OT: Blue Jays Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

It doesn't magically make you a better player but it does make your body feel better. If your body is feeling healthier and you don't have aches and pains you can play better. My guess is this is why many guys try to get away with taking them in the first place. For a fringe guy to stop taking it probably affects their performance a great deal.

Another solid game from Happ.

His numbers have been stellar since August, but I still thought it was kind of funny how Pat and Buck were basically saying that the Jays ended up with the better left-hander in regards to Happ and David Price haha.

Yeah, I remember people questioning the Happ signing over the off-season. Seven innings from him was great.

Price is the better player, just having a slow start so far. This was a smart move by Shapiro. Gots to stay within budget.

Best part of today for me was seeing Tulo get three hits.

It's scary to think this team is not hitting well and still third in the league in scoring (a run out of first in that category). Granted, they have played more games than anyone else but they haven't played that many more and Baltimore is the only team behind them that is close.

No need for the Jays to panic. Today shows what this team is capable of and is a blueprint for winning the division again.

Jays still remain a powerhouse.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Things are starting to come together. Carerra had a very nice weekend, the pitching has been solid. I like what I'm seeing from this team knowing they can be even better.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Things are starting to come together. Carerra had a very nice weekend, the pitching has been solid. I like what I'm seeing from this team knowing they can be even better.

Indeed. The pitching kept them treading water. The bats have finally started coming around.

Tough series coming up against the White Sox...

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I don't think the starters are the problem. That bullpen though, everyone thought it was their weakness but it's been flat out poor.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
I don't think the starters are the problem. That bullpen though, everyone thought it was their weakness but it's been flat out poor.

4 out of the 5 starters are not the problem. Dickey Is just completely ineffective now, and he is getting to the age where Dickey in April might be Dickey in July.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
4 out of the 5 starters are not the problem. Dickey Is just completely ineffective now, and he is getting to the age where Dickey in April might be Dickey in July.

This is my concern with him too. I'm not buying into the blabber some people are pushing that because he was garbage early last season and settled down later that it's a guarantee that it's going to happen again. What bothers me about having him on the roster is the complete lack of confidence Gibbon's had in him last October. Throwing him out there because he had no other option and no faith at all in his knuckleball.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm a little confused as to why Storen is pitching the ninth inning of a blow out loss.

I don't know that he's worked in a few days, so probably just to give him work.

Series with the Chi-Sox was a little frustrating, but it's still early. I'm not too worried. I can't imagine the Bullpen is this bad all season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't know that he's worked in a few days, so probably just to give him work.

Series with the Chi-Sox was a little frustrating, but it's still early. I'm not too worried. I can't imagine the Bullpen is this bad all season.

Still doesn't make much sense to me. They have another game today. Why run the risk of tiring him out when he might be needed right away in a meaningful game?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Still doesn't make much sense to me. They have another game today. Why run the risk of tiring him out when he might be needed right away in a meaningful game?

I don't know that one inning will tire out Storen, he's probably going to have 80+ appearances. He was probably due throwing day, you know the simulated game type, so they had a chance to replace that in game.

It's a baseball thing to do. I can't imagine they would want a guy like Storen to not pitch for too long.

It's like with Osuna, if he didn't have to save a game in like 3 or 4, he would probably get an inning of work just to stay in the game.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Cecil's dreadful performance Monday sealed the loss on Tuesday. After a terribly deflating loss, then coming back up against Chicago's ace, no surprise they were blown out yesterday.

Need to salvage this series somehow. Estrada will have to throw early strikes, and hopefully Martin can draw back in the lineup. Josh Thole doesn't belong in the big leagues. He's been painful to watch these last few games

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Sox improved vastly, they did not have to add too much since their young guns were only improving.

Great test early on for the Jays.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Cecil's dreadful performance Monday sealed the loss on Tuesday. After a terribly deflating loss, then coming back up against Chicago's ace, no surprise they were blown out yesterday.

Need to salvage this series somehow. Estrada will have to throw early strikes, and hopefully Martin can draw back in the lineup. Josh Thole doesn't belong in the big leagues. He's been painful to watch these last few games

Cecil has been sheer and utter garbage so far his year. You can't really on all your starters to give you all quality stars so to be a playoff team the bull pen, both long relief, set up and closer have to be good, or at the least average. One has to hope that 'Gibby' doesn't stick too long with guys that are not doing it.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Cecil has been sheer and utter garbage so far his year. You can't really on all your starters to give you all quality stars so to be a playoff team the bull pen, both long relief, set up and closer have to be good, or at the least average. One has to hope that 'Gibby' doesn't stick too long with guys that are not doing it.

The bullpen has been an issuefor years, but usually they've been able to rely on at least one Lefty to be fairly automatic. Used to be Scott Downs for a few years, then Darren Oliver, Loup was serviceable for a while (not including last year), then the emergence of Cecil in 2013.

But this year with Loup hurt (and likely scarred from 2015) and Cecil struggling, there's nobody but Venditte (sp?). It's a huge issue right now. I can count at least 7 games that the pen, and specifically lack of quality lefties have cost the jays. The Jays need a lefty reliever like the oilers need a RH Dman.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The bullpen has been an issuefor years, but usually they've been able to rely on at least one Lefty to be fairly automatic. Used to be Scott Downs for a few years, then Darren Oliver, Loup was serviceable for a while (not including last year), then the emergence of Cecil in 2013.

But this year with Loup hurt (and likely scarred from 2015) and Cecil struggling, there's nobody but Venditte (sp?). It's a huge issue right now. I can count at least 7 games that the pen, and specifically lack of quality lefties have cost the jays. The Jays need a lefty reliever like the oilers need a RH Dman.

Venditte sent down to Buffalo today so the lefty problem is even worse now.

As a side note: does anybody else think Brett Lawrie looks a lot smaller now then he did when he was playing for the Jays?

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Cecil will be fine.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Venditte sent down to Buffalo today so the lefty problem is even worse now.

As a side note: does anybody else think Brett Lawrie looks a lot smaller now then he did when he was playing for the Jays?

I wonder if that experiment is over.

Being a switch pitcher is a neat gimmick, but I'd rather have a guy who is at least effective with one arm.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
I wonder if that experiment is over.

Being a switch pitcher is a neat gimmick, but I'd rather have a guy who is at least effective with one arm.

Yeah, he just doesn't seem to have major league stuff. He should be a good minor league/independent leagues draw though. (Like that one guy who could do cool tricks with his bat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad