiro gets a pass for this season. It will be interesting to see if ownership approves signing a big free agent of some sort.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That's a pretty harsh indictment. Maybe he got over ruled by ownership?

I wonder if players pay as much attention to media as people really think. So many say that they don't. It makes sense.

Shapiro gets a pass for this season. It will be interesting to see if ownership approves signing a big free agent of some sort.

Players don't need to pay attention to the media. They know exactly what's going on themselves. Bautista and Encarnacion know what their contracts status is and whether or not they'll be getting new deals. Makes sense to wonder how much of that stuff filters through the clubhouse. I know there was plenty of speculation before the season started that neither would be back next year, until they are actually gone though, there's still hope. Shapiro publicly saying he isn't likely to pursue either one of them in the midst of a pennant race doesn't serve any purpose other than to maybe cripple the team further. Even if the rest of the players were unclear of those guys status before they are now because of it. Could be why the team looked so lifeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad