Speculation: Blackhawks GM search

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I was reading on TSN I think that Hawks are leaning towards the 'non-conventional' hiring. What that means is anyone's guess but it scares the shit out of me.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I was reading on TSN I think that Hawks are leaning towards the 'non-conventional' hiring. What that means is anyone's guess but it scares the shit out of me.

hopefully means tulsky but why would he be considered a non-conventional when he has worked for carolina for a long time and is their agm, guy from the cubs fits the bill being a cross sport hire with no nhl experience, that's not a conventional hire...

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
So just a thought on Eric Tulsky

I watched the ensightful video of Eric Tulsky, very informative, talked about player analysis among other things

What got me excited was that I remembered in the 2020 draft I had Chicago picking Noel Gunler at 17, if they traded up to take Seth Jarvis and if they traded down to pick JJ Petruka

Well the Hawks stayed at 17 and took Lukas Reichel(which I’m fine with) but Carolina who Tulsky works and probably had some input on drafted Seth Jarvis at 13 and Noel Gunler at 41…they got two players I liked…

So I’m on board with Eric Tulsky

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
A little sidenote humor while the board waits for news:

This dude is an analytics guy with UM hockey....:laugh:

Exhibit #203 of why I don't trust the spreadsheet guys.....they can be just as delusional as anyone.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
A little sidenote humor while the board waits for news:

This dude is an analytics guy with UM hockey....:laugh:

Exhibit #203 of why I don't trust the spreadsheet guys.....they can be just as delusional as anyone.

you can't write off analytics because someone lacks ability to use the right inputs for a model...he used his own shooting percentages to run a sim which is obv going to lead to worthless output...and its an undergrad student, not someone with years of professional experience like tulsky

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Anyway, the only reason I've wandered into this thread is cause apparently ya'll are interested in a Raptors exec for your vacant GM position? Interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Anyway, the only reason I've wandered into this thread is cause apparently ya'll are interested in a Raptors exec for your vacant GM position? Interesting to say the least.
We also interviewed an assistant GM of the Cubs a week or two ago.

Don't know why we can't keep with people involved with the game of hockey, but whatever, still better than Chia.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Blackhawks reportedly eyeing Raptors executive Teresa Resch for open GM job

Let's f****ing go!!

It's about damn time.

All this talk of diversity and making change to the culture of hockey, and all we've seen so far is Chicago interviewing one old white guy after another.

Now's a chance to make history. The first woman GM in NHL history.

Not only that, Teresa Resch of the Toronto Raptors.

I'm a die hard Raptors fan. This woman was handpicked by Masai Ujiri, the king of the NBA. There is no greater endorsement than a stamp of approval from Masai Ujiri.

This is the way.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Blackhawks reportedly eyeing Raptors executive Teresa Resch for open GM job

Let's f****ing go!!

It's about damn time.

All this talk of diversity and making change to the culture of hockey, and all we've seen so far is Chicago interviewing one old white guy after another.

Now's a chance to make history. The first woman GM in NHL history.

Not only that, Teresa Resch of the Toronto Raptors.

I'm a die hard Raptors fan. This woman was handpicked by Masai Ujiri, the king of the NBA. There is no greater endorsement than a stamp of approval from Masai Ujiri.

This is the way.
Welcome back, Musto!

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
If they go with Resch then I assume Davidson stays to help on the hokey side of things. Still s=rather have tulsky as we need more than a shiny off the board selection. We need someone with a hockey plan FFS.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If they go with Resch then I assume Davidson stays to help on the hokey side of things. Still s=rather have tulsky as we need more than a shiny off the board selection. We need someone with a hockey plan FFS.

could make the argument that if they go the direction you noted then the hire is sort of pr more than anything, sure the hire will have an impact on the organization and make decisions down the road but to assume someone from the nba is going to come in and make big strategic decisions around the roster immediately is debateable...its more or less extending davidson by hiring a non-nhl hire and maybe the person grows into the role and has a voice beyond high level direction of org but at first glance its a pr move...hire tulsky and let him clean house if you really want to make a hockey hire

Reactions: Putt Pirate

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
@Kevin Musto whats the scouting report on the person from the raptors? Since Danny took over they've been making a big push to have more diversity in hockey ops and player development, so it make some sense that they ultimately go this direction, it has a bit more juice as a story than hiring the hockey nerd tulsky and this org is desperate for some good pr

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
@Kevin Musto whats the scouting report on the person from the raptors? Since Danny took over they've been making a big push to have more diversity in hockey ops and player development, so it make some sense that they ultimately go this direction, it has a bit more juice as a story than hiring the hockey nerd tulsky and this org is desperate for some good pr
You can watch these to get a feel for her:

There's actually been some buzz that maybe she would become the first woman GM in the NBA.

Masai Ujiri (President of the Raptors) is the program director of Basketball Without Borders. This camp basically brings together international U18 basketball players, usually from under scouted countries, and gives them more of an opportunity. A number of attendees have gone on to be drafted in the NBA. Teresa's role in this was establishing the first camps where women could participate. In this regard, I see a lot of parallels to what Jamie Faulkner is trying to do, although on a bigger level.

Teresa is also the VP of player development. The Raptors are known for having arguably the best player development in the league. They have a lot of success with late round picks and undrafted players.

It's true, there's no hockey experience on her resume (although she is a Minnesota Wild fan for whatever that's worth) but I think a GM's job is to surround themselves with the right people and basically connect the dots. I think Teresa is capable of that.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
You can watch these to get a feel for her:

There's actually been some buzz that maybe she would become the first woman GM in the NBA.

Masai Ujiri (President of the Raptors) is the program director of Basketball Without Borders. This camp basically brings together international U18 basketball players, usually from under scouted countries, and gives them more of an opportunity. A number of attendees have gone on to be drafted in the NBA. Teresa's role in this was establishing the first camps where women could participate. In this regard, I see a lot of parallels to what Jamie Faulkner is trying to do, although on a bigger level.

Teresa is also the VP of player development. The Raptors are known for having arguably the best player development in the league. They have a lot of success with late round picks and undrafted players.

It's true, there's no hockey experience on her resume (although she is a Minnesota Wild fan for whatever that's worth) but I think a GM's job is to surround themselves with the right people and basically connect the dots. I think Teresa is capable of that.

thanks for the links/cliffs on her resume...don't think the experience in nhl is really a big deal as long as she has some concepts and ideas to bring from her experience with the raptors to the organization about scouting and player development, ideally these are analytics based as the nba is likely far ahead the nhl in the use of player tracking and data to scout prospects in the entirety of development curve, if they keep davidson around they can rely on him to navigate the cba and contract negotiations with agents until she gets acclimated and allow her to focus on big picture organizational changes in philosophies and implementation of data in decision making process...if these are boxes she's not going to check off then not sure what the interest is there from a hockey perspective

Reactions: Kevin Musto

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well I guess I was right about a woman being interviewed for GM...I just guessed the wrong one.

Still. my point about the Hawks gaining valuable PR as being "with it" and politically correct in giving a woman a chance at being GM of anNHL club is as far from "the old boys network" and the old "hockey culture" as you can get..and it would win back some of the fans who quit on them after the Beach fiasco abd how it was handled by that old hockey culture ...it would be a new fresh 21st century leap into the future of more diversity and new thinking.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
thanks for the links/cliffs on her resume...don't think the experience in nhl is really a big deal as long as she has some concepts and ideas to bring from her experience with the raptors to the organization about scouting and player development, ideally these are analytics based as the nba is likely far ahead the nhl in the use of player tracking and data to scout prospects in the entirety of development curve, if they keep davidson around they can rely on him to navigate the cba and contract negotiations with agents until she gets acclimated and allow her to focus on big picture organizational changes in philosophies and implementation of data in decision making process...if these are boxes she's not going to check off then not sure what the interest is there from a hockey perspective
Statistically, the Toronto Raptors are the best drafting team in the NBA of the last decade.

They're big on analytics and player tracking data. They do all sorts of things. If you like the On The Clock series the Hawks do around draft time, the Raptors do content like that all time which provides some good insight. The stuff they do seems way ahead of what any NHL team is doing.

And I agree about keeping Davidson around for contracts. That's obviously his specialty.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Whoever gets the job is going to be responsible for assembling a scouting staff and making trades. Familiarity with the potential scouting hires and potential players being procured is simply a must.

I have no idea how anyone here thinks a hiring from outside hockey is a good idea.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Any good PR by hiring a female GM won't last very long if the team continues to suck.
I don't care if it's Tulsky, Resch, or whoever and I don't give a damn about the color of their skin or what chromosomes they have.
Results are how the team will be judged.

Edit: Just no Chia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad