OT: Blue Jays Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Players don't need to pay attention to the media. They know exactly what's going on themselves. Bautista and Encarnacion know what their contracts status is and whether or not they'll be getting new deals. Makes sense to wonder how much of that stuff filters through the clubhouse. I know there was plenty of speculation before the season started that neither would be back next year, until they are actually gone though, there's still hope. Shapiro publicly saying he isn't likely to pursue either one of them in the midst of a pennant race doesn't serve any purpose other than to maybe cripple the team further. Even if the rest of the players were unclear of those guys status before they are now because of it. Could be why the team looked so lifeless.

Just a little over-reaction. I would hope that the Jays try to sign Edwin.

Sure Edwin and Bautista might know whether or not they are going to get offers. Signed? Maybe not.

BJ redeems himself with a homer.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just a little over-reaction. I would hope that the Jays try to sign Edwin.

Sure Edwin and Bautista might know whether or not they are going to get offers. Signed? Maybe not.

BJ redeems himself with a homer.

How is that an over reaction? What possible positive effect can it have when the team president says it's unlikely he'll make serious offers to two of the teams best players during the middle of a pennant race? Same guy who didn't make an offer to David Price. You don't think that affects the team?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
How is that an over reaction? What possible positive effect can it have when the team president says it's unlikely he'll make serious offers to two of the teams best players during the middle of a pennant race? Same guy who didn't make an offer to David Price. You don't think that affects the team?

These negotiations are private. If you have some sort of inside information with the team verify that.

All of this supposed knowledge doesn't really conform with the publicly available information.

Bet money on the Yanks. Coming on, baby.:yo::handclap:

Tanaka vs. Archer is a good bet.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Wow major over reacting around here, lots of season left. Upton was the jays best player today, offence needs to be better. Really surprised they can't seem to hit lefties anymore

Oct 15, 2008
These negotiations are private. If you have some sort of inside information with the team verify that.

All of this supposed knowledge doesn't really conform with the publicly available information.

Shapiro said he hadn't had any formal discussions with any agents of the pending free agents. I can't quote verbatim bit the just was he expects ALL of them to test the free agent waters. He didn't seem overly concerned. Sounds to me the decision has been already made.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Shapiro said he hadn't had any formal discussions with any agents of the pending free agents. I can't quote verbatim bit the just was he expects ALL of them to test the free agent waters. He didn't seem overly concerned. Sounds to me the decision has been already made.

That's a far cry from saying Shapiro isn't likely to pursue any of the pending free agents. It's pretty standard rhetoric from the team side at this point in negotiations.

Wow major over reacting around here, lots of season left. Upton was the jays best player today, offence needs to be better. Really surprised they can't seem to hit lefties anymore

Upton is such an infuriating player. Very Jekyll and Hyde. Good to see him have a good day after such a bad day yesterday.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
That was a nice game to make me feel a little better about things.

Hopefully they can take the series and tie up the division tomorrow. On paper they have a massive pitching advantage.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That was a nice game to make me feel a little better about things.

Hopefully they can take the series and tie up the division tomorrow. On paper they have a massive pitching advantage.

For sure. Buchholz is having a bad year. Although his one start since they put him back in the rotation was pretty solid. If Sanchez is back in form then the Jays should be able to tie the division as you say.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hill pitching a perfect game for the Dodgers through 7 innings and gets pulled after throwing 89 pitches. Gotta feel for the guy.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

That's the take I got from it too.

I didn't think much of his comment about how maybe they'll look around and resign with Toronto anyway. Outside of Davis going back to Baltimore last offseason, there hasn't been much of a history of that happening. After not even making an offer to Price last offseason, I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't make a serious offer to keep Encarnacion.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I didn't think much of his comment about how maybe they'll look around and resign with Toronto anyway. Outside of Davis going back to Baltimore last offseason, there hasn't been much of a history of that happening. After not even making an offer to Price last offseason, I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't make a serious offer to keep Encarnacion.

I really think he will seriously try and keep Edwin.

No reason to go full re-build. If they can replace Edwin with a similar salary plus someone to replace Bautista at $15 M per year it is probably best in the long run for the team.

Starting pitching is solid. Only really need to replace Dickey, who has been a waste of money this year

Oct 15, 2008
You are arguably correct. I really hope you feel vindicated by that.

Any actual comment on today's game? Did you watch it?

You were pretty much calling me a liar. Arguing about something you never saw or heard yourself.

No, I don't really feel like having a back and forth with someone who treats myself or others like that.

Oct 15, 2008

I don't think EE will be back. I see him going to the Red Sox to replace Ortiz. That will be a tough pill to swallow for sure.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think EE will be back. I see him going to the Red Sox to replace Ortiz. That will be a tough pill to swallow for sure.
I could see the Sox wanting that scenario but what would be the motivation for EE. The Blue Jays should be able to match anything money wise. I personally think EE will get big money from the Jays and Joey goes to the highest bidder.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

I see Saunders, Bautista, and Dickey gone. I think 90% chance EE is back he's productive and he is a fan favourite and essential to winning. Jose's big issue is defense and also he's having a off year, but he's a clean up hitter. This year you have arguably Martin, Donaldson, and Edwin as cleanup, and better at it.

I see this team better off if possible to going out and getting a more versatile hitter and position player. I also see them going for starting pitching. Still a very young staff, and the thing that always hurts them is letting games get out of hand that 13-3 game gets way out of hand, same with a game against Tampa recently and one against KC.

As another poster said in order to win they need to not play themselves out of games. Today was a fundamentally sound game, didn't need insurance runs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I could live with them losing Encarnacion if they made a real effort to keep him and he turned them down. They didn't even make an offer to Price. If the same thing happens with Encarnacion, I'll be upset. From what we've been led to believe, there have been no offers yet. After what Shapiro said yesterday, there might not be one coming at all.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I see Saunders, Bautista, and Dickey gone. I think 90% chance EE is back he's productive and he is a fan favourite and essential to winning. Jose's big issue is defense and also he's having a off year, but he's a clean up hitter. This year you have arguably Martin, Donaldson, and Edwin as cleanup, and better at it.

I see this team better off if possible to going out and getting a more versatile hitter and position player. I also see them going for starting pitching. Still a very young staff, and the thing that always hurts them is letting games get out of hand that 13-3 game gets way out of hand, same with a game against Tampa recently and one against KC.

As another poster said in order to win they need to not play themselves out of games. Today was a fundamentally sound game, didn't need insurance runs.
As long as they actually go out and do something it's fine. Losing Bautista and Encarnacion and replacing them with Upton who is under contract next year and Smoak who they just signed for two years is not. That's my fear here. I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not as confident as you that Rogers is interested in spending a bunch to try to keep the team competitive. I've been under the impression for a while that this was the final year for the budget to be where it's at. Lots of big contracts coming off the books. Hoping things have changed due to the big crowds at the park and the tv ratings but we won't know for sure until we see what they try to do this winter.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I could see the Sox wanting that scenario but what would be the motivation for EE. The Blue Jays should be able to match anything money wise. I personally think EE will get big money from the Jays and Joey goes to the highest bidder.

That's why I think Edwin will be back. Lots depends on who the new manager is and what Edwin thinks of him.

As long as they actually go out and do something it's fine. Losing Bautista and Encarnacion and replacing them with Upton who is under contract next year and Smoak who they just signed for two years is not. That's my fear here. I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not as confident as you that Rogers is interested in spending a bunch to try to keep the team competitive. I've been under the impression for a while that this was the final year for the budget to be where it's at. Lots of big contracts coming off the books. Hoping things have changed due to the big crowds at the park and the tv ratings but we won't know for sure until we see what they try to do this winter.

IF they lose Edwin they gotta get somebody better than Upton or Smoak

You were pretty much calling me a liar. Arguing about something you never saw or heard yourself.

No, I don't really feel like having a back and forth with someone who treats myself or others like that.

You took my question as 'pretty much' calling you a liar. Right. :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

There going to lose 14 MIL for Bautista, 12 MIL for Dickey, and 2.9 MIL for Saunders. All guys imo who have been sporadic (will need to replace Dickey with someone) but that could easily just be Lariano (I definitely think he's your #5 next year low risk, with looking for a #3-4 starter).

Close to 30MIL of the books, EE is making 10 MIL could see him doubling his salary. The thing is he's never played hardball with the team. Bautista will get 25 MIL somewhere, and stated he won't take a discount. Plus with Donaldson in a years time needing a pay raise I think your dumb to lose other players, and how many cleanup homerun style hitters do you need.

That's about 15 MIL (counting EE's potential salary) left, and I think you can find a starting pitcher for the 3rd or 4th spot, the thing is guys in those spots are relatively cheap this free agency. No one out there having career years. The issue is having Devon Travis type hitters guys who hit you doubles, or can get on base. See Upton having a better year next year. It was almost a blessing seeing Bautista not do good this year, because as a team you evaluate if it was a loss or a gain. The Jays don't lose to many games because of hitting it's because of starting pitching not going deep enough into games thus relying on mid relievers who can't get it to the 8th, 9th innings.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
There going to lose 14 MIL for Bautista, 12 MIL for Dickey, and 2.9 MIL for Saunders. All guys imo who have been sporadic (will need to replace Dickey with someone) but that could easily just be Lariano (I definitely think he's your #5 next year low risk, with looking for a #3-4 starter).

Close to 30MIL of the books, EE is making 10 MIL could see him doubling his salary. The thing is he's never played hardball with the team. Bautista will get 25 MIL somewhere, and stated he won't take a discount. Plus with Donaldson in a years time needing a pay raise I think your dumb to lose other players, and how many cleanup homerun style hitters do you need.

That's about 15 MIL (counting EE's potential salary) left, and I think you can find a starting pitcher for the 3rd or 4th spot, the thing is guys in those spots are relatively cheap this free agency. No one out there having career years. The issue is having Devon Travis type hitters guys who hit you doubles, or can get on base. See Upton having a better year next year. It was almost a blessing seeing Bautista not do good this year, because as a team you evaluate if it was a loss or a gain. The Jays don't lose to many games because of hitting it's because of starting pitching not going deep enough into games thus relying on mid relievers who can't get it to the 8th, 9th innings.

I think Edwin will most likely get 25M. Which the Jays should do. He is worth that in the modern game. Agreed Bautista will get 25M, which will be a bad contract whoever signs him.

There should be a lot of options for that 3rd or 4th starter role.

Happ/Sanchez/FA/Stroman/Estrada.

If Edwin re-signs then it shouldn't be too tough to contend again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad