Speculation: Blackhawks GM search

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Davidson has worked in the league 12 years. Is their own person.

Darche has worked in hockey managment less than 3 years, how does that not bother you as well?

I mean if it’s down to those choices it’s fine. He’s been learning under a good GM and from my understanding he’s well respected around the league. Plus he played.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Imagine if they tried going after Verbeek..
OK, it's imagined, and he turns down this dumpster fire and goes to the Ducks still.

That better? We can imagine they offered Gorton the job too... and he goes to the Habs instead. I don't get how you haven't learned for months this job and situation was a mess. And Rocky made it stay a chaos pit hurting their future.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Id be interested in not Davidson solely because if they choose another option Davidson will continue to be the assistant GM at the start. I’d personally prefer, say Darche, with Davidson then just Davidson.
Again i know barely anything about these candidates outside of their brief bios.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Leadership reflects attitude and I’m beginning to accept the attitude of ownership here is based in fear of not weakening their brand instead of building a kick ass hockey team.

If that chick from Toronto did a great job analytically assembling championship level talent then I’d much rather have her than someone who has already been in this organization. It cannot be Davidson. He was in this organization for all of the failures since 2015 and we need new blood. What a myopic hire that would be.

As a fan I get the impression the Wirtz family cares more about saving money and promoting Blackhawks social media and creepy borderline propaganda in their podcasts than they do about building a winner. Their priorities are not in line with mine as a fan and a Davidson hire would underline that very strongly

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I’m fine with any of them, as long as it wasn’t Chia. A few are mad about Davidson because he traded Nylander, but that’s all Stan’s fault. Point your anger in his direction.

Reactions: TheDachKnight

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
OK, it's imagined, and he turns down this dumpster fire and goes to the Ducks still.

That better? We can imagine they offered Gorton the job too... and he goes to the Habs instead. I don't get how you haven't learned for months this job and situation was a mess. And Rocky made it stay a chaos pit hurting their future.

You try to cover it up and defend the team but there were not even reports of the hawks reaching out to them which is a failure on their part. Two much better GM canidates passed them by while they went out of their way to interview Chia

Reactions: TKB

TJBrocker

May 6, 2019
But why string it out this long, and go through all this faux singing and dancing if you're just going to hire the guy who's already in the seat :huh:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Meh.. I guess out of those 3, I'll take the guy who has been a part of a winning organization recently (Darche) but I hope whoever it is is the best choice and not just to save money or be the biggest kiss ass.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Davidson should have the heads up on possible moves but that’s only because of his current employment…Darche and Davidson over Cubbies guy, I say

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I've never liked Darche as a hire and was one mentioned right away because he was a Montreal finalist.

Unless, and in this process I've still seen no reporter or fan do so, show us what Darche has done hockeywise for club.

I still just have a hard time seeing what makes him better than even Greenberg. I dont see his under 3 years in Tampa meaning key guys will follow him at all. Idk if he's a metrics data guy or not. He was supposedly in front of analytics but also the cap guy, when his GM was the cap guy already. What did he even do there when Bresbois is already the guy who helped write the CBA and has been the cap guy for years there.

It just reminds me of people leaching off The Patroits in the NFL because anyone there must helping them be great, but no, you gotta have some credible claims of your own success, not just having been there.

Last edited:

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
As much as I bitch, I still enjoy watching them play. Always will. I don't expect wins right now and I don't think the staff does either. This year has turned into an experimental season.

With that said, this team doesn't seem to have any sure things in the pipeline. Makes assembling an all star player development team that much more important.

I'm excited for the next GM to start already, regardless of who it is. This team has felt stagnant even while Bowman was here. It will be nice for someone to come in and give this team some direction, no matter which way they decide to take it.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
This ownership is clueles, only reason for those cups was Scotty Bowman, he had his finger prints over everything. Now it’s garbage and will remain garbage.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
This ownership is clueles, only reason for those cups was Scotty Bowman, he had his finger prints over everything. Now it’s garbage and will remain garbage.

Honest question. Who would be a better owner? Reinsdorf?

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Per Friedman:

“Chicago’s GM finalists appear to be incumbent Kyle Davidson, Tampa Bay director of hockey operations Mathieu Darche and Cubs assistant GM Jeff Greenberg.

This has been an interesting process. One of the things we’re all trying to get a handle on is how serious the Blackhawks were about non-hockey candidates Greenberg and Raptors Vice-President Teresa Resch? Were they legit candidates, or performative optics? Multiple sources at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment indicated Resch didn’t think this was the right thing for her, but felt Chicago was legit in its interest. (One thing about the Raptors, they pay very well.)

Greenberg apparently knocked it onto Waveland Avenue in his interview(s), which, I believe, led to a conversation about what it would really mean if someone with no hockey experience led your hockey operations. How would that work? What would you need around him? Would core players, potential free-agent/trade targets and fans buy in? Davidson was CEO Danny Wirtz’s favourite to begin this process, and Darche clearly impressed, too. Honestly don’t know how to handicap this one.”
Well, if it really is these 3, then Darche it should be. I really think they need to hire someone from outside the organization. And we can all call him STAN DARCHE!

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Calling him Stan because you think he'll be like another Bowman?
b7e87ec6-9c48-4ffc-bb4e-aa4df44b4abd_text.gif

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I do find it interesting that the same people that say "you don't need to have played the game to analyze it" are the ones that are hyper critical of the potential of an outside the box hire. Whoever they hire the most important thing will be how they structure the new organization and who they structure it with.

I partly agree, but I’m having trouble seeing how extensive hockey knowledge wouldn’t be an important prerequisite to a gm position. It would be like a company hiring a director of marketing who has no experience with marketing. Or a director of real estate who has no experience in real estate. Doesn’t make sense.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Blackhawks had the chance to invest in Apple and chose to invest in Pets.com.

Cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad