Speculation: Blackhawks GM search

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It is a fair gripe.

Hiring someone without a significant hockey/NHL background is a potential disaster. As someone mentioned earlier ITT, why would you hire a doctor to be your lawyer?

Even a guy like Tulsky IMO needs someone who can help him navigate and avoid the land mines.
What Land mines? In what situations are you afraid of with this scenario. I still don't what y'all exactly fear or think needs to be done to help Tulsky, especially, or an outside the sport Gm... but it's really odd to also see it applied to Tulsky.

This guy was AGM for 2 years, been in the league for 8 years. Will have at LEAST 2 AGMs in charge for a couple years on the staff when he's hired, 3 if Davidson is moved back to AGM. A full club of experienced scouts and staff he can evaluate and decide on, but nobody, not any ideal hire that could exist or option to hire, is going to clean house in a massive way that they need all the connections in the league to replace people with.

What bad situations do you guys think arise from not having connections? Do you think that means he makes less trades, gets worse trade offers? Gets less connections to European players, UFAs? Will not know enough coaching options to hire? Or what is it actually.

If Seattle had hired someone outside I get the concerns, but I think there's this idea it's a solo man job when all talk is how much it's working in a collective. A collective is already there that they can evaluate and adjust. The element of why you're hiring these types is because that's their very experience, evaluating and coordinating to success. There's all this talk like they need help when that's already filled in in the organization.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Tulsky doesn't need any help. He has his hands all over the Canes prospects up to the pros. He doesn't need the extra help like a baseball, basketball person does.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Too bad .. I always would have loved Stevie Y but that was never going to happen.
Is there another classy, smart past player who could rise to the Yzerman level? Someone who played for the Hawks? Larmer?

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
What Land mines? In what situations are you afraid of with this scenario. I still don't what y'all exactly fear or think needs to be done to help Tulsky, especially, or an outside the sport Gm... but it's really odd to also see it applied to Tulsky.

This guy was AGM for 2 years, been in the league for 8 years. Will have at LEAST 2 AGMs in charge for a couple years on the staff when he's hired, 3 if Davidson is moved back to AGM. A full club of experienced scouts and staff he can evaluate and decide on, but nobody, not any ideal hire that could exist or option to hire, is going to clean house in a massive way that they need all the connections in the league to replace people with.

What bad situations do you guys think arise from not having connections? Do you think that means he makes less trades, gets worse trade offers? Gets less connections to European players, UFAs? Will not know enough coaching options to hire? Or what is it actually.

If Seattle had hired someone outside I get the concerns, but I think there's this idea it's a solo man job when all talk is how much it's working in a collective. A collective is already there that they can evaluate and adjust. The element of why you're hiring these types is because that's their very experience, evaluating and coordinating to success. There's all this talk like they need help when that's already filled in in the organization.

Elliot Friedman was recently talking that the progression for Tulsky in Carolina, is to begin communicating outside the organization. Meaning as of now he doesn't talk to other GMS AGMs and I am assuming agents.

He will have contract negotiations, trade talks and negotiations, agent relations (ie. angry phone call WTF isn't my guy getting so and so)

He will have to manage a coaching staff, a scouting staff and have credibility in the room.

I don't mean it as an insult to him, but you can shake up the culture of the team and think outside of the box while still acknowledging the importance of someone in the organization having significant hockey and NHL background.

I was suspicious that the Hawks would f*** this up when Verbeek's name was never mentioned, now that I read the Athletic article about Foley's replacement and what they want a play-by-play guy to do....I don't think it matters anymore.

I fear This team is going to be irrelevant for a long time.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
64B091BE-0214-4B44-9AF3-29A8436F89C7.png

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Is it too much to ask for our next GM to be someone with actual hockey management experience that isn’t Chia?

I guess I’m Team Tulsky. Hungry outsider that knows the game and how to build a team up. I’d hope that he’d have more resources at his disposal in an O6 market versus a smaller southern market, too.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Is it too much to ask for our next GM to be someone with actual hockey management experience that isn’t Chia?

Nah haven’t you heard we should be really happy about a MLB assistant GM coming over to tinker with hockey. Don’t worry he has a support system of failed pro and amateur scouts to back him up to ease him into the position while he learns on the fly. He also played goalie in high school and his family is in hockey so it should be a “home run”. He’s a “hockey guy” with 15 years MLB experience.

Last edited:

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Per Friedman:

“Chicago’s GM finalists appear to be incumbent Kyle Davidson, Tampa Bay director of hockey operations Mathieu Darche and Cubs assistant GM Jeff Greenberg.

This has been an interesting process. One of the things we’re all trying to get a handle on is how serious the Blackhawks were about non-hockey candidates Greenberg and Raptors Vice-President Teresa Resch? Were they legit candidates, or performative optics? Multiple sources at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment indicated Resch didn’t think this was the right thing for her, but felt Chicago was legit in its interest. (One thing about the Raptors, they pay very well.)

Greenberg apparently knocked it onto Waveland Avenue in his interview(s), which, I believe, led to a conversation about what it would really mean if someone with no hockey experience led your hockey operations. How would that work? What would you need around him? Would core players, potential free-agent/trade targets and fans buy in? Davidson was CEO Danny Wirtz’s favourite to begin this process, and Darche clearly impressed, too. Honestly don’t know how to handicap this one.”

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't know how anybody can say if one of those 3 would be a good GM or not... or if a guy like Tulsky would be.
All we know is that Chiarelli isn't the guy we should hire based on past work.

Reactions: Pertti

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Yeah, can we all just be glad Chia isn't gonna be the GM. Because that would've been terrible and also align perfectly with all the other things that this org has done recently.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I do find it interesting that the same people that say "you don't need to have played the game to analyze it" are the ones that are hyper critical of the potential of an outside the box hire. Whoever they hire the most important thing will be how they structure the new organization and who they structure it with.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I do find it interesting that the same people that say "you don't need to have played the game to analyze it" are the ones that are hyper critical of the potential of an outside the box hire. Whoever they hire the most important thing will be how they structure the new organization and who they structure it with.
I don't think outside the box is a problem, it's more the "being smarter than everybody else" problem. Right now, the Hawks try to get a clean sheet and do everything just to get a neutral image back. This does not feel like outside box.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I’d agree that you don’t need to have played hockey to be GM, but that’s not to say that someone without a background of hockey managerial experience is a good fit for the top job of hockey ops in an organization either.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Well I guess out of those guys I'd pick Darche. Something tells me we will get more of the same from the last few years with Davidson. Hell Stan might still be in his ear.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Well I guess out of those guys I'd pick Darche. Something tells me we will get more of the same from the last few years with Davidson. Hell Stan might still be in his ear.
Davidson has worked in the league 12 years. Is their own person.

Darche has worked in hockey managment less than 3 years, how does that not bother you as well?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Well it won't be Darche.

Reportedly Danny wants Davidson. Jamie has ties to the Cubs so she probably wants Greenberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad