Speculation: Blackhawks GM search

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It’s probably unfair to assume that someone has limited knowledge of the game because they also look at spreadsheets. I’m sure there are lots of people who understand both things.

This is so true.

Look at Darryl Sutter. Old-school hockey guy down to his bones. Also an open advocate for analytics and their usage not just in team building, but in Xs and Os coaching. He's a guy that wants every bit of information out there to get the job done.

Now, it's worth pointing out Daryl Sutter was a TERRIBLE GM when he had the job in Calgary. He overruled his scouts on draft day to make terrible picks, he made terrible trades, he was basically bad at everything. Sutter is a guy that nows how to get the most out of a finished product in the now... which makes him a great coach, and a terrible GM.

So there's something to be said for not only finding a smart hockey guy, but the RIGHT smart hockey guy for the RIGHT position.

Tulsky is that guy.

Reactions: d rake

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
So Darche is pretty much like Bowman in 2010 in that he joined a team that pretty much had its entire team set to contend.

sure Darche could have had the opportunity to mention guys like Maroon, and Goodrow but he really didn’t do much to help Tampa at all if he really had no role with them prior to 2019 which is what I’m worried about. How good is he actually
Stan Bowman started working in the Hawks front office in 2001. He didn’t join a team that was set to contend, he helped put it together.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
No one is assuming that ..... but when we hear an "analytics guy" is the front runner and JD pipes in endorsing such, it makes me cringe.
To be fair, the comment I responded to made it seem like you were assuming that because you directly said it.

If you were just poking fun at JD, I get it. I just don’t necessarily feel like we should be writing off candidates completely just because they consider analytics when evaluating players and contracts.

If they’re beholden to nothing but a spreadsheet, ya they probably shouldn’t be considered, but I doubt they’d be interviewing if that were the case.

Reactions: d rake

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
The Hawks love dumping bad news on Friday afternoons. I wonder if they hire Chia today?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
All I know is that if the Hawks hire Chia, I’d somehow be less inclined to spend money on them for that than even compared to jackass Rocky rant.

Reactions: jls24

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wonder if a new GM comes in and starts making big trades around the deadline. Fleury and Murphy to Edmonton or something like that

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Saw this today and don’t know but it’s gotta be a joke right? I’d love it but not sure it’s 100% legit
25CB6852-3F25-44B1-A3FD-B5691285AD07.png

Reactions: TheDachKnight

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
If you’re a GM and you don’t use analytics you’re an idiot.

If you’re a GM and you only use analytics you’re an idiot.

A tool that should be used but shouldn’t be the only tool.

The only thing I hate about analytics is people making up their minds about a player from a Jfresh chart or ones like them and nothing else. But that’s the norm now. Every signing in the off-season around here has it yet you have no idea how the player chemistry will be with the new team or how the chemistry factored into it with their old team.

Last edited:

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
So it's been almost a week since their last interview. Are they done? It's about a month until the trade deadline and you'd think they would like to get this done so the new GM can have enough games for evaluating players. Only 14 games from now until the trade deadline which isn't that many. A quick three coming Thursday, Friday, and Sunday.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
So it's been almost a week since their last interview. Are they done? It's about a month until the trade deadline and you'd think they would like to get this done so the new GM can have enough games for evaluating players. Only 14 games from now until the trade deadline which isn't that many. A quick three coming Thursday, Friday, and Sunday.

I would bet they've extended an offer to someone at this point.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It looks like Hawks are interviewing 2 more candidates....one is said to be from an"untraditional" source?

Coukdvut because woman?

The name Meghan Chayka is being speculated by some thinking about what would be most "ubtraditional"..

She is the sister of John Chayka (Arizona Coyotes) and us a Abidjan data scientists who runs Stahletes (a spirts analytics company)..

She us I believe in her 20s ,unmarried and gorgeous.

Hawks would win any PR "woke crowd" approval and put the Beach thing ofctgevold boys culture i to the long past as they woukd get megapoints for being "with it" ..if they hired her to be GM.
You coukd not changectge vulture more.. New Thinking..smart analytics guru ...and did I say gorgeous ...certainly her press conferences will be well attended and Hawks would capture attention across the Sports World if they went so bold as to give this young woman the chance to re-organize the hockey ops of the Blackhawks as GM.

Anyway..if she got the interview and the job it would be a huge shakeup to the entire NHL ...and groundbreaking...

I woukd indeed be the most "untraditional" hire ever made in the NHL.
It woukd be fin to compare the Tulsky interview with a pisdible Meghan Chayka interview with Danny asking them what needs to be done to make the Blackhawks contenders again...

Ifvtge answers differed that would becfasconatong and Danny and the interview panel Should then give tge job to the most impressive answer..

They have assistants who can negotiate contracts ..but the key to being a GM is the overall direction and strategy for constructing a championship caliber team...How you draft..hiwcyou develop. what pieces to trade for..

That requires a special "hockey mind"..

So maybe she has that special talent to get the right pieces in place?

Deserves at least to be interview for the job.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

was a phd student at harvard studying physics and chemistry and then did post doctrine work at a naval research lab in nano technology...did not realize this guy was so well accomplished beyond just being a data scientist in hockey, seems like the clear cut hire among the candidates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad