Sportsnet: Bennett has asked for a trade [ Part II ]

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The original quote was right.. there are people Flames should waive before him. Bennett is one of the last they should waive. And there is a lot of people that there is no chance they should waive. Not really mental gymnastics, Bennett is the last of the players you should waive, the rest are off the table completely. You had asked this before, not really sure why had an issue with what was said?
No I have an issue with a line of "Bennett is one of the last players we would waive" apparently actually meaning "hes the last of our bad hockey players we would waive".

Again if I said "Svechnikov is one of our best players" should I reasonably expect you to know that I actually meant "Svechnikov is one of the best players except for our actual good players"?

Pucknut22

Jan 25, 2021
No I have an issue with a line of "Bennett is one of the last players we would waive" apparently actually meaning "hes the last of our bad hockey players we would waive".

Again if I said "Svechnikov is one of our best players" should I reasonably expect you to know that I actually meant "Svechnikov is one of the best players except for our actual good players"?

He is one of the last players you would waive though, because you wouldn't waive people who are considered to be "above" him. You asked who I would waive before Bennett and I gave a list of 3 which should be waived before Bennett. He is still contributing, although not as much as one would like to see, but still has some value, is young and not worth losing for free on waivers because he would be picked up. Why would they waive Bennett when there is a trade speculation about him where multiple people have said they wish their team would trade for him, obviously he still has some form of value. Generally teams don't waive their best players for risk of losing them, so they shouldn't even be in the consideration to be waived. We can agree to disagree, it is just the way its worded but I won't lose sleep over you disagreeing with my opinion.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Well you better get used to it because its a big part of hfboards. Its like saying Mantha's actually a PPG player, he's just snakebitten right now.

Beef Cake

Aug 10, 2016

Svechnikov is the last of our best players!

Technically right, but nobody would actually say it in conversation.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

What it means is that Calgary may have problems right now, Bennett is not the one leading those issues.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
FWIW, the 4th period trade board published today has the Canes interested in Bennett. Not sure what they’d give up for him, sounds like the Flames are asking a lot for him.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Wonder if a Sam Bennett and brandon montour deal would make sense? maybe buffalo adds a pick due to UFA status coming up and retains a little to make salaries work ?

Reactions: banks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What would the Leafs reasonably offer?

I'd be interested in Bennett on the Leafs, but I can't see a reasonable offer. In no way is he worth his QO, and in no way could the Leafs afford that anyway. (I'd assume that Calgary fans are of similar belief, that they wouldn't pay him his QO) So, he's essentially a rental, who so far is a 4 point in 21 game guy. Of course you are hoping that somehow, he catches fire in the offseason again, and that's why you acquire the guy... but this becomes a very challenging deal.

It's almost like one of those deals, where it is conditional. If the Leafs go to X rounds, and Bennett contributes Y, you get a second, on top of the 4th and salary going away originally. As a regular season guy, with a $2.55 mil QO, and Cap hit, contributing 4 points in 21 games, (in a flat cap world) he really doesn't have any value at all. It's that hope that you get one playoffs where he actually shows up, and then he goes elsewhere after. So what could that even be worth?

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty10

Brent Burns Beard