Speculation: Blackhawks GM search

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Any good PR by hiring a female GM won't last very long if the team continues to suck.
I don't care if it's Tulsky, Resch, or whoever and I don't give a damn about the color of their skin or what chromosomes they have.
Results are how the team will be judged.

Edit: Just no Chia.
Exactly. The BEST person please regardless of color or chromosome.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Whoever gets the job is going to be responsible for assembling a scouting staff and making trades. Familiarity with the potential scouting hires and potential players being procured is simply a must.

I have no idea how anyone here thinks a hiring from outside hockey is a good idea.
There already is 2 different AGM firmly in charge of scouting/development apart from Davidson. People act like Davidson was the sole AGM under Stan but when he was promoted, they made 3 Assistant Manager spots. There's already People with experience in charge of these departments.

I feel way too many people are ignoring how their structure is set up for what won't be possible to be massively changed instantly in a during season hire.

Maybe in the offseason that changes, but they're not joining a structures connection blank unit that is cheap and barren.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
There already is 2 different AGM firmly in charge of scouting/development apart from Davidson. People act like Davidson was the sole AGM under Stan but when he was promoted, they made 3 Assistant Manager spots. There's already People with experience in charge of these departments.

I feel way too many people are ignoring how their structure is set up for what won't be possible to be massively changed instantly in a during season hire.

Maybe in the offseason that changes, but they're not joining a structures connection blank unit that is cheap and barren.

hire tulsky, let him work the deadline and revamp the departments in the summer, anybody that has been from 2018-2020 should be shown the door

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
hire tulsky, let him work the deadline and revamp the departments in the summer, anybody that has been from 2018-2020 should be shown the door
They aren't in charge of demanding Stan buy in, rebuild, buy in. In 3 consecutive years

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
They aren't in charge of demanding Stan buy in, rebuild, buy in. In 3 consecutive years

so stan was the only one that was responsible for years of mostly poor drafting and development, horrible pro scouting, etc? unlikely, this org needs a total overhaul

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
so stan was the only one that was responsible for years of mostly poor drafting and development, horrible pro scouting, etc? unlikely, this org needs a total overhaul
Well, yes. There's some things they've drafted or developed well, undersized skill forwards, but rushing to make guys play in the NHL sooner and develop there was entirely a Stan thing. He talked all about it on his media tours so it's not like you can blame anyone under him.

New people come in but nowhere in any real way does cleaning house happen or need to happen in these cases.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Resch would be a lateral move.

If her tag was player development, drafted players under her watch became better once they left Toronto. The raptors don’t have the best track record when it comes to drafting.

Won a championship with an unstoppable Kawhi in his prime. That’s about it. The modern day Jerry Krause yet only sustained it for one year then turned the team into dog shit and lucked into a top four pick last year and still passed on two better players in Giddey and Franz.

Easy pass

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
There's actually been some buzz that maybe she would become the first woman GM in the NBA.

It's true, there's no hockey experience on her resume

Yup, that's exactly what someone is looking for to manage their $1.4B club. Someone who hasn't reached the top job in their field so let's give them a crack in another field.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Yup, that's exactly what someone is looking for to manage their $1.4B club. Someone who hasn't reached the top job in their field so let's give them a crack in another field.

Don’t let facts get in the way or anything.

If she was going to be a GM she would have been one after the Craptors won their championship.

Picking up Kawhi was such a under the radar move and all…

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Yup, that's exactly what someone is looking for to manage their $1.4B club. Someone who hasn't reached the top job in their field
Hey, Einstein, in case you haven't noticed, the Blackhawks have only interviewed one candidate that has reached the top job in their field.

That person? Peter Chiarelli.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Hey, Einstein, in case you haven't noticed, the Blackhawks have only interviewed one candidate that has reached the top job in their field.

That person? Peter Chiarelli.

Hey Twostein, people get promoted in their field all the time. Crossing over and getting the top job? Yeah right

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Why do we want a GM that has no hockey background again? Wouldn’t want the cubs guy or the raptors girl. Zero connections in the league. No idea about scouting which we need going forward.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Why do we want a GM that has no hockey background again? Wouldn’t want the cubs guy or the raptors girl. Zero connections in the league. No idea about scouting which we need going forward.
The whole point is both of them do know about scouting heavily, about taking a view of using eye test and data to analyze results. Looking at data of what made scouting hits and failures of the past stand out and using that for future picks.

It's not like it's a one person solo doing a job of making decisions, there's connections from the front office already.

Reactions: d rake

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Danny Wirtz mentioned that they are using these interviews to make sure they are looking at absolutely everything and not just how they do things in hockey. I don't think this is a bad thing as they could open up new ways to analyze, train, test, and approach how they do things. If they gain even the smallest new advantage it is worth it imo.

Reactions: plasmonresonance

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Interview them, but in the end you hire the best person that has a hockey background. I don't think a NBA background will help with the NHL...

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Interview them, but in the end you hire the best person that has a hockey background. I don't think a NBA background will help with the NHL...
Backwards logic.

Krause was a baseball scout, became a successful GM building a team around the GOAT, then went back to baseball. It’s 2022, scouts are paid to find athletes and if anybody doesn’t think a scout can transition no matter what sport then that’s all on that person.

Greenberg is 100% responsible for the Cubs currently having one of the better stacked lower minors. If the guy can find talent in 17 and 18 year olds that pretty much says he’s a decent choice and better then the useless stooges running the Hawks drafts currently.

It’s not like finding a hockey player is some secret formula only hockey fans can decipher or these guys with degrees are suddenly dumb or anything

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Backwards logic.

Krause was a baseball scout, became a successful GM building a team around the GOAT, then went back to baseball. It’s 2022, scouts are paid to find athletes and if anybody doesn’t think a scout can transition no matter what sport then that’s all on that person.

Greenberg is 100% responsible for the Cubs currently having one of the better stacked lower minors. If the guy can find talent in 17 and 18 year olds that pretty much says he’s a decent choice and better then the useless stooges running the Hawks drafts currently.

It’s not like finding a hockey player is some secret formula only hockey fans can decipher or these guys with degrees are suddenly dumb or anything
This will not change my opinion...

I don't want my GM without any Hockey Background. This isn't baseball and finding athlets won't help that much... considering this sport is played on ice.

Hear what they have to say and offer, take some advice or something out of their opinions but in the end, you hire a guy that knows Hockey and can see talent/build a team.

Krause had a basketball background and was part time scout for the Lakers while working in the MLB... that's not even close to the same.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
If the guy can find talent in 17 and 18 year olds that pretty much says he’s a decent choice

Finding talented athletes aged 16, 17 or 18 is not the difficult part. Deciding between the talented as to which will go on to be a good/great pro is the difference between a good scout and a bad scout. Not easy.

Now try and do it w/o the experience and knowledge of the intricacies of said field and I think you're courting trouble.

Reactions: Bubba88

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
This will not change my opinion...

I don't want my GM without any Hockey Background. This isn't baseball and finding athlets won't help that much... considering this sport is played on ice.

Hear what they have to say and offer, take some advice or something out of their opinions but in the end, you hire a guy that knows Hockey and can see talent/build a team.

Krause had a basketball background and was part time scout for the Lakers while working in the MLB... that's not even close to the same.
Finding athletes is the same in any sport.

Again, somebody with an eye for talent isn’t going to suddenly lose that skill with a sheet of ice in front of them.

It’s like saying somebody who’s good at Pac-Man shouldn’t be allowed to play donkey Kong or wouldn’t be good playing it. Look at Billy Mitchell.

As for Krause, yes, it’s the same. I’m not a fan of the guy but he had an eye for talent in two sports and there’s more then just him who scouted multiple sports. Jim Hendry also scouted a couple sports and him sure there’s a lot of scouts who started in one sport and moved to another.

Chias a hockey guy. I don’t want him anywhere near this team. He’s a better option then somebody with even a shred of success in another sport? That’s lol worthy

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Finding talented athletes aged 16, 17 or 18 is not the difficult part. Deciding between the talented as to which will go on to be a good/great pro is the difference between a good scout and a bad scout. Not easy.

Now try and do it w/o the experience and knowledge of the intricacies of said field and I think you're courting trouble.
If that’s the case, the Raptors person should be last on the list considering everyone she developed got better once they left the Raptors.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Backwards logic.

The GOAT was drafted before Krause got there and the only two players he drafted that were worth a damn were Pippen (who he traded for) and Horace Grant (who was only an all star in his final season with the Bulls). I give Jordan way more credit for being Jordan than Krause. He was the one who made Scottie great by challenging him and we all know how weak minded Scottie is/was when he didn't get his way.

If Krause was this genius GM, he would've built the Bulls back up after Jordan retired the second time. But hey.. I'm sure the two twin towers who he hyped up considerably (Chandler, Curry) will someday be hall of famers right....

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The whole point is both of them do know about scouting heavily, about taking a view of using eye test and data to analyze results. Looking at data of what made scouting hits and failures of the past stand out and using that for future picks.

It's not like it's a one person solo doing a job of making decisions, there's connections from the front office already.

why would you default to people with no nhl experience when tulsky has like 8 years experience in the league and brings the analytical data driven background, all else equal tulsky should be the hire

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
the only reason i can see them not hiring tulsky is because he wouldn't bring the same splash as the toronto exec, he's just some smart guy that was into numbers and hockey and built a career off his public research on analytics, there's not a story to it like the rise of a female exec from a different sport becoming the first female gm in the 4 major sports, but he's more qualified than anybody that they've interviewed which might speak to the fact that the list isn't that great

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
The GOAT was drafted before Krause got there and the only two players he drafted that were worth a damn were Pippen (who he traded for) and Horace Grant (who was only an all star in his final season with the Bulls). I give Jordan way more credit for being Jordan than Krause. He was the one who made Scottie great by challenging him and we all know how weak minded Scottie is/was when he didn't get his way.

If Krause was this genius GM, he would've built the Bulls back up after Jordan retired the second time. But hey.. I'm sure the two twin towers who he hyped up considerably (Chandler, Curry) will someday be hall of famers right....

Damn. I wonder who drafted that HoFer Toni Kukoc…

And Krause drafted a team around Jordan not once, but twice. This “Jordan made Pippen” thing is fun to speculate but it doesn’t happen if Krause doesn’t draft him and if I recall it was an out there pick at the time.

I seem to recall BJ Armstrong being an all star and key player off the bench, not counting all the pieces Krause picked up.

As for the twin towers, Chandler was a stud. DPoY one year and how many defensive teams did he win? Five? Six? That was a rock solid pick. And Curry had heart issues and wasn’t developed enough at 19 but was projecting upward at 25 until his health started failing him. That wasn’t Krause fault. His problem was picking a nobody coach who ran the triple post but drafted players who wernt smart enough to play it.

Lol at Krause not drafting Kukoc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad