Speculation: Blackhawks GM search

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Laz mentioned that Friedman has reporting that Danny wants to go with Davidson but Faulkner still isn’t convinced

Why would her input be a road block? The press release for her hiring:

After spending the last seven years as the CEO of E15, an analytics company for Compass Group, Faulkner's primary responsibilities will include "advancing the fan experience and business model while generating new revenue through her oversight of strategy and operations across corporate partnerships, ticketing and customer relations, and integrated marketing communications," according to the team's press release.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

After spending the last seven years as the CEO of E15, an analytics company for Compass Group, Faulkner's primary responsibilities will include "advancing the fan experience and business model while generating new revenue through her oversight of strategy and operations across corporate partnerships, ticketing and customer relations, and integrated marketing communications," according to the team's press release.
I'm a little surprised she has much say in the hiring. I also thought she was hired to take care of the business side of it, not the hockey side of it. This should be a hockey decision, not a pr decision.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I don’t know.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Laz mentioned that Friedman has reporting that Danny wants to go with Davidson but Faulkner still isn’t convinced
Well then thank god for Faulkner.

Davidson would be an awful choice and obviously a result of bias since he's been in the organization for a while.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Why do we want a GM that has no hockey background again? Wouldn’t want the cubs guy or the raptors girl. Zero connections in the league. No idea about scouting which we need going forward.
Greenbergs family is in hockey.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Well then thank god for Faulkner.

Davidson would be an awful choice and obviously a result of bias since he's been in the organization for a while.

I concur. The Hawks really need to hire a GM with no ties....at all........to the organization. A new set of eyes, a blank slate. A GM who can come in and make the changes this organization needs. No offense to Danny but no Wirtz should be a part of the decision making because their judgment, as a whole, is questionable at best. Maybe Danny is different, but the organization can't risk it. Let Faulkner make the decision and the Wirtz simply just sign off on it.

Davidson, imo, cannot be the GM past this season.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Has an engineering background. Probably more intelligent and hockey smart than 99% of hfboards
Scott currently works as an engineer in Traverse City, MI. He also does a hockey podcast that is pretty entertaining and completely family-friendly. My son and I listen to it on our drives for his hockey practices.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
This organization now is preaching equality. And Danny does not seem to be like his father for example (which is good news). I can see him giving Faulkner more of a say then we might know.

The reality is that Danny could be the one making the final call but since Faulkner isn't on board, he is willing to stand pat and listen to her input. I mean, isn't that what you want in an organization?

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
To what extent and why does that make him qualified? My biggest thing is him not having connections in the league. He’d be starting from scratch in that regard.
Didn’t Danny Wirtz describe him as a hockey guy who happens to work in baseball, or something like that, in his interview with Kaplan?

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Didn’t Danny Wirtz describe him as a hockey guy who happens to work in baseball, or something like that, in his interview with Kaplan?
Isn’t he the one who was a goalie and played at penn st when they were just a club program? Think he may have even been a captain fwiw. Seems like he is indeed a hockey guy that found is way into baseball.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

I'm not sure I didn't see that interview and can't find anything on him hockey related. Are you really a hockey guy if you've worked in baseball for 15 years?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm not sure I didn't see that interview and can't find anything on him hockey related. Are you really a hockey guy if you've worked in baseball for 15 years?
Yes? I'm not sure what it is you or some people even want when you say have connections.

Why do you want connections to the old boys clubs? Or do you want them to know guys from clubs to hire, which not even anyone could do this season. And if they're really changing how things run from their organization research, there will be change around guys in staff.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Yes? I'm not sure what it is you or some people even want when you say have connections.

Why do you want connections to the old boys clubs? Or do you want them to know guys from clubs to hire, which not even anyone could do this season. And if they're really changing how things run from their organization research, there will be change around guys in staff.

1. Guys who have been working in a NHL front office will know more people around the NHL than a person from the MLB. Pretty straight forward.
2. I don't want any part of the old boys club but I still want someone who has NHL experience. Out of the people interviewed that would be Tulsky.
3. Most of the hiring will be in the offseason so I'd hope whoever we hire gets a 4-5 year plan but could turn into a 10 year plan and another GM if they screw it up. Seems like a gamble with the state of the franchise to go outside the box but I'd love if Greenberg proves me wrong if they hire him.

Why is it such a bad thing to have doubts about an outside league hire? Seems like a fair gripe to me.

Reactions: MileHighHawksFan

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
1. Guys who have been working in a NHL front office will know more people around the NHL than a person from the MLB. Pretty straight forward.
2. I don't want any part of the old boys club but I still want someone who has NHL experience. Out of the people interviewed that would be Tulsky.
3. Most of the hiring will be in the offseason so I'd hope whoever we hire gets a 4-5 year plan but could turn into a 10 year plan and another GM if they screw it up. Seems like a gamble with the state of the franchise to go outside the box but I'd love if Greenberg proves me wrong if they hire him.

Why is it such a bad thing to have doubts about an outside league hire? Seems like a fair gripe to me.

It is a fair gripe.

Hiring someone without a significant hockey/NHL background is a potential disaster. As someone mentioned earlier ITT, why would you hire a doctor to be your lawyer?

Even a guy like Tulsky IMO needs someone who can help him navigate and avoid the land mines.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00