Sportsnet: Bennett has asked for a trade [ Part II ]

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Is the "untapped" potential 25pts instead of 20?
Absolutely! The kid has been mismanaged his whole career. Giordano is on a steady decline, and he is not close to the same player he was 2 years ago. Next season he turns 38 years old while making close to 7 mil. Bennett is still young and seriously needs a change of scenery. Seattle's coaching staff could actually help Bennett reach a new level because Calgary's current and past coaches have been mediocre at best. If he fails in Seattle, the team could just flip him to a contender for assets at the TDL. Bennett always lights it up in the playoffs.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
There will be plenty of 4th liners for them to choose from. They will absolutely grab the vet dman, even if he has fallen a bit.
Honest question: at his salary, does anyone claim Bennett if on waivers today?
Who is also making close to 7 mil. next season. You forgot that part.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Absolutely! The kid has been mismanaged his whole career. Giordano is on a steady decline, and he is not close to the same player he was 2 years ago. Next season he turns 38 years old while making close to 7 mil. Bennett is still young and seriously needs a change of scenery. Seattle's coaching staff could actually help Bennett reach a new level because Calgary's current and past coaches have been mediocre at best. If he fails in Seattle, the team could just flip him to a contender for assets at the TDL. Bennett always lights it up in the playoffs.
Love to have Bennet as our 3C in Van. Don’t know if Benning has even called on him though.
Is Hockey Gaud (Adam Gaudette) fair value?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Who is also making close to 7 mil. next season. You forgot that part.
Maybe they want neither player than?
Why take a player that isn’t worth his contract? What kind of business plan is that?
They can just some other marginal player for much cheaper.
No one is qualifying Bennett at 2.6..... Seattle won’t either. It’s about 3x more than he should be making.

Ledge And Dairy

Maybe they want neither player than?
Why take a player that isn’t worth his contract? What kind of business plan is that?
They can just some other marginal player for much cheaper.
No one is qualifying Bennett at 2.6..... Seattle won’t either. It’s about 3x more than he should be making.
Lol you clearly have no idea what you are talking about

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Being a leaf fan I would trade for him .
Retain a portion of his contract.

Vesey and Engvall .

What a garbage offer. You think if the Flames wanted to dump him, that he would still be a Flame? Bennett won’t be dealt unless something of value comes back as a return.

Reactions: Boomstick

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm willing to bet he gets qualified so I disagree
Just thinking logically, who values a player that doesn't eclipse 20 points over a full 82 game season that highly? Doesn't play center well, doesn't PK, doesn't really make a name for himself physically. What makes you think that he's a 'good' third liner?

He's still living off of his draft pedigree. And it's pretty apparent that he's not getting to where people expected him to. Nobody's paying $2.55m for that.

Ledge And Dairy

Just thinking logically, who values a player that doesn't eclipse 20 points over a full 82 game season that highly? Doesn't play center well, doesn't PK, doesn't really make a name for himself physically. What makes you think that he's a 'good' third liner?

He's still living off of his draft pedigree. And it's pretty apparent that he's not getting to where people expected him to. Nobody's paying $2.55m for that.
1. He's literally eclipsed 20 points in every season but last year (the same season every player on Calgary underperformed)
2. He's actually best at center
3. He can PK to some extent, he's not placed on the first 2 units but he is put on the 3rd
4. Doesn't make a name for himself physically??? Really???

If you have no idea what you are talking about don't pretend to

Reactions: North Man

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
1. He's literally eclipsed 20 points in every season but last year (the same season every player on Calgary underperformed)
2. He's actually best at center
3. He can PK to some extent, he's not placed on the first 2 units but he is put on the 3rd
4. Doesn't make a name for himself physically??? Really???

If you have no idea what you are talking about don't pretend to
He's a tweener. He doesn't do anything well. I'm an Oilers fan who had season tickets in Bennett's draft and pre-draft seasons in the OHL. I've seen a lot of this player throughout his development.

If he was a good center, he'd play center. If he was a good third liner, he'd be on their third line. Bennett has consistently regressed offensively in Calgary because he's been passed internally by numerous players on Calgary's depth chart.

Josh Archibald is a more effective bottom six player than Sam Bennett. I would never pay Archibald $2.55m to play for my team. What does Sam Bennett do that makes you think that other teams would continue to pay him so well?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Bennett will attract attention and value well beyond the normal expectation for a player with his production due to a couple of good playoff runs. It’s probably a poor idea to project those stats over a full regular season to say he’s got “such and such” potential but don’t underrate what GMs will think about how he could fit into a lineup during a playoff run. His value is clearly not in being a consistent performer over a full season beyond as a depth player but I’d argue his playoff performances are also not flukes in that he is certainly capable of ramping up his energy and agitation to a level that makes him both more productive and an incredible pain in the arse to play against over a shorter period.

His playoff showing definitely give him value.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton

He’s actually living off his playoff performances.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He’s actually living off his playoff performances.
Valid. How many examples of players out there that only turn it on for the post-season? I know Briere was a guy that always turned it on, but he was a pretty good player all-around.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Valid. How many examples of players out there that only turn it on for the post-season? I know Briere was a guy that always turned it on, but he was a pretty good player all-around.

How could you forget future HHOFers Pisani and Ward?

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
I still maintain the unrealistic expectations on the player is due to the seriously ridiculous over-valuing of him by the Flames scouts and Flames management who drafted him 4th when he should not have been drafted 4th overall.

Had he been drafted in the late 2nd or early 3rd round where he should have been, then none of the frustration felt by both the player AND THE FLAMES would exist right now.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
How about something around Julien Gauthier? He's been in and out of the Rangers lineup and they have wingers currently younger and in the lineup over him (Lafreniere and Kakko), vets that are signed long term (Panarin and Kreider), and Kravtsov is coming over soon, as well as some other organizational depth at wing closing in on being NHL ready. History of scoring at lower levels, hasn't clicked at the NHL level, but has size and speed. Right handed shot.

Bennett could provide some versatility at center and wing for the Rangers that are one center injury away from Brett Howden or Kevin Rooney going into their top 6. I know Gauthier alone would not be enough, but what would be a realistic add for the Rangers?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Teams usually want their third liners scoring at more than a sub 20pt pace...

Actually now that you bring that up Sutter plays 3C on the Canucks and has 5 points in 21 games.

Anyway, I agree with the other posters, how about Gaudette for Bennett. Flames get more speed and urgency and the Canucks get more, well, Bennett.

If pressed to make the salary match, the Canucks could probably send Virtanen back to Calgary for Dube.

Maybe Gaudette and Virtanen for Bennett and Dube.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad